Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

All the downtime from the pandemic and pandemic-related unemployment has really gotten me back into Stardew Valley. I chose the forest farm which all of the forums assure me is the best because it gives a steady supply of hardwood and you're never really going to use all the space in the standard farm anyway. I am doing a way better job at being social and friends with all the villagers too. I'm still trying to decide on whether to marry Abigail or Penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I just purchased it for the third time but I haven't had a chance to dive in again because of my drat kids

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
i picked up dragon quest builders 2 during the steam sale and i went so hard on it that i gave myself a minor RSI from my lovely logitech controller

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Gulping Again posted:

i picked up dragon quest builders 2 during the steam sale and i went so hard on it that i gave myself a minor RSI from my lovely logitech controller

Oh drat be careful you can use a PS4 controller with DS4 tool if you have one wired up or blueottoh

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
I started Stardew Valley just a couple months ago; goon video game time killer recommendation here in GBS.

I did a play through to about 3+ years, then a restart, now going on year 4.

Abigail and Penny is a toss-up, I plan to hit them both up and then totally wreck my reputation for being a horrible jerk.

Any tips for the skull cave in the desert? One time I got a ton of "tunnel/tubes" drops you many levels lower. Got way the heck down in there. I did it on a good luck day, but have not been able to recreate the same amount of options since.

Also, ancient fruit wine... Best or at least most decent money maker? For time invested... of course.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Internetjack posted:

I started Stardew Valley just a couple months ago; goon video game time killer recommendation here in GBS.

Abigail and Penny is a toss-up, I plan to hit them both up and then totally wreck my reputation for being a horrible jerk.

Any tips for the skull cave in the desert? One time I got a ton of "tunnel/tubes" drops you many levels lower. Got way the heck down in there. I did it on a good luck day, but have not been able to recreate the same amount of options since.

Also, ancient fruit wine... Best or at least most decent money maker? For time invested... of course.

It takes like an entire year to get the ancient fruit to cover the greenhouse but once you do its 70k a week forever. Theres a lot of work to set it up at front though

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It takes like an entire year to get the ancient fruit to cover the greenhouse but once you do its 70k a week forever. Theres a lot of work to set it up at front though

I'm at about 50 ancient fruit plants now. Definitely have not done a min/max. I still have strawberries and hops taking up a half of the greenhouse. I should probably relegate them to 1/4 of the space at most. I'm also starting a starfruit crop, but having to make seeds, replant and regrow makes me feel the profit/time ratio may be low there.

Internetjack fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 18, 2020

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
Also, I put the "pilgrim" style hat on my horse by accident, mis-click, but it looks cool as heck. My horse now has a sweet hat.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I never left, OP. 👨‍🌾👩‍🌾

I've started a new farm with my SO, and it's been a lot of fun. I've been checking out the new 1.4 stuff and I guess 1.5 is around the corner.

Skull cavern tips:
Remember that daily luck swings from around -0.7 to 0.7, but a Lucky Lunch gives you a +3. Make sure you're eating those.
Drink a lot of coffees, you wanna go fast. They added espressos so you can spend less time drinking and more time mining.
Bring a ton of stone for ladders in case you hit a long floor like the new dino floors where you have to kill everything.
Trash fish can be converted to convenient sashimi and the hospital sells excellent recovery items if you have the money for it.

Internetjack posted:

Also, I put the "pilgrim" style hat on my horse by accident, mis-click, but it looks cool as heck. My horse now has a sweet hat.

My horse, my SO, my SO's horse, and I are all wearing the straw hat.

We're on Winter Day 28 Year 2, so we're right about to get evaluated.

I'm hoping to get a prismatic shard soon so I can try to marry another player. Otherwise Penny for life!

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I'm waiting on the new endgame update, but i might dip back in to see my farm. İ was midway through making a little cherry grove for the springtime, and debating between Maru and Elliott for a spouse.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Being better at friends is cool because I actually havent seen that many of the bachelors heart events except for Shane my eternal bro.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

Shadow0 posted:

Skull cavern tips:
Remember that daily luck swings from around -0.7 to 0.7, but a Lucky Lunch gives you a +3. Make sure you're eating those.
Drink a lot of coffees, you wanna go fast. They added espressos so you can spend less time drinking and more time mining.
Bring a ton of stone for ladders in case you hit a long floor like the new dino floors where you have to kill everything.
Trash fish can be converted to convenient sashimi and the hospital sells excellent recovery items if you have the money for it.

This is the poo poo right here. Many thanks. Been reading a few wikis for this level of detail to no avail. I'm always wondering if I should eat luck, mining, speed, combat foods or what. I have started to stockpile stone and I'm at about 1500 now. The sashimi tip is just brilliant.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

i named my farm Big Pigs Balls and then origami king came out. i played for 15 minutes and my little guy got really tired so i went to sleep. steep learning curve but it seems worth it

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop
If anyone wants to do a co-op game let me know, pm me or whatever. I'd love to try it out and see what it offers. I got garbage for internet with massive latency, can't play stuff like WOW anymore. Something like this should be no problem though.

Hit me up and lets make the best and most disturbing farm possible!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Internetjack posted:

Literally hundreds of hours into this game and I did not know you could put a hat on horses. Where is my princess tiara???

Edit: For newer players, Stardew Valley is one of those games with an incredible modding scene. If you want more content, a different aesthetic, or quality of life improvements, hit up Stardew Nexus.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Been going at it hard since March because fake-outside is way better than real-outside and my brain cannot handle very much of hellworld. Also I guess I'm not cool enough to have a Switch and Animal Crossing.

