Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
In Manitoba you get your hunters safety just like the states, then ya for waterfowl and upper game bird you just get it at Cabelas or Canadian Tire. If I get a deer tag this year I hear it's the same.

For moose elk and caribou it's a bit weird. There's a season where general licenses apply with a bag limit and there's a season for license holders who've entered the draw system. You're limited in where you can hunt in the province based on your license and certain areas are opened and closed as the wildlife management authorities dictate, in order to maintain a healthy population.

Good thing I have no desire to deal with having to field dress and pack out an animal bigger than a small car so I don't have to figure out all the details.

Question for waterfowl hunters. I only own one suitable shotgun at the moment and my wife and I are both doing more hunting. When we can't borrow a second shotgun I'm using a borrowed one with a stupidly short barrel, 12". I know I have to shoot extremely close in order to get a tight enough pattern to not just piss off or injure a bird, but any idea on just how close? I've only been out with it once and the few opportunities I've had that I would have definitely fired with my long barrel I held fire because it wasn't a close enough pass for it to feel right.

I'm already keeping an eye out for another gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
That's what my primary semi is and what I'm intending to buy. Unfortunately the middle of duck season isn't the best time to be looking for a new 12ga. This is just a stopgap until a good deal comes along.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's dumb. Deer venison in the fridge is way better than some dumb head on the wall.

Been starting to try out duck hunting this fall. Normally I only go out maybe twice a season with friends but my normal fall activity, cyclocross bike racing, is cancelled so I figured I'd do something new.

Duck hunting is pretty fun.

I'm still not great at it. I don't get a lot of time to practice with the shotgun. Beyond that there's also learning proper decoy placement and stuff.

Also, I gotta stop getting dunked over my waders. First time I went out a step too far. Second I was scrambling trying to get at a bird I shot over land that glided into the water and ended up wrecking my phone because I forgot to move it from the jacket pocket. Third time was just last night. My wife who isn't nearly as familiar with canoes thought I was about to flip us over while getting out so she hauled back on the handful of reeds she was holding and turned the boat into me knocking my foot out from under me. It was about -4c when that happened.

Kinda bummed my first season out hunting is probably being cut short. There's already ice forming on the rivers with each night this week being sub zero. Might get out Thursday for one last kick at the can.

And then maybe go for deer.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
drat straight. Brown rear end in a top hat bird makes for good smokeys and we found an awesome looking stew recipe. Toss em in a crock pot w veggies and wait.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
A sausage, basically.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
They pair really well with mini donuts, too!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
From my limited understanding if you're walking trail take the SXS with improved. Shoot #7. They're p delicate birds so you'll improve your chances of hitting em with a wider pattern without completely obliterating the bird. They usually don't flush until you're practically stepping on them. Never hunted upland birds in fields. Keep an eye out for rabbit while you're hunting, they make for delicious stew.

If you're walking ATV trails consider buying a pair of crampons. I went out once and it was slippery as gently caress wherever people were driving. I'm really not a fan of walking on slippery surfaces with a loaded firearm.

EDIT: if it's below freezing with snow and stuff, that is.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 21, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Barely slept woke up at 430 went to my usual spot hoping the river would be flowing enough to not ice up. Ended up using my kayak as an icebreaker threw out my decoys and whadda ya know it worked a whole pile of ducks came right into them... before I had a chance to get my shotgun out of the case and loaded.

Rest of the day was me freezing my rear end off until I called it quits. Turns out the ducks all went to the main leg of the river that's still open water and didn't bother flying up and down it at all.

So I scouted for decent put in spots found one sat by the river for hours where there were a shitload of birds waiting to see if I could at least do some pass shooting, decided to fire one into the air because it was so calm they weren't moving and they all got up and went the other direction.

So I got chilled to the bone and exhausted and wasted a half a tank of gas to basically sit around by myself shivering. Hunting loving sucks I can't wait to do it again.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just shot so many birds oh my god.

I'll do a trip report later.

But for now here's a video of me chasing off a flock that landed on the other end of the field so theyd stop drawing birds away from our decoy party.

https://streamable.com/e/01jhc4

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
We got screwed out of our morning hunt yesterday. Our buddy and hunting mentor scouted the perfect field; fresh cut corn full of hungry birds. He got landowner permission. Unfortunately the owners son also promised the field to some friends and they weren't willing to compromise.

