Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
What about storing your hunting clothes in a bag with some pine or cedar boughs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

charliebravo77 posted:

They're the most uniquely American animal out there.

What about the America bird? :911:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Ophidian posted:

The turkey is pretty awesome.

I meant the Eagle, but yeah.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

alnilam posted:

Of deer, a biologist once told me you could kill bucks all day and you wouldn't impact population trajectory much at all, you'd just end up with one extremely happy buck.

I've heard a bunch of people say the same thing.
One buck can bone dozens of does and dozens of fawns will be born.

Dozens of bucks can run a train on one doe and one fawn will be born.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Are those Canada geese I spy?
Good gently caress those assholes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Tias posted:

420 smoke rear end in a top hat geese erry day

Hell's to the yeah! Smoke 69 of them bitches.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I've got an opportunity to go pheasant hunting somewhat soon.
What gun should I take?

I've got the following options:
Single barrel 20g with full fixed choke
O/U 20g fixed full and mod
2x SxS 12g both with full and I/mod
O/U 12g with multiple chokes from cyl to X/full <---- this one is the gun I use for trap, so its got 32" barrels, + extended chokes, probably not the most ideal to carry all day.

I'm not sure the type of terrain that I'm going to be hunting, as a field vs forest would probably have some bearing on choice. Its land managed/owned by a local fish and game club or something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Verman posted:

What part of the country are you hunting in?

I hunt pheasants and grouse out here in Washington state, mostly on the eastern side of the state where the terrain is often pretty open rolling farmland or dry desert. The birds to tend to gravitate towards the trees/brush/water so I've made some tight shots as well.

I've always used my 12g with a modified choke. In my experience for what I hunt, I prefer to have a tighter pattern for when that bird gets away from us, or flushes before the dogs even get to it. You have to be an accurate shot up close but for what I hunt, shots are rarely happening within 10 yards, especially if the birds have been hunted already and are easily spooked. With dogs, you might get a better sense of where the birds are and be able to prepare your shot as you approach. Without dogs, you might end up stepping on birds if they're holding still early in the season. I'll say, even when I hunt grouse in tighter forest, I still use my modified choke because its what I'm used to so I never notice it being an issue.

As for shot size, I started using lead 7 shot when I moved out here and just found it wouldn't knock the birds down. I shot a lot of birds, some kept flying and others knocked down and took off running. Once I switched to 6, I had much more success dropping them on the spot. I know some guys out here use 5, especially if they have to use non toxic shells.

Either of these would be my guns of choice, probably leaning towards the sxs 12
O/U 20g fixed full and mod
2x SxS 12g both with full and I/mod

Thanks to both for the replies, I'll be in Southern Ontario. Norfolk county. Temperatures are still decent (i'm that jerk off that still wears shorts till November) but by the time I actually go it might be a bit colder. I'm pretty sure there won't be dogs involved. I don't know how much hunting pressure the land gets, its not *that* far from large cities so it might be fairly pressured. I've read there aren't too many places left in Ontario with wild pheasant around these days. Mostly its game farms etc.. I'll try to pick up some shells with #6 in them.

Hopefully I'll get one or two and I can join the ranks rather than living vicariously through the rest of you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Just keep in mind, you don't have to be dead silent.
Despite popular myth, wild animals make noise too.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Outrail posted:

Gooncamp with guns sounds like a fantastic idea.

Once the plague is done with and international travel is allowed again, we're doing goon hunting trip to New Zealand for Himalayan Tahr.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

^^^ As someone who has used this exact thing as an excuse as to why "I haven't gotten around to hunting yet", I can say it is definitely intimidating.

I took the following class: https://www.ofah.org/aftertheshot/ in the before times, and I definitely learned a bunch of poo poo, not just about cutting up dead animals, but also about Chronic Wasting Disease and some other sciency stuff related to deer and deer hunting.
Problem being I never got around to using any of the info I learned, so while the course wasn't a waste, my own lack of initiative etc means that I've forgotten a bunch of poo poo that I did learn.

I feel like I probably remember enough to go out and chop up a deer in the woods, but I also think there'd be a gang of poo poo (meat, hide etc) that would go to waste. because my techniques would be lacking precision.

I could just take it to a butcher, but I don't have any local places to actually hunt. So it'd be blast deer, take to place near hunting location, possibly drive home ( few hours) drive back in a day or two (a few more hours) to pick up, or blast deer, drive a few hours with carcass, take to processor closer to home. I guess if its cold enough, I won't have to worry about meat spoilage but who knows what it might be like when it happens.

In other words, more excuses.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 10, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Outrail posted:

For both of my deer I kept one foreleg whole and froze it. Serving a whole deer leg looks pretty speccy and is great for entertaining a larger crowd. If its too you can always use a saw/hacksaw to cut it into two smaller pieces to fit into the pot/roasting pan

Or use the leg as a handle and just bite pieces off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

If one is hunting in the winter, but only has uhhhh "green" camo, (the real tree style) is it even worth the effort to wear that camo? Its an area where there would be (probably lots of) snow on the ground, and a mixture of broadleaf and evergreen trees. Also not hunting from a blind or stand.