Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I ended up ordering a 55 sq ft sail and the stabilizers. Should be a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Good luck! Post how it goes, every time I set it up somebody at the beach comes up to ask me about it

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Maiden sail today in about 10 knots of wind. First attempt failed because he neglected to send me a plate for the mast step. It sure took a while to rig; hopefully the next time is easier. I really need to work on my knots. The double oar steering also takes some getting used to.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah it takes a bit of getting used to for sure. I'm always clanging my oars into each other

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

so what port cities are the seagoons planning to pillage after the collapse?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I already live in a port city so if anything I'll be using my nimble craft to sail upriver and strike communities that least expect it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im getting excited for Boat Season

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hi portable boat threat, I wanna spend some time in nature this year and figure the water is a good way to go, what's the cheapest thing I should get that isn't a deathtrap? I'm seeing little inflatable kayaks online for like $25-45, are those just an awful idea? Is there some other piece of must-have equipment besides a life vest for this type of thing, something to patch holes maybe, or is that not done in the field?

I'll be probably looking at water in the PA/NJ/DE/MD area to start, if that matters. Probably lakes rather than rivers, I just wanna chill for now.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated, help me save money but not die please :D

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Link those $25-45 ones. That's like inner tube price.

I used an Intex K2 for years without any problems besides bad steering and getting pushed around by wind a bit. It'll also come with a skeg and a paddle.

The K1 is a one person version and it's under a hundo. I thiiiink it comes with a patch kit, but most of the holes in inflatables ime come from storage.

Aside from a rated vest, get a dry bag too.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 21, 2024

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Link those $25-45 ones. That's like inner tube price.

I used an Intex K2 for years without any problems besides bad steering and getting pushed around by wind a bit. It'll also come with a skeg and a paddle.

The K1 is a one person version and it's under a hundo. I thiiiink it comes with a patch kit, but most of the holes in inflatables ime come from storage.

Aside from a rated vest, get a dry bag too.

This one's $46 https://www.amazon.com/Bestway-Inflatable-Paddle-Storage-Families/dp/B09X26S258/

This is what I remembered as $25 https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Explorer-1-Person-Inflatable-Boat/dp/B00004YTPE but I guess that's because this doesn't come with the pump/paddles, the listing with them is $35.

Dry bag? Makes sense! Seems like they're not too expensive.

E: The K1 would be this, right? https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Challenger-1-Person-Inflatable-Aluminum/dp/B00177J4JS/

Brut fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
The cheaper inflatable kayaks will take more effort to keep moving, catch any wind or currents easier and get blown around, and not track in a straight line as well, but they'll probably get you out there to see if you enjoy it and then you can decide if you want something nicer. Dry bag is a good suggestion.