This really upset our friend, but in the end arguing wasn't going to help. We decided to meet up for the afternoon, try to scout a decent spot for Sunday.

Yesterday morning our buddy went on an AM scout and couldn't find anything. Birds were scarce due to the cold and weather. Only field with anything was occupied already. On our way to our meeting point we stopped at the field we were going to hunt.

So. Many. Birds.

Flocks on the ground and others in the air struggling to land. It looked like a swarm of locusts.

Met up close by, let our buddy know and he said we gotta go check it out. He figured that with the birds taking so long to get out in the morning the guys who tried to hunt it may have just given up. We debated holding off until Sunday morning but it was going to calm down too much.

So we drove out there, set up out blinds, hid the trucks and tucked in.

We had winds gusting to 70, snow, and the only field with food for miles. The birds were desperate so they just kept coming all afternoon. We'd wait and wait and wait while they struggled to line up to land and then pop out.

The evening wasn't 100% perfect. Shooting was difficult due to the crosswinds but with that many birds it was impossible to get skunked. It got cold enough that the action on my semi auto my wife uses started to get a bit fussy and she had a bad primer in a shell so she got robbed a few times. The bad primer was just luck but when I took apart the gun at home it had too much lube and it froze up a touch. Our buddy told us what to use so that doesn't happen again. Still, we each got several birds and had an amazing time watching these birds come back time after time.

We were going to hunt this morning but figured we'd lay off. After getting screwed out of our spot the actual landowner told his son that we have exclusive use of the field for the rest of the year. We decided to not put so much pressure on those birds two days in a row, it might be too much and scare em off.

Next Sunday is gonna be good.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It was so nuts we literally had flocks lining up to land in our spread as we were running out to get birds we'd shot. They couldn't see or hear poo poo due to the wind. My buddy said it was possibly a once in a lifetime kind of afternoon for that kind of hunting.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Decided to finally try hunting by bike. It went OK.

The plan was to use the bike to relocate to different parts of the forest. When I pulled up to a downed tree to stash my bike that bird was just standing there 30' away.

So I got off my bike, laid it down, loaded my gun and shot it.

Something tells me this isn't going to always be this easy, but I'll take it.

I might have to find new grouse hunting areas. I only saw one other bird in the five hours I walked those trails and I ran into someone driving to set up their deer stand who said that the martins and ticks are really hurting the population in that particular forest.

Tonight's dinner: roasted potato and pan fried duck breast with home made duck gravy.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 4, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
It was amazing. My wife is such a good cook. We wish we had more suitable veggies but frozen mix had to do in a pinch.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

Guessing the laws (or at least common sense) around guns and bikes are the same as guns and vehicles in most places?

Because it's human powered some might argue it's legal to ride with it loaded, like how it's legal in a canoe.

As someone who's ridden bikes with both rifles and shotguns strapped to me there's no way in hell I'm riding with one that's loaded, legal or no.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Only a human powered boat. Nothing moving via gas or electric motor, or sails.

If your canoe has a trolling motor but it's completely out of the water and you're paddling you can load up.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
For breakfast today, maple garlic glazed grouse, eggs, and toast.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
A buddy of mine and I are both pretty much giving up on grouse for the season and switching to ice fishing now that the cold is here to stay. Aside from that first day where I got one on my bike we haven't seen anything. A few bird tracks and lots of rabbit but nothing. Lots of ticks this year and the Martin population is high right now so it probably put lots of pressure on small game.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

That pretty impressive, how many people can say they caught a fish while biking?

Uhhhhh.... Me

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm p sure those are all friends in the foreground and we wanted to be within chatting distance but there are some spots where it definitely gets super crowded.

There's a reason why having someone drill a hole 20' next to you is being called Getting Lockported and it's because that happens all the loving time just down river from the dam in Lockport.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just gotta say goose chili is incredible.

Not gonna bother with a pic because it's just a wad of meat and beans :can: in a microwave container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
First day of migratory season and I'm out hunting the most dangerous prey... the cobrachicken.

They say your first shot with a new gun determines of its a good gun for either clays or birds and this new Benelli nova is apparently good for both.

Tomorrow I gotta clean birbs because stupid me I'm going camping opening weekend.