Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I bought a Sea Eagle Paddleski and its pretty great. Inflatable catamaran with a decent sized sail that I could also hook a motor or rig up with a swivel seat for fishing.

Does anyone have opinions on good electric motors? I want something decent, but I'm not ready to shell out for a Torqueedo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I don't have any pics, but I bookmarked this thread as I own a Sea Eagle Paddleski catamaran.

I just ordered the swivel fishing seat with rod holders and look forward to a float trip down the Potomac for smallmouth.

I really like inflatables. You don't have to own a truck to have fun, and they've come a long way in recent years. Being able to take out and put it in the trunk of my accord is great!

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Is that the Sea Eagle sailing kit?

I'm asking because we have the Paddleski 435 with our own sailing kit (which we have not rigged up yet to sail with) and in case I ever need to replace it, I was wondering what you had.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have a Sea Eagle Paddleski 435, and I love it.

Re: inflation time, we have an electric plug in pump that we plug into the back of our 4 runner to inflate it. It doesnt inflate it all the way, so we top it off to 3 PSI with the hand pump.

Pack size - the boat we have is large, but it rolls up into a bag that's managable, although I don't know the size of your deck box. I will say that I keep my boat in a cool basement, as I wouldn't want the heat from being in a closed box on a deck affect the glue or seams. Perhaps that's not an issue.

On putting it away, I take it out of the trunk of my car, unroll it, give it a quick wipedown, let it air dry and roll it back up.

I don't think inflatables perform like a hard kayak, but if you don't need performance and you're just out to noodle around, they are extremely convenient. You don't need trucks to put in and take out, only cars. They are a little more susceptible to wind, but I don't know if that really matters in the long run, it's not like you're going to go out there on an extremely windy day.

Any other questions, let me know. I do love ours a lot. I have a hard swivel seat for it with two rod holders which makes it more comfortable and your butt stays dry.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have no idea, I've never paddled it solo. It'd probably be not impossible, but a handful, considering the size of the boat I have, which is 14 ft. The point of our boat is for us to go paddle together (it was her idea!), so I've not tried it yet. I may this summer at some point, but I might try it out on a lake before I go down a river with it.

I'd probably go with a smaller model if it's just you but want an option for your partner to come along.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Also PFDs can be quite comfy. Of course, you get what you pay for, but you don't have to wear some old red clunky dry rotten rectangle. The ones we have have a big pocket right on the chest that you can put your phone, sunscreen and clip your keys on the inside of the pocket on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
The other thing is that if you're on public water, the game warden or someone could come along and write you a ticket

One time my buddy was in a jon boat riding out to an island on the rappanannock during low tide, and got stopped by the authorities and ticketed for lack of PFDs.

Cop said: What are you going to do if the vessel capsizes?

My buddy: Stand up?

That didnt go over well lol