Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
You're right that you'd almost certainly be fine without your life jacket on. I canoe and kayak a lot, and im a strong swimmer. I often feel inclined to not wear my vest, but I always remind myself that every one of those folks who drowned from a canoe or kayak while not wearing a vest (which is probably most of them) had this exact thought some time, possibly moments, before it happened:

Chainclaw posted:

I don't totally understand why I'd need a life vest when if the boat wasn't underneath me I wouldn't need the life vest...

"What could possibly happen?" is an active challenge to The Outdoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
My favorite is seeing ads for foldable kayaks featuring some grinning buffoon wearing all the outerwear except a life jacket. Like what's the plan if that thing springs a leak or otherwise capsizes? How easy is swimming going to be in boots & rain gear?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I've never seen a paddlecraft of this sort, hard or soft, with a front and rear skeg like that and yeah if they're not perfectly aligned then it's going to pull you off center. It'll also make it really hard to turn I imagine. I suspect that the boat is supposed to use only one skeg at time (almost always in the rear) and that it has multiple skeg mounts so that you can paddle the boat in either direction and still have a stern skeg. Why would you want to paddle it in either direction? Some two-person inflatable kayaks (and most canoes) have seating arrangements that can be reversed if you're paddling solo for better weight distribution, this looks like it might be one of them.

I am curious what the large central zipper in the bow is for. Can it be opened so something like a trolling motor can be dropped through?