Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Thanks for the excellent OP! I grew up around a lot of hunting but never did much until I started after college with squirrel and deer. I've fallen out of the habit, but I think I'll pick it up again this fall. We have way too many deer here and it drives me crazy that all the bubbas wait around for that big buck when they could have shot three does and helped the population and gotten lots of meat. I have some friends/family that are avid/rabid turkey hunters and I'd like to try that out in the spring maybe. I'd like to try rabbit too, but I've always been worried about tularemia or whatever. How big of a deal is that?

I have to say squirrel hunting is by far my favorite-it's a pleasant walk in some nice hardwoods with an added bit of occasional excitement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Can I ask about trapping itt or is there a better thread for that?

My parents have a problem with some beavers. They're on private land, and from what I can tell my state considers beavers damaging timber to be a nuisance/vermin and there's no regulation protecting them/their dam as long as I'm not trapping them to sell their fur. They're cute and all and the pond is kind of nice at the moment, but my parents' also don't want them hanging around forever and eating every sapling and killing every tree in a 200 yard radius.

So, uh, how do I get rid of these beavers? Some googling/extension service papers say trapping with conibear traps (whatever those are) is going to be better than trying to hunt them. I see a good many of their slides in/out of the pond, but didn't see much fresh activity (gnawed trees) around the edges of the pond, and I also didn't see their lodge. I've done a bit of hunting, but never any trapping. They've built this pond below one man made pond and above another one, so the lodge may be on one of those ponds, but my parents' only own one the upper one.

Bonus beaver pond pics:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Outrail posted:

Beavers are cool and good and create wetland habitat. If it's a good place for them you can kill them or relocate them but more will come eventually. If the concern is just losing the trees you can wrap chicken wire around the bigger ones you want to keep and let them go nuts on the smaller stuff. This actually works.
It wouldn’t really be practical here to try and cover every tree in chicken wire-I’d guess there’s half a mile of shoreline and they’re already eating stuff 20’ away from the pond. I’ve done that before around the house, and it really does work though.

Its a very chill little pond I really like and if this was as big as it would get and this was as all the trees they would eat, we could live together in peace and harmony, but my prior experience with beavers is that they never quit and eat more and more trees. They’ve started gnawing on some 30yr old white oaks that also have great wildlife value and potential future timber value, and, uh, it’s time for them to leave now.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My parents are in AL and there IIRC you can shoot as many unantlered deer as you want on private land with no tag in season. Maybe it's capped at 1 per day? But nobody shoots does because they don't want to fool with anything other than 'muh big trophy buck' and so there are way too many deer.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

This looks amazing and also like way too much work for me. Tromping around a mile or three to shoot a 150lb whitetail is much more my speed, and I promise I am going to get back into hunting this season.

Even if it is only squirrels or nuisance beavers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It seems to depend alot on the deer. Some of them around here let you march up within 50' before they even bother to stop chowing down, but others book it if they hear something moving in the woods 200 yards away. The turkeys are much warier.