Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Gonna investigate this 300~ish acre piece soon for deer (rifle) season-- it's a farm property deeded to a conservancy property with the actual fields and buildings leased for use. I'm thinking the cultivated (and maybe pastured) fields are going to be reasonably deer attractive especially with untouched forest and water right there. Getting on the fields is established to be a no-no so I'm going to be trying to cut along them and see what kind of traffic patterns (if any) I can work out. That meadow in the middle of the woods looks like bedding and browse too so I'll be checking it out.

Even if deer aren't hanging out too extensively on this property it's the biggest forest chunk nearby so I bet there'll be some traffic in and out.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

HamAdams posted:

I’d say your blue line there is a pretty good bet for getting onto some deer trails. Should give you a good idea how they’re traveling the area and where the bedding is. Assuming there’s some bedding on that property and it’s not too heavily pressured, I don’t see why it couldn’t hold a whole pile of deer.

I'm hoping that clearing to the west and the creek bottom southwest hold some beds. As far as pressure, it's open to hunting but it's not a game land or state park so I'm hoping it doesn't get a lot of attention.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Flatland Crusoe posted:

In total we hiked 60 miles

:ohno: god drat my knees hurt thinking about that. Congrats on knocking one down though, you’ve def put the work in

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I think I might have my deer season spot. This here is a little conservancy property about (I think) 300 acres in the middle of a lot of farmland, mostly corn and soybeans from what I saw. The big clearing is currently 5' goldenrod and while I saw trails cutting through it I didn't see anything in there that looked like bedding.

You can see from my track and pins though that the rolling woodland just past it was full of trails and food. Curiously I saw little to no poop but lots of seemingly heavy use trails and the most scrapes I've found on a single walk. When I scouted here it was literally raining acorns in places and in a few spots the scrapes and torn up areas even had what looked like acorn fragments lying around.

Where my track doubles over here is a small clearing with a crabapple at one end that was clearly being bedded under, and a scrape on the trail leading in. There's a fallen log upslope of it I could consider setting up on that would give me a 50 yard shot tops at traffic moving through or hanging out there. I doubled back when I came across the blind to the north in this image, but I suspect the hunter using it had the same idea approaching from another direction.

What I have here gives me some good spots (even moreso if I had a tree stand or saddle :sigh:) but I know of an access point to the north of all this I want to go back and push in from to see what else I can see. Based on all this, I really want to see what the area closer to the creek (dark blue line) looks like.

Not sure what the crop situation will be in the surrounding area by the time rifle season opens but I'm hoping that makes the beechnut and acorn situation in this piece a lot more tempting.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Gooch181 posted:

I'm pretty sure opening day will be like a Vietnam jungle patrol, then after that they'll all know to gently caress off to private or non huntable land.

The spot I picked for rifle opener was literally full parking lot and 100 yards past I had to stop for deer loving off to the property across the road

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Outrail posted:

Is eastern states hunting really as bad as hunters spaced 200m apart while deer pinball between them? It sounds hectic.

It depends state by state on how number of hunters and size and number of access opportunities interact, as well as that trope about hunters generally not going too far from their point of access.

I tried to stay closer to home last rifle season and on easy terrain paid for it by being around loads of hunters abd being in spots deer were getting bumped around.

This year I’m scouting a spot about 2 hours into the countryside in which I can get 800 yards from a road if I try real hard. while I expect to see people there I believe between the depth of the parcel and my modest hiking chops i can avoid most of the ‘walk just out of sight of my truck’ hunters.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tias posted:

Anyone know a good resource for bowmaking?

I don’t have any specific posts handy but it gets talked about in here now and then: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3197043

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Finally, my partner had a winning streak and got three Canadas in three outings.

One of those geese was a venerable old creature that weighed a solid 20 lbs. The breasts are seriously the size of beef roasts. My partner wasn't even the first to take a shot at it: I cut a beebee out of its wing that had been entirely healed over. So today has been mostly dedicated to processing this grandfather and its cousins.

After plucking the bird and parting it out, I roasted the carcass. This gave me bones for stock, a whole bunch of delicious goose fat, and about ten ounces of additional shredded meat for adding to risotto or soup.

The legs of the first two geese were pressure cooked with tomatillo salsa, garlic, chili powder and some tomato paste to make into burritos for the freezer. The breasts just came out of the smoker, having become pastrami.

One of the Venerable Goose breasts is also destined to become pastrami, the other is destined for an experimental goose bulgogi.

He's going out deer hunting on Saturday, so I'm excited to do a whole lot more of this over the next week or so!

hell yeah, that all looks incredible

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

PA goon(deer)camp when

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I have a .30-30 and a 6.5CM and pick one or the other to suit where I’m going.

The 6.5 would be perfectly fine up close mind you but i find the .30-30 more carryable in the woods.

Next year I might try to use some of the AR parts I have to frankenstein a PA legal straight wall cartridge rifle but buying another savage would probably end up cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Elchimpster posted:

Is your 6.5 a savage?

https://www.academy.com/p/savage-arms-axis-xp-fde-spiderweb-compact-65-creedmoor-bolt-action-rifle?sku=6-5-creedmoor

I was considering one of these. I know its not fancy but its within my budget.

It’s some kind of Axis, I forget the exact model. But yeah Savage is great value for budget in my experience.