Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

First weekend of Maryland's crossbow season and my husband got a deer! It took about two hours to break it down when he got home, and so we had teriyaki heart for dinner.

My toddler was thrilled with both the animal and with dinner. He has never seen Bambi and now probably never will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

This thread is nearly dead so I'm gonna attempt necromancy by posting this corned venison that we made because it was great

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Clearing out the freezer, this was the last mallard of last season. Pan seared and roasted with chestnut mushrooms and onions, served with a red wine and venison stock pan sauce, rice, and balsamic roasted carrots and green beans.

The sauce broke, but otherwise this was incredible, and both my kids ate it without complaint, which is a rare occurrence. Now we gotta stock back up on birds!

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

the presentation isn't anything I would even think of. It just all would have went on a plate, all mixed up when served.

That's absolutely what we would have done prior to the kids. We have an almost five year old and a 1.5 year old, and they may decide to take exception to any given aspect of a meal, so we have to serve things this way when we can in order to make mealtimes minimally fraught.

The eldest just helped my partner tie sinkers to a bunch of new duck decoys, we're hoping to have a better mallard season than we've been having a goose season up here on the Delaware.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Gotcha.

"up here on the Delaware" In NJ, PA, or NY?

PA, about 30 minutes north of Philly. It's kinda ideal in that it's walkable to hippie coffee shops for me and to a decent hunting spot for my husband. Tho I think NJ may have just posted his spot, so we'll see how this year goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Finally, my partner had a winning streak and got three Canadas in three outings.

One of those geese was a venerable old creature that weighed a solid 20 lbs. The breasts are seriously the size of beef roasts. My partner wasn't even the first to take a shot at it: I cut a beebee out of its wing that had been entirely healed over. So today has been mostly dedicated to processing this grandfather and its cousins.

After plucking the bird and parting it out, I roasted the carcass. This gave me bones for stock, a whole bunch of delicious goose fat, and about ten ounces of additional shredded meat for adding to risotto or soup.

The legs of the first two geese were pressure cooked with tomatillo salsa, garlic, chili powder and some tomato paste to make into burritos for the freezer. The breasts just came out of the smoker, having become pastrami.

One of the Venerable Goose breasts is also destined to become pastrami, the other is destined for an experimental goose bulgogi.

He's going out deer hunting on Saturday, so I'm excited to do a whole lot more of this over the next week or so!