Internetjack posted:

This is the poo poo right here. Many thanks. Been reading a few wikis for this level of detail to no avail. I'm always wondering if I should eat luck, mining, speed, combat foods or what. I have started to stockpile stone and I'm at about 1500 now. The sashimi tip is just brilliant.

In uh, 1.4? They added the desert trader, you can trade 1 jade for 1 set of stairs. Keep all the jade you find and then stick it in crystalariums, way faster than amassing 99 stone per set of stairs. Also hoard your omni geodes, can trade those for desert warp totems which let you get to the desert without taking the bus

oh yeah and bombs, lots of bombs. plus make sure you have the galaxy sword. skull cavern really is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Internetjack posted:

Pale ale is actually the best $/time but you don't get the giant "my entire shed of ancient fruit wine popped today" paydays, but you get sensible chuckle level ones much more often. For the skull mine bring good food, all the bombs, and at least a stack of stone. Blow things up and if you don't see a ladder (good) or a hole (best) blow up more things, if you still don't see a ladder or a hole build a staircase. Pretty much only stop for iridium until you get to level 30-40 or wherever your goal is.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist
You gotta build a shack next to your greenhouse and fill it with kegs. Put your ancient fruit in those kegs and sell it without aging. Age starfruit wine in your cellar for some good turnover

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Abigail definitely smokes the most weed so she wins.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

Top Cop

SO DEMANDING posted:

the desert trader, you can trade 1 jade for 1 set of stairs. Keep all the jade you find and then stick it in crystalariums, way faster than amassing 99 stone per set of stairs.
oh yeah and bombs, lots of bombs. plus make sure you have the galaxy sword. skull cavern really is kind of a pain in the rear end.

K, missed the jade trade. Gonna do that. Stockpiling bombs is a new priority.

Galaxy Sword?!?! I'm at lava katana. No need to spoiler me, but I must say I'm impressed with how much the game continues to offer once you think you have started to tap it out. The movie theater was a cool reveal.

I had high hopes to get the wand to teleport back home for $2mil, and a year or two later I'm still saving up. And then you learn of the wizard offerings...

Pam and Penny have a nice new house though. That seemed like the right thing to do.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Spalec posted:

You've convinced me. Sorry Penny.

Inverted Icon
Apr 8, 2020

by Athanatos
Brb fishing

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
gently caress it I feel broke brained enough to try an internet farmer game.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Game tedious

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Stardew good
Abigail good

I have it on the Switch so I can play it in the bathtub.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I loved my first 2 playthroughs but I think I'm good. It's a classic though and Eric puts entire dev teams to shame by himself. He even did the music, which I think is one of the greatest soundtracks in games. It's so evocative and never fails to place you in the moment, even when you're not even playing the game. He didn't even really make music until this game.

Bought sheet music and muddled through it because I don't even know how to read sheet music very well. The songs are so good it's worth it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

skooma512 posted:

I loved my first 2 playthroughs but I think I'm good. It's a classic though and Eric puts entire dev teams to shame by himself. He even did the music, which I think is one of the greatest soundtracks in games. It's so evocative and never fails to place you in the moment, even when you're not even playing the game. He didn't even really make music until this game.

Bought sheet music and muddled through it because I don't even know how to read sheet music very well. The songs are so good it's worth it.

Whoa explains why it's so generic and makes me turn it off

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
the music is really good and the gameplay is derivative but still fun but oh man the character art is so freaking bad.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Spalec posted:

Wrong. You forgot about Leah.

edit: Also known as poor man's robin

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

i've considered buying that game for a long time because it looks exactly like what I wanted as a kid playing HM 64 and the SNES harvest moon, but I also might get completely sucked in and become an insane perfectionist and it will take like 100 hours to get everything perfect

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
The cat having a hitbox and making the hallway to the bed only one person-wide was the greatest trick the devil ever pulled. 😼

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Shadow0 posted:

The cat having a hitbox and making the hallway to the bed only one person-wide was the greatest trick the devil ever pulled. 😼

I’ve had the game for 24 hours now and even I already know that you can just keep running into it and you’ll pass through it

Did you really get trapped for days because you didn’t try that? lol

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Statistically I should get an ancient seed for every 200 grubs I kill and I feel like I've killed 500 at this point

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
0.995 ^ 500 is 0.08 so this happens 8% of the time

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

0.995 ^ 500 is 0.08 so this happens 8% of the time

Since youre a math guy. How many more grubs must I kill before I get ancient fruit for the movie theater.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
distribution of estimated dealios is distributed binomial distribution, which ends up being a gaussian at the limit. you're getting screwed because of bias on coin tosses

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

No, but I got all the cheevos in Control despite it running like complete rear end.

Control is pretty dope. You get to throw stuff at the bad people.

Did Stardew Valley have a multiplayer update or am I smoking the crack?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i just beat metro 2033 last night but ive been fully employed

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Fartington Butts posted:

No, but I got all the cheevos in Control despite it running like complete rear end.

Control is pretty dope. You get to throw stuff at the bad people.

Did Stardew Valley have a multiplayer update or am I smoking the crack?

Yeah you can play multiplayer now and even marry the other player. Ive never tried it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

I’ve had the game for 24 hours now and even I already know that you can just keep running into it and you’ll pass through it

Did you really get trapped for days because you didn’t try that? lol

When you get the upgraded house and are running to bed at 1:50 every night, you'll understand.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yeah you can play multiplayer now and even marry the other player. Ive never tried it though

I've never tried it either, but I'm about to. I'm trying to surprise my partner with a ring in game, but I need to get a prismatic shard to do it.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 22, 2020