Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Skypie posted:

Game really should let you cuck Demetrius

Fixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Dear Watson posted:

I just bought this recently. Is there a way to play this game wrong?

I’d like some descriptions of the wrong ways that this game can be played. Thank you and god bless.

Marry Penny. Befriend Pierre. That's all I got.

So I've got one save that's in year 4 and just for funsies I'm going to try and cover my whole farm in ancient fruit on spring one. I've got about 350 seeds at the moment, and I'm just feeding the ones from the greenhouse straight into the seed maker. Might keep one iridium sprinkler off to the side for cooking/gift farming, but other than that I'm not going to have to replant poo poo all year. Its gonna be great.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Can you pillage and burn other farms for infamy and spoils?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Has anyone done the Joja Warehouse route? The game pushes you to do community center fairly hard but also that involves you being concerned with Pierre's plight and Pierre sucks really hard?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Has anyone done the Joja Warehouse route? The game pushes you to do community center fairly hard but also that involves you being concerned with Pierre's plight and Pierre sucks really hard?
Honestly a lot of the npc that you help as part of living in the town totally suck. I dunno if that was the devs intention, but Pierre is basically typical middle management everyone hates, the blacksmith is an incel, the bus driver is an abusive alcoholic.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
that was basically one of the things that the dev was pissed off at harvest moon about, everyone was too drat anodyne

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the ex-soldier has genuine ptsd after being interned in a POW camp

i will reiterate my stance that stardew valley is set in the frontier post-post-apocalypse, c.f. the big clearly-engineered berries everywhere that heal you, the fact that "spirits" are needed to fix a loving decrepit bus, the fact that no-one has guns and uses swords instead to deal with omnipresent mutated monsters, and the relics you dig up of a highly advanced technological society of a bygone age

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

NPC locations and chest/machine automation mods are nice quality of life improvements without really changing the vanilla experience.

Has anyone tried Stardew Valley Expanded?

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Is stardew valley a relaxed game to play, with no actual time pressures? It doesn't seem clear to me from reading this thread and other places.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it doesn't actually make any demands of you other than the demands you put on yourself. you can sleep the entire two years away and tend a small patch of parsnips or wild forage, or you can create a horrifying monoculture empire that brings in more money than god. or you can buy ducks because you like the noise they make when you pet them.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Doug Sisk posted:

Is stardew valley a relaxed game to play, with no actual time pressures? It doesn't seem clear to me from reading this thread and other places.

The only real "time pressure" you face is having to get to bed before like 2am and that you can only grow crops in certain seasons so if you don't plan your days right, you might lose crops when the season changes after Day 28.

Otherwise you can pretty much take everything at whatever pace you want and face no real repercussions

Jintozook81
May 14, 2020

There's Always A Bigger Ship...
Lipstick Apathy
I tried Stardew Valley. It was cool. Spent way too much time in the monster cave.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Doug Sisk posted:

Theres only so many things you can do in one day due to energy and time. How many things gradually increases as you unlock time-saving stuff and things to eat to replenish your energy.

There is time pressure but theres no actual fail-state in the game so it is very relaxed.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks all, I think it was the mentions of 2 years and evaluations that confused me. I think I'll give the game a go!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Doug Sisk posted:

Thanks all, I think it was the mentions of 2 years and evaluations that confused me. I think I'll give the game a go!

Your farm gets evaluated at the beginning of the third year, but it has no bearing on anything really.

Bit of advice: get a better fishing rod ASAP

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I started a new game recently but I haven't really been optimizing and I did a standard farm (didn't know forest was so good). Is it worth restarting or should I just ride this out? Just did the egg festival so I'm really not attached to anything.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you doing a speedrun? world record is 2 hrs 40 minutes and change

if not, who gives a gently caress lol

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Propaganda Machine posted:

I started a new game recently but I haven't really been optimizing and I did a standard farm (didn't know forest was so good). Is it worth restarting or should I just ride this out? Just did the egg festival so I'm really not attached to anything.

You can restart as much as you want but the standard farm is actually considered the longterm best so unless you're just unsatisfied with the aesthetics there's no need to swap. I personally like the river farm and it's often considered one of the worst due to awkward space and I'm still rolling in infinity cash by the end of year 1 so there's no real gimping yourself.

The thing the forest farm is particularly good for (hardwood) is a p simple solution, just focus on upgrading an axe as your first thing and hit the secret forest as part of a daily/weekly routine, it's not really that out of the way and you'll get all the hardwood you need if you do it consistently. Unless you're really rushing a cellar you can even just swing by on the two days the cart shows up.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Just upgrade your tools asap, so you can get to the Secret Forest by the wizard's tower.

