Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

I've also got a sea eagle drop stich tandem with a sail kit:

How do you like the sail kit? I'm thinking of ordering one for a Sea Eagle Fasttrack. There's so many options on their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

It kicks rear end! The sail is not from sea eagle, it's from sailboatstogo.com

What options did you get?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

I think the options have changed a bit since I bought it but I got the kit that the site recommended for my razorlite. It looks very similar to the "any sail kit" but the guy who runs the place is real nice and sent me some free straps when I had some questions for him since the kayak I bought had some new model updates. If you're unsure of what to fit on a particular boat just email him, he will help you better than I can.

https://www.sailboatstogo.com/catalog/product/6004

How do you find the outriggers? Have you run much without them?

Is it possible to reef the sail at all?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

Outriggers are on the website somewhere and reefing my particular sail is not possible. The razorlite is so tippy that running without the outriggers is probably impossible as well. I feel I may have seen an "asian" style kayak sail that was reefable somewhere but i don't recall where

Cool. I suppose the fasttrack might be able to do without the outriggers.

How do you find beating upwind? I imagine you can't really hike out much on an inflatable kayak.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

It's possible, which puts it a step above every other kayak sail I've seen. But it's still sailing upwind :v:

It's fun and works like a sailboat for sure though, every once in a while I catch the wind just right and it's nice

e: it's absolutely too burdensome to hike any real distance with the boat and sail together. i use my other smaller kayak if im gonna hike somewhere

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiking_(sailing) in case there's some confusion

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I ended up ordering a 55 sq ft sail and the stabilizers. Should be a fun time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Maiden sail today in about 10 knots of wind. First attempt failed because he neglected to send me a plate for the mast step. It sure took a while to rig; hopefully the next time is easier. I really need to work on my knots. The double oar steering also takes some getting used to.