Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andamac
Jan 25, 2004

Two buckets of chicken and a drive to the liquor store.

nadmonk posted:

Any recommendations on good resources / guides for fully processing a deer?

If you have a dog or know a good dog who deserves good things, save all the nastiest gross-rear end trim - silverskin, semi-blood-shot meat, tendons, fascia goo, almost everything but lymph nodes, because gross - that you don't even want to put in your grind pile for dog food. (I fill a crock pot with it, fill whatever space is left, and let it go on low overnight. In the morning, I add a handful or two of rice and/or barley and more water if needed and let it go a few more hours. It ends up like canned dog food.)

Overall as people have said it's simpler than you think. I've done a pig and two elk in my stupid little kitchen, using primarily a stubby Buck knife and a filet knife. (A cleaver and mallet are excellent additions.) On elk it's worth trying to cut flat iron steaks. If you mess up, it's still edible! I do take the main grind piles on the elk to the butcher because they were big and the butcher can add fat easier than I can. I do make batches of sausage at home, though.

A couple of cookie sheets with racks are also extremely good to have to hold meat in the fridge before you pack it up for the freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU