Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Oh hey, it's an inflatables thread.

We just bought a Sea Eagle 420x this year. We used to have a single hardshell kayak, but it was a pain to transport since we only have one relatively small car, so we'd end up doing rentals for paddling 90% of the time.

I ​got lucky enough to demo a FastTrack and a RazorLite, too. They're both awesome boats, but we settled on the 420x because we really just wanted something stupidly big and stable. First impressions after getting it set up initially were, uh, yeah, it's loving big.

After getting it out on the water a few times, I love the hell out of this thing. We had no trouble standing up and walking around on opposite sides of the boat at the same time to rearrange the seats and grab some things. Never once did it feel like the boat was in any danger of tipping, even sitting together on one of the pontoons. We pretty much did everything we could think of to flip it over and it didn't care.

On the whole, I'm surprised at how well it tracks and performs. Our primary use case is chill paddling on flatwater, and it wasn't getting pushed around nearly as much as I expected in 10ish mph winds. Enough that you notice, but not enough to make it challenging to keep the boat going straight, even with just one person paddling. Tracking is a total non-issue with two paddlers.

I'll probably get this thing out on some rivers solo next spring and I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
You can find stories of people drowning in chest-high water pretty much everywhere in the country, and it's often someone who was in a kayak and always without a PFD.

There are a million ways it can happen and "I'll just stand up" is probably how a lot of people get in trouble. Standing up in shallow water is often a lot more dangerous than going over in something relatively deep, because you have no idea what's on the bottom to trap your feet. Even lakes can be dangerous, especially if there are powered boats around to generate currents. Hell, there was a story last year around here about an 18-year old kid who flipped his SUP in five-foot deep water and drowned while people watched from the shore.

Water is scary and a good PFD makes paddling a much safer activity.