Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thanks for making the thread! If anybody wants to know about New Mexico hunting, I've gone after deer and elk with one success in elk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Verman posted:

I'm a fan of upland hunting. It involves hiking, skilled shooting, working with a dog, and meat I enjoy eating. I enjoy it. Out here in Washington we mostly focus on pheasant and grouse but we've also got chukkars. The first time I hunted out in Washington was wild. Being used to the thick forests of Michigan hunting ruffed grouse, and hunting peasants in desert sage of eastern Washington was a crazy change. The sage rubs on your gear and you smell better after hunting than you started.

Hey, is this just south of Highway 26, north of the Saddle Mountains, between Vantage and Royal City?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Verman posted:

Yes it is. It was all burned, leading to a pretty poo poo hunt.

Knew it... the shape of Sentinel Gap is pretty burned into my brain at this point. My brother shot a monster mule deer down near Sand Hollow Lake; I hope to some day move back to Washington and go out around there for hunting.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

charliebravo77 posted:

Whether pronghorn can or do jump fences is an often debated topic with the commonly held opinion being that they can, but don't like to. I watched 3 different pronghorn (2 bucks and a doe) do it while driving to/from MT and managed to get one of them on camera:

I watched an entire herd, about 20-30 animals, run up to a fence and hop over it here in New Mexico. My brother and I had stalked up about 20 yards from them before they finally noticed us and took off. Seriously cool animals.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

charliebravo77 posted:

They're the most uniquely American animal out there. They're also pretty tolerant of people getting close since they are the fastest land animal on the continent since the American cheetah is extinct. Generally speaking you can often stalk well within rifle distance without spooking them since they know they can outrun everything on the landscape. They're one of my favorite animals to watch and hunt and the meat is way better than lots of people claim.

It was an incredible experience just sneaking up on them like that, and had I known I'd still be in NM this fall (thanks COVID) I'd have put in for a tag and gone to the exact same spot.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My mother-in-law made seekh kebabs out of a package of my ground elk yesterday and they were fantastic. Of course she doesn't use a recipe, but I bet any recipe for lamb seekh kebabs would work. We just baked them in the oven at about 360 degrees because we were afraid they'd fall apart on the grill.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

armorer posted:

I've made a number of different Lebanese/Syrian recipes calling for ground lamb with ground venison instead, and they've all come out really well (kibbe and stuffed peppers being the best two so far.)

Imagining kibbeh nayyeh made from venison or elk straight from the field... I'd give it a shot, if I was hunting somewhere cold.

I'm looking at the few elk roasts I still have in the freezer and contemplating elk biryani or pilav. I don't have the heart to use loin meat in a recipe where it'll end up cooked through, though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Outrail posted:

A cow in the freezer is worth a bull in the bush in my mind.

Agreed, and well done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Outrail posted:

On black bear. I can get a tag and my area is crawling with them so conservation wise I'm okay shooting one. Has anyone here taken them? The internet seems to think they're pretty hard to spot and stalk, are they hard to hunt if you don't want to use bait?

I spent 5 days hunting black bear in southwestern Oregon and saw one, briefly. I get the impression that a lot of people in non-bait/non-dog states just get a bear tag in case they see one during their other hunts, rather than going after them specifically.

Note that this was my first bear hunt, I was in unknown terrain, and the terrain was also extremely rugged, so you may well do better in your own area.