Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Those DSLR pictures are amazing!

I’m trying to get back into hunting as I haven’t gone since middle school and the TFR thread has helped me figure some things out. Looking forward to this thread as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Those dogs are having a lot of fun!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

HamAdams posted:

I’m in upstate NY and can anecdotally say I knew a guy who would quarter and pack out his deer because he hunted a particularly hard to access area, but I have no idea if it’s actually legal. I’ve always just gutted and dragged since I have the luxury of hunting private land with 4 wheeler access

Growing up we were private land too so it was gut, stick it in a pickup bed, rinse the cavity and hang it in the barn before we took it to a processor.

I figure I’ll put the seats down in my Rav4 and have a tarp to catch anything left after I field dress my potential future deer. I will update on how bad of a decision this turns out to be this fall.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

Target recurve kinda feels like the easy dip my toes in option, so I'm very interested. Would you happen to have a link?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3197043

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Thanks for that post! I took my bow out to the local haybales and did some shooting this morning. I have a ways to go before turkey season this fall, but it was good to get some shots in.

I acquired my bow from a friend’s parents on a whim and have been doing various things to improve it. I put a new sight on this spring and am working on replacing my arrows as one hit the steel backing on a haybale today and is no longer an arrow, just a shaft and some fletchings!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Hopping like a jackalope!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Flatland Crusoe posted:

It’s just very American.

From a safety perspective it does work, it’s way more dangerous driving to go hunt than the actual hunting part. As far as serious injuries falling out of treestands and hypothermia much more likely to hurt/kill hunters than gunshots.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable hunters in the US with regard to everything you are tested on but the knowledge transfer is much more tribal.

To build on this, most states partner with the national nonprofits involved in species conservation to educate hunters. The National Wild Turkey Foundation, Ducks Unlimited and Pheasants Forever all want to get more people engaged with their respective game animals, and Minnesota has an optional state run online class for deer. The book of rules from the Department of Natural Resources is there in a box wherever you buy a tag. I went to a hardware store for my tags and they had a big stack of DNR booklets.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/gohunting/learn-hunt-opportunities.html

I’m also spacing on which goon is involved with a local chapter of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers which is an advocacy and education organization in the US and Canada.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

charliebravo77 posted:

I'm involved in BHA as well as IL's Learn to Hunt program as a mentor. As I mentioned in the OP, R3 is a big concern for conservation orgs and state agencies right now.

Well the squirrel hunting talk in the TFR thread has made a future squirrel hunter out of me. I think I'll get a small game license and bring my .22 next weekend when I'm chasing deer with my bow. Having a cooler full of ice should keep the squirrels until I get home and turn them into stew.

It might be just having my .22 on my shoulder when I'm doing mid-day trail work if I can't carry that and my bow at the same time, but I should be able to take home a few squirrels if they are as active as they were last weekend.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

crazypeltast52 posted:

Well the squirrel hunting talk in the TFR thread has made a future squirrel hunter out of me. I think I'll get a small game license and bring my .22 next weekend when I'm chasing deer with my bow. Having a cooler full of ice should keep the squirrels until I get home and turn them into stew.

It might be just having my .22 on my shoulder when I'm doing mid-day trail work if I can't carry that and my bow at the same time, but I should be able to take home a few squirrels if they are as active as they were last weekend.

Checking my DNR regs, I can have my squirrel gun with me while I'm bowhunting deer so I'm all set there once I pick up a license.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Very nice!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

What apps do you all use to check trail camera pictures when you are in the field?

I have an adapter to match my iPhone to the SD card, but there seem to be a bunch of janky apps out there for SD card readers.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Flatland Crusoe posted:

I have the actual Apple SD to lightning connector and it’s even spotty to use at best with the Apple photo import app. It seems to depend on the SD card and the latest IOS screw up as to whether or not it works. I hate wrestling trail cams. Good luck!

Outrail posted:

I have an Anker USB C reader adapter that works with android to make it as though it's just another folder in my phone. Works pretty well for a $20 piece if plastic.

Thanks! I bought a two pack camera thing off Camofire that was made by Stealth Cam and had an adapter, but I couldn’t figure out how to get my phone to read the card. It pointed me to iBrary which was the app that I wasn’t sure about initially, but it seemed to work ok once I poked around with it some more.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

That looks like an amazing trip!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Very nice! Picking up my venison from the processor soon!

For those wondering, you can move a deer in the back of a Rav4 if you put a tarp down. Or no tarp, but that involves more cleaning afterwards.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

We filled our buck tags the first day, but the does in my bag limit are taking longer. It is back to bow season for me so I put in a few hours in a tree saturday morning and will be doing more on Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nice tent. I bought a used one that was the right price, but it may find a new home if I upgrade next year.