Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I have my first lesson booked for this saturday, starting to get pumped (although I dunno if you leave the ground on day 1). Assuming I can get the hang of it there may eventually be another bay-area paragliding goon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

i'm gonna fly over you quacking

Haha that would be something! What does your wing look like, I can come say hi next time.

Also can confirm thread title now.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

I fly an orange Hook 5, black wingtips. I was gonna go practice spot landings yesterday but the weather was right so we went up to Pacifica instead, ended up flying in formation with a couple hawks. How was the 50ft hill?

We ended up mostly on the 40ft hill on the other side due to the wind, but I got airborne for a few seconds a couple of times before the wind got too gusty.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I'm now committed to doing the rest of my lessons to get into the sport! Had my 4th lesson today, it seemed like amazing conditions for the people launching off the 1750' hill but the winds were a little too squirrelly for us beginners on the 300'.

In less positive news I failed 4 launches in a row this morning (and number 5 wasn't spectacular) but at least I did better on the subsequent flights. Landings are coming together though which is a good thing for my knees/butt.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

What do people use for warm-weather gloves? The first pair of sailing gloves I tried from amazon are a bit meh

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

In warm weather I use leather Mechanix gloves, just make sure that when you're rosetting your wing you don't run the lines over the seams - it'll abrade away the stitching and they'll come apart after a while. For cold weather at the coast I bought some windproof cycling gloves that work pretty okay.

Thanks I'll check them out! At first I felt like I didn't need them much but doing some kiting and accidentally catching lines on my foot while rosetting have made them seem more useful.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Things have been moving quickly since I've been able to get a decent number of flying days in, wing*/harness/etc. should be ordered soon and a number of us will probably get our P2 rating soonish. The instructor let me squeeze one last flight in for the day this morning, and on the last flight the air was a little bumpy with a lot of being on and off the brakes and the wing falling back/surging. Apparently I took a small collapse at some point in that flight but I didn't even notice it amongst all the active piloting I was doing which is weird?

*joining the orange hook crew. It's definitely the best colour that wing comes in.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Yeah I kinda gathered from the chat group that something happened on sunday, that sounds pretty intense.

Are you going to get your P3 soon do you think? Are the tests for the spot landing requirements or other aspects of your flying? I'm not sure how long I'll be waiting for my gear once he gets the order in so that might end up being my limiting factor for getting my P2 and flying more independently, but hopefully it's not too long of a wait. Definitely looking forwards to the higher launches at Ed Levin (even if it's just longer sled rides to start with) and trying out Mussel Rock.

I also finally picked up a gopro to start recording some flights, gonna try a knee mount so I can see what my hands and the wing are doing and maybe grab a selfie too.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

I mean depending on where you are geographically, yeah powered paragliding is something that can be more popular. Personally I really like the challenge of trying to find and stay in lift, plus flying without any engine noise or earplugs is awesome.

Plus the chance of rapidly deconstructing a $6k motor if you stumble and fall during landing. It does look interesting though and I might try someday.

quote:

This weekend I was up at Woodrat in Oregon flying, which whipped huge rear end. ~My girlfriend~ flew far enough to land at a local winery so when I went to pick her up we just grabbed lunch there and watched people land, it was rad.

play "spot the pilot"

That looks awesome! When did you move to the pod harness?

In the space of a few days I got my P2 rating, got to fly from a launch 1750 feet above landing, and then joined some other recent students and flew for the first time without my instructor on the radio. Last week was quite a week.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Had my first long flight last week, was doing some coastal soaring for over an hour which was sweet.

In other news I am probably switching harnesses again to find one that fits. I think the non-adjustable seatboard angle in the niviuk konvers is the main issue, I couldn't get into the large without pushing hard off the risers and shimmying, and while I can get into the XL, it's kind of comically large on me. Some harnesses are not made for people with short hamstrings!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

It wouldn’t fit with your “no motor” requirement, but if you’re surrounded by farm country, paramotor (powered paragliding) could be a good option. You can still foot launch and fly a paragliding wing, just with the addition of a butt fan!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

I guess you can always shut off the motor and glide once you're at altitude or catch a nice thermal or something...unless the motor adds enough weight that the unpowered glide characteristics are unfavourable?

I haven’t done PPG (yet) but I understand that cutting the engine off and gliding down is pretty common. Usually PPGs avoid thermic air I think but I’ve heard of people doing it. As for noise and vibration, electric paramotors are starting to be a thing, although since a lot of the noise and vibration is coming from the prop it might not be a huge improvement.

Figure out what the most practical way is for you to get into the air and go from there!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I like that the title has chilled a bit.

I hiked the 1750 foot launch at Ed, and though it was tiring it wasn't ruinous or anything so I'll probably do it again sometime. Although I also need to do some more laps of the lower launches because my launches and landings have been a little messy lately. Also here's an altitude (that seems to be offset a few hundred meters) track of hiking up, chilling at the top, and then flying down.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The forum got stickied so a little update - Still flying and enjoying it. I haven't been progressing super fast but I did finally get my intermediate rating after recently passing 20 hours of airtime.