That, and working on the community center seem to be pretty key for advancing access to more of the game.

Also, I did a run on the Skull Cave with bombs and staircases the other day. I got all ready with gear, had a desert totem, and then went on a bad luck day by mistake. It loving sucked, got only to level 14 in a full day. I've already been past level 25, or whatever the first challenge was, with a later start and worse gear. I went through half a dozen bombs and maybe 6 staircases and only got to 14. Next run will be on massively lucky day with lucky food too.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
stardude valley

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

From a minmax perspective standards best because size rules all in terms of cash but loving lol if youre minmaxing Stardew valley.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
luck food is +3 luck, good or bad luck day is +-0.7 luck

if you're at the point where you're doing skull cavern, you can nearly always do lucky food

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Do any food bonuses stack? I've tried a couple combos and the next food bonus has always overwritten the first.

prophet45
Aug 26, 2008
Thought I was tired of stardew, so I bought animal crossing to scratch my building stuff itch.

Two hours later I had bought stardew for the switch, and was back to getting Leah drunk enough to move in.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Internetjack posted:

Do any food bonuses stack? I've tried a couple combos and the next food bonus has always overwritten the first.

no

but you can have food bonus and drink bonus simultaenously

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Clint is such an incel that hes still not marryable while the depressed antisocial programmer was in the base game, the depressed antisocial alcoholic got a special update to make him marryable, and the shadow monster who lives in the sewers got a special update to become your "roommate"

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

no

but you can have food bonus and drink bonus simultaenously

it's fun to stack coffee and poppers and zoom around

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Clint is such an incel that hes still not marryable while the depressed antisocial programmer was in the base game, the depressed antisocial alcoholic got a special update to make him marryable, and the shadow monster who lives in the sewers got a special update to become your "roommate"

shane taught me how to make pepper poppers (undisputed goat of foods). what the hell has clint done for me other than take too loving long to upgrade my poo poo.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Once again we get into a lack of realism and detail because there is no way Shane would ever give you a recipe that wasn't:

Purchase package of Jalapeno Poppers from JojaMart
Place in microwave
Turn Microwave on for 5 minutes
Serve

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Once again we get into a lack of realism and detail because there is no way Shane would ever give you a recipe that wasn't:

Purchase package of Jalapeno Poppers from JojaMart
Place in microwave
Turn Microwave on for 5 minutes
Serve

in true depressionman form he learned a single recipe and then lost all enthusiasm for cooking when he tried to do anything else.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Muscle Wizard posted:

in true depressionman form he learned a single recipe and then lost all enthusiasm for cooking when he tried to do anything else.

and of course, it's a pub food recipe.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Shane definitely dreams of attending Digipen

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm playing Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town, instead of Stardew, but same genre. It's a remake of the game Stardew is heavily based on.

Been seducing the hot kappa by throwing cucumbers in a lake.

Edit: not a metaphor.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 27, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm playing Story of Seasons Friends of Mineral Town, instead of Stardew, but same genre. It's a remake of the game Stardew is heavily based on.

Been seducing the hot kappa by throwing cucumbers in a lake.

Edit: not a metaphor.

Is its tool system still completely insane?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Is its tool system still completely insane?

Doesn't seem to be. They also let you walk over crops so no more weird g formations. It's really improved in a lot of ways over the GBA original, especially when it comes to quality of life stuff.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I played Stardew Valley for the first time a few months ago and got really into it until I started running out of numbers that could go up, and I realized I was basically working a fictional job. I immediately quit in disgust

I married Penny to see how her character might develop, but no, she really is as boring as you'd imagine. Very sweet though, and I like redheads.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

Doesn't seem to be. They also let you walk over crops so no more weird g formations. It's really improved in a lot of ways over the GBA original, especially when it comes to quality of life stuff.
How does it compare to Stardew?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Vegetable posted:

How does it compare to Stardew?

I'm really enjoying it, the character array is more, anime cast than Stardew's array of YA tropes obviously coming from Japan, the pace is much much faster but there's still no fail state so it's not really stressful, just a different pace. Unlocking and progression wise there's less of an emphasis on collecting and more on farming well compared to Stardew.

Also like Stardew it has a lot of weird secrets, like the aforementioned kappa.

It's a bit simpler than Stardew in a lot of ways, and way more complicated in others, but it is a remake of a twenty some year old game with modern qol upgrades. If you've played a lot of Stardew and want more games in the style I definitely recommend it.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 28, 2020

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

joxxuh posted:

Gave that Abigail girl a ruby and she said something like "this looks delicious, how did you know I was hungry?" which seems like a weird thing to say.

She's the secret love child of the Wizard, so it check out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
I like to call it StarDon't Valley :smug: but for real I hate it.