Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I went on a big game hunting trip last year with one of my profs to learn the ropes and while I learned a lot none of us were able to take any game. I saw some whitetail from my blind but it was muzzleloading season and I wasn't comfortable making a longer range shot as a beginner, especially on a rifle that wasn't one of mine. Hopefully I'll be able to do a hunt with some friends this year to get my own delicious meat.

Sprue posted:

My partner tried to hunt the skunk last night that's been terrorizing the poultry and causing havoc with the dogs. They got several shots off but didn't hit her, despite having fine accuracy at much longer range. They think their 22 is sighted in at distance but not accurate at close range, is that even a thing? I think I might try to mount her if they can take her.

Bullets follow a ballistic trajectory so you need to know at what distance the sighting system is zeroed for and adjust or compensate accordingly. Nicer scopes might have holdover reticles to assist with this but practicing with it at difference distances is the best way to know where it's going to hit and at what range to make sure your kills are as painless as possible. This picture exaggerates the angles but illustrates what's happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That is all extremely cool. I've always found GIS stuff to be neat, so thanks for sharing how that process goes and the work involved. It's making me want to do something similar with making a crown land database for my area.