Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boliver_Shagnasty
Jan 27, 2010

A Honey Badger doesn't kill you to eat you, it tears off... your testicles.

So I'm a brand new hunter; planning on going out for the first time this fall to hopefully bag a white-tailed deer. No one in my family or anyone I know well hunts. Where I'm planning on hunting is kind of mountainous(not Everest, but definitely some inclines). I was wondering what some people would recommend as far as the best way to get a hypothetical deer out of the woods. I've done a lot of reading about it; some people use tarps and paracord, some people invest in sleds or what are essentially hunting hand trucks, and a lot of what I've read says to just butcher the deer in the field, pack it in those white mesh game bags and pack it out like that. The last option seems like the most appealing to me and just making as many trips as it might take. I'm strong, but dragging a gutted deer for miles up and down hill just sounds awful, but I don't know poo poo. So I was just curious what methods y'all use and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boliver_Shagnasty
Jan 27, 2010

The backpack I use isn't specifically for hunting. I'm planning on using the pack I've used for backpacking for a few trips here and there over the years. It's just a basic internal frame that's pretty big with separate compartments. I didn't want to invest too much in gear right off the bat.

Where's the best place to find out about if it's legal to field butcher the deer? I'm in upstate NY and I haven't found anything in the wanton waste laws that says I can't, but like I said, I'm brand new, so I don't know if I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Also, why do you prefer gutless? I figured gutting to get those sweet, sweet tenderloins was what most people preferred?

Boliver_Shagnasty
Jan 27, 2010

Awesome insight from folks. Already ordered some Kuiu bags, based on the recommendations.

And I guess I'll be looking more into the gutless method. Thanks for everyone's help!