Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

charliebravo77 posted:

Currently across the US (and some places globally) there is a movement called to help increase Recruitment, Retention and Reactivation (R3) of hunters and anglers in every state. The current hunting population is aging out of the sport and new hunters aren't filling in the ranks. Youth programs are generally successful at introducing kids for a couple of years, but as soon as sports/dating/college become priorities many leave hunting by the wayside. A big goal right now is to try and recruit more young adults in the 18-35 year old range to become active in the outdoors. Being an adult-onset hunter myself, this hits home and is something I am particularly passionate about. There's been a hunting thread in TFR for years, but I'm hoping to bring some new people into the fold with this wider audience. Why do we need more hunters? See the next section:

Great intro post OP. I identify with this part. My father is a life-long hunter, and I hunted with him until I lost interest around 15-16 years old. I'm getting back into it now, and I'm excited. Applied for a few local quota hunts on federal land as those hunts occur before regular season opens. I'm going to ask around and see if I can find out what the etiquette is, but I'm assuming I can hike pretty far out and be good for the most part. One of the areas allows for overnight camping, so I'm considering going out the day before and setting up camp. I need to get a good pack and a new tent. I've been eyeing KUIU's stuff, but I feel like there might be better options out there.

Speaking of hunting clothes/camo, I was looking at three options: Sitka's Elevated II, KUIU's Valo, and First Lite's Fusion. I'll be ground hunting whitetail in the Southeast, so I don't know if Sitka's is the best for me since it seems focused towards hunting out of a stand. I really like KUIU's Valo, and have already bought a jacket in that camo. I don't have any pants yet, and I really like these from First Lite. Is it a bad idea to mix/match different camo patterns?

Sitka

KUIU

First Lite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

glynnenstein posted:

If the fit works for you, I think any of these brands have really good options. For years I used an old Sitka outfit and it was really well made and nicely featured, but as it got worn out I've moved to a mix of Kuiu for early season hot weather stuff and First-Lite for later season. The fit, features and fabric of the Kuiu warm weather gear really suits me in Northern Virginia when it's in the 70s in November, but the First-Lite Catalyst worked great for when it finally gets colder. My old Sitka stuff was kinda in-between in weight/temp, but it was an old style and they revised the fabric at some point and I haven't used their newer stuff. I still use an old Cabelas suit for stand hunting when I don't have to hike - super warm but incredibly heavy and bulky. Heh.

I went with a huge Kifaru pack last year too since I like to do a 3-5 day camp while hunting the WMAs, but that's not really anything most people need in the east at all. For more than a decade I liked my Osprey Trailblazer 26L pack to carry all my little stuff and it worked great for day hunting in drag-out territory.

Weather is kind of the same here in Tennessee. I ordered a KUIU jacket to use through the fall, and I'm eyeing Sitka / First Lite for cold weather gear.

Flatland Crusoe posted:

What state are you hunting? I’m currently living in TN but have also hunted in Northern AL as well.

I don’t think the camo pattern matters much at all. If I had to pick one Fusion is the best all around pattern I’ve seen for varied environments. I’m pretty partial to Subalpine personally as well. Elevated is fine on the ground as well as in the air. Elevated 2 fixed the first generation issues. Valo is definitely the better late fall and winter camo pattern from Kuiu. Verde is too green and Vias doesn’t have quite enough micro disruption with too much contrast.

One thing to note is of the 3 companies Kuiu is the only 1 without a Whitetail hunting line of clothing. Of the 3 Sitka is the most athletically cut and First Lite is the most relaxed fit. Kuiu is somewhere in the middle. Sitka is the only 1 of the 3 you can find to try on in store anymore.

I like Sitka and First Lite the most. I have at one point or another had at least half dozen pieces of gear from Sitka, First Lite and Kuiu. I’ve returned, sold or given away the most Kuiu gear of the 3.

I really feel like First Lite has really improved over the last 3 years or so. I also think First Lite is the most economical way to put a system together with General pieces. I would say First Lite has a more straightforward line up to navigate than Sitka and Kuiu. I feel First Lite has the best rain gear of the 3 companies. First Lite has good sales at Black Friday and intermittent smaller sales on seasonal gear. I’ve probably kept the most First Lite pieces so far of the 3 companies.

Kuiu was supposed to be cheaper than Sitka, it was started by the cofounder of Sitka after his non Compete was up to be consumer direct only. I don’t think it’s been less expensive in quite a few years. To me Kuiu seems like it’s lost it’s direction a bit, it’s now been 2 years since the founder died and he was a cult of personality love him or hate him. Kuiu is supposed to be minimal and lightweight. It will definitely have fewer pockets and gizmo’s than Sitka. Kuiu doesn’t put poo poo on sale anymore. Also don’t buy a Kuiu pack, I know from experience. I DO use some random Kuiu gear like their boned out meat bags, those are the best going for deer.

Sitka makes hands down the best pants of the 3 brands IMO. They just have the knee pad thing figured out. I probably have 150 days on my Timberline pants and they are amazing as are the Apex pants. Sitka some times over does their features and makes some hyper niche products. Sometimes I think it’s brilliant like the integrated face mask on their hoodie and sometimes it’s dumb when they put a grunt tube holder specific pocket mid calf. Sitka has the warmest Treestand and Waterfowl gear going hands down. Like set you on fire warm. Sitka is pricey but it’s on sale January thru March. The biggest issue I’ve had with Sitka is buying redundant pieces of gear because they have too many options. Also their packs suck too and their rain gear is mediocre. Watch Hunt of the day and camofire for Sitka closeout sales.

One thing to consider with southern deer hunting is that it feels pretty cold the first 2 hours of the day until the sun breaks and then it’s flat out hot. For this reason plan around layering rather than relying on a single layer of really warm gear.

About the camo pattern, I'll spend way too much time comparing them so good to know it isn't so important. I'll be hunting in TN as well, just deer though...not getting into waterfowl yet. I really like First Lite's bib pants, and considering the price VS Sitka it's probably the better option for me. I'm gonna try to find some Sitka gear in a store near me to see if it's what I'm looking for though. I'd be willing to spend a little more to get something I can wear for at least the next few seasons, but it sounds like all three of these brands are solid buys. Good call about layering. I think some zip-off thermals as a base layer, regular shirt/pants, and a solid bib / jacket combo would be perfect for November, December, and January.

Appreciate all the info guys.