Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Buteo
Dec 27, 2017

what?
Oh hey, a new and slightly less intimidating hunting thread!

Growing up in the greater NYC area, I rarely interacted with hunters and hunting until grad school and starting a career in conservation, and then suddenly 75% of the people I knew hunted. I lurked the TFR thread, worked deer checks and youth pheasant hunts, and absorbed a lot of Steve Rinella media to build interest and knowledge. I took hunter safety courses and had a deer biologist as a mentor, and shot my first deer at 29. Hunting in the northeast is usually from a stand, but fresh snowfall let us do a spot-and-stalk hunt on a wooded hillside and was pretty much the coolest thing I’ve ever experienced. Hoping to progress to bowhunting in the next year or two but that's another level of intimidating (and equipment cost).

I mostly hunt to make use of/improve my outdoor skills, have an excuse to cook new things, and reduce dependence on industrial livestock farming. Between venison and CSA chickens I know exactly where my protein comes from and who’s touched it. Hunting an animal and turning it into food is weirdly empowering.

You guys willing to serve as mentors are seriously amazing. Even with all of the information available online, having someone there to plan, point out sign, and reassure me before that first shot was pretty necessary for me to have a successful first season. I hope to do the same when I have some more experience under my belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU