Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm looking at kayaks, but I got the no-go for a regular kayak because my partner thinks it would be too ugly to keep around the house. I got pointed to inflatables from a few threads. Are they as good as regular kayaks? How long does it take to inflate with a hand pump? How long does it take to put away when you're done?

I was looking at the Oru kayak, but more people were talking about inflatables.

Would an inflatable fit inside a deck box well, to keep out of sight and not be ugly?

I want to upgrade from renting kayaks because I don't like the hours that the kayak rental places run, and I like the idea of being able to just go to the beach and kayak without needing to find a reservation time at a place that might be sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Yeah this would mostly just be me noodling around.

Do tandem inflatables work well solo? I would be kayaking solo like 90% of the time, but every once in a while I might be able to convince my partner to go with me. She would do very little paddling herself, she would mostly just be in the kayak to keep me company and humor me.

What I'll probably end up doing to pick one out is go to REI with her so she can see how small they are deflated, and then hopefully have an REI person help us pick one out.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

the REI near me has this in stock, it looks ok? Maybe I'll try to find time to look at it this week.

https://www.rei.com/product/736945/advanced-elements-advancedframe-inflatable-kayak

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I went to REI and took a look at the one I posted yesterday, it looked pretty good, I'll probably buy it in a week or two when I'm hopefully feeling better.

I'm still recovering from long covid, my partner talked me out of getting it now because I would actually use it this weekend, and I don't want to end up stranded on a lake with long covid complications.

What accessories do I need with it? I assume I'll need to buy a paddle. I'll probably need adapters for my air compressor. I already have a life jacket, but I can also swim pretty well.

Is it still recommended to wear a life jacket if you're kayaking in a lake you also swim in without a life jacket?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I already have a life vest I don't mind wearing, and planned to use in most cases. It's just one of the lakes I was planning to kayak on is a lake I've also just been swimming in.

I don't totally understand why I'd need a life vest when if the boat wasn't underneath me I wouldn't need the life vest, but I'll wear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Planet X posted:

The other thing is that if you're on public water, the game warden or someone could come along and write you a ticket

One time my buddy was in a jon boat riding out to an island on the rappanannock during low tide, and got stopped by the authorities and ticketed for lack of PFDs.

Cop said: What are you going to do if the vessel capsizes?

My buddy: Stand up?

That didnt go over well lol

Huh looks like having a life jacket is legally required on a kayak, but you don't have to be wearing it unless you are under 12, weird.

https://www.parks.wa.gov/451/Life-jackets