Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Not necessarily easily packable, but I’ve had my eye on a larger inflatable boat for a while, and may soon be in a position to finally buy it:

https://saturnrafts.com/11-saturn-x-wide-dinghy-tender.html

It would primarily be for fishing and generally hanging out on freshwater lakes, but I am not far from Monterey Bay these days, so tooling around in inshore salt water is not out of the question. I’m wondering if anyone has had experience with the brand, as they seem to have built themselves up as the affordable alternative to Zodiac and the like.

But I’m also wondering how well I would do if I just had an electric trolling motor as the only motor for a while. It’s doubtful that I’ll be able to save up for a decently sized gas motor until sometime next year, unless I’m very careful about buying a used one. I also don’t anticipate I’ll be living anywhere for a while that I could store a hard-hull boat with the motor mounted - a big reason for going inflatable.

I’m also considering stepping up to a 24-volt motor rather than 12-volt. Seems like I’m going to spend as much or more on batteries as I do on the motor, and if I invested in a nice pair of lithium-ion batteries, I could possibly use them in other contexts as well. Newport Vessels looks competitive with Minn-Kota in this space, and they’ve got an 86lb thrust unit that’s supposed to be about 1hp. Reviews seem to indicate they’ve got good after-sales service, too. There’s also somebody else on Amazon calling themselves Haswing and offering 24v motors up to 5HP, but they don’t seem to have built up any kind of reputation or long-term reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU