Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I agree completely regarding bow hunting ethics. I have a compound bow I inherited from an uncle who hunted, but I'm not good enough with it to use it. PA allows crossbow hunting during archery season, so I use a crossbow instead. Even still, I've passed on countless shots that I would take during rifle or muzzleloader seasons simply because they were a bit longer range than I'm comfortable at with the crossbow. (Granted, among my few hunting friends, I'm the one most likely to lose an animal because I wasn't comfortable with a given shot opportunity. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I mostly tree stand hunt white tail in the northeast as well, and so far I've been fine with pretty rudimentary scent control. I shower with unscented products, apply unscented deodorant, and wash my hunting clothes with unscented detergents. After the season ends, I store them in plastic bins that are advertised as airtight. I routinely have deer approaching within 30 yards or so of my stand, sometimes much closer.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pham Nuwen posted:

My mother-in-law made seekh kebabs out of a package of my ground elk yesterday and they were fantastic. Of course she doesn't use a recipe, but I bet any recipe for lamb seekh kebabs would work. We just baked them in the oven at about 360 degrees because we were afraid they'd fall apart on the grill.

I've made a number of different Lebanese/Syrian recipes calling for ground lamb with ground venison instead, and they've all come out really well (kibbe and stuffed peppers being the best two so far.)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I've made raw kibbe a number of times, but not from venison. This was some of the last batch I made, using the recipe from the Zahav cookbook. I have a few different recipes for it that mostly just differ on how much of any given spice they add. I used Bob's Mill red bulgur because it was all I could find, but it's a bit too coarse for my tastes. I mean, it works and tastes fine, I just prefer a finer bulgur.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

gently caress yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Pron on VHS posted:

Help me hunt squirrels. How do I find them? I am going into hardwood forests around 10AM, and slowly walking. Don’t see any squirrels at all. Should I get a squirrel call whistle? There are acorns all over the ground, where the hell are they

From my experience you need to sit still for ~20 minutes or so, and then the squirrels start popping out everywhere. 10am might also be a bit late, depending on the time of year.