Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yes, yes this is something I would absolutely love to do :stare:

Well... life-goals, anyway. Being 230# probably puts me out of the running, at least safely - or does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mad.radhu posted:

Nope! They make Tandem wings, if they can make a wing that can hold two people, they can definitely make a wing that can hold one larger person.

Well then, guess I'm seeing if anyone offers tandem demos nearby this weekend. :D

How much does the whole kit 'n' kaboodle usually weigh when you're schlepping it on foot to your launch point? I'm looking at my bicycle with its rack and seeing a handy carrier

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mad.radhu posted:

Here is a 13 minute video (cut down from 1 hour 15 minutes of flight time) of what my flight was like yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvz0P85sres

I watched this video and emailed these folks about a 1-day a few minutes later. This is going to get expensive if I like this as much as I think I'm going to :v:

Can you wear anything like ear-plugs to dull the wind roar or do you need them open for safety?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

All set for my first day Saturday morning, in theory. Dunno if there'll be a tandem on day one or even quick take-offs, but I'm excited :D

And a little worried. I've been badly overweight most of my life (just "overweight" now :v:), and my ankles, feet & lower back bore the brunt of that. I weigh considerably less and am fitter now, but hiking uphill half an hour with 40# of gear on my back is still going to be anywhere between "rather unpleasant" and "totally impossible on day 3". We'll see :ohdear:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 30, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

mad.radhu posted:

Don't worry too much, I've seen some big guys flying. just make sure to really listen to your pilot/instructor on when and how to flare for landing (and wear good boots!)

i don't know dick about active footwear :v: I wear these merrell moabs in a different color, when I'm out and about, usually (though frankly I hate wearing socks in the summer); would they be good enough for the hiking and landings? They've always done quite well for walking

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I ended up calling and asking the instructor a few ago [should have done that before lol] and he suggested my Moabs'll be fine for day 1, since a full flight is unlikely the first day. He also suggested (but didn't require) over-ankle boots, so we'll see how I feel after tomorrow

Speaking of accidents, I can't help but ask this one. I've seen a bunch of paraglider video clearly filmed with a camera drone; obviously they're going to keep distant, but were drone and paraglider to meet, would it sever the lines/chute or are they tougher than I imagine?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

instructor said as much today, too. having seen the lines now I'm still not sure whether the lines would tear or tangle in th e face of quadcopter blades, but either way would be bad news bears

anyway, one day of not-flying was enough to realize i'm not ready for this. Kiting went ok but I underestimated the amount of running involved and massively overestimated the endurance of my lungs and lower back - I simply would not have made it up the hill to the launch.

some otherh year, maybe. :smith:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 2, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah, I'll get there - it was just frustrating to realize, is all, and apparently frustration + physical exhaustion does me real dirty :v: I might go back next weekend for a tandem, but in the meantime I've got 'til October-ish to improve the back & stamina situation before I try again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

if I ever need a way to go out, i'll remember this