Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

There are many choices for packable boats, many companies make "packrafts" that are very lightweight and small. Many of them are even under 10 pounds! For comparison, my 2 person kayak bag weighs a little over 40 pounds with all it's gear and a water bladder.

Oh hell yes, I have a packraft and it's awesome. I live in a dense urban area and don't have a car, so I need something easily transportable on a bike. Mine is an Alpacka classic.

I just started bikerafting, which means you get to the river on a bike, inflate the raft and strap your bike to the bow, float downriver, and then reverse it all to get home. This lets you paddle a lot farther, packrafts aren't great going against wind or current.

Practice the bike loading on dry land first

Raft and paddle are strapped to the cargo rack, everything else fits in a single pannier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

That's real cool. How much weight are you carrying on the back of your bike like that? After a couple accidents I'm a little spooked of carrying weight that high on my own bike, so I trailer my kayak instead :shobon:

My packraft is on the heavier side since it has zips for a spray skirt and for internal drybags. It's about 7 pounds for the raft and 2 pounds for the paddle. There are rafts that are less than half that weight, but they can't carry as much. The hardest part is answering questions about the raft when I'm biking to the river (I usually wear my PFD while biking since it's kinda bulky), then answering questions about the bike when I'm on the water. :eng101:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

This is awesome! I've been on the lookout for hikes where I can park near the river, hike a few miles up stream and put in, then float back to the car.

Yes, that's an excellent way to use a packraft! You can hike farther than that with it too. Last summer we hiked for 2 days on a section of the AT, then floated back to the car on the 3rd day. It's a pretty luxurious way to travel, it totally made up for the extra weight on the hiking days.