Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you finally win this league this year?
This poll is closed.
Yes, but I've already won it before so :smug: 5 33.33%
Yes, this is my year of destiny. 2 13.33%
No, I plan on losing horribly and making terrible choices as usual. 6 40.00%
There will be no NFL this year so this is all pointless. 2 13.33%
Total: 15 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I’ve won 12 Super Bowls in various leagues since 2009, so while I search in vain for a reason why I’ve never won this one, I can’t blame the kids.

Besides Braksgirl would give me hell if I did. 🤣

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I would say that I've only ever played fantasy football with kids around and here I am being the only 20 team champ that has pushed a kid out of their body. Yay me.

Not just A kid. THREE kids. :smug:

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

darkwolf220 posted:

Ok, I have moved, I have set up all my poo poo, I think I am back now. If it pleases the court, I am going to take a bit of a back seat as this season starts up (or doesn't!). SB is doing a fantastic job and I am very grateful. Things are still a bit weird right now, even outside of the added drama of living in Seattle these days. I will do my level best to be more active and reply to any and all inquiries from anyone, just PM me or post here if you don't mind up to a few days delay.

Stay safe, friend.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Braksgirl posted:

I would say that I've only ever played fantasy football with kids around and here I am being the only 20 team champ that has pushed a kid out of their body. Yay me.

Not just A kid. THREE kids. :smug:

Kinda of an unfair advantage that you were carrying around an extra brain on several occasions.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Let me tell you, that "extra brain" did no heavy lifting.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I never won this league because of two things in 2012:

- Starting Chad Henne over Ryan Tannehill after the latter had 0 TDs/6 Ints over the prior 3 weeks
- Michael Crabtree completely disappearing for the last 26 minutes of this game - if he picks up 1.3 points there in a season where he more than doubled up the receptions of anyone else on the team, that's a ring

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Power of Pecota posted:

I never won this league because of two things in 2012:

- Starting Chad Henne over Ryan Tannehill after the latter had 0 TDs/6 Ints over the prior 3 weeks
- Michael Crabtree completely disappearing for the last 26 minutes of this game - if he picks up 1.3 points there in a season where he more than doubled up the receptions of anyone else on the team, that's a ring

That's funny how specific games mean such a different thing to different people. I won one of my very few championships ever due to that same Seahawks/Niners game because of Frank Gore just being shut down completely. I think he had his worst game of the year -- which is exactly what I needed.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

EconDad posted:

That's funny how specific games mean such a different thing to different people. I won one of my very few championships ever due to that same Seahawks/Niners game because of Frank Gore just being shut down completely. I think he had his worst game of the year -- which is exactly what I needed.

You either loved or hated Lamar last year.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

EconDad posted:

One of my favorite regular season one of these was when I was at my Monday night bar trivia, 3rd and 5 from deep in the TItans backfield with a first down effectively ending the game with a minute left, and right before this play I turn to my friend and say something like "I just need Derrick Henry not to run for a touchdown here and I'm set":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhSHKb4P3zI

Ninja Bob
Nov 20, 2002

Bleak Gremlin
Is there still a free slot? If so I'd like to join, if not I guess put me on the waitlist please.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Power of Pecota posted:

One of my favorite regular season one of these was when I was at my Monday night bar trivia, 3rd and 5 from deep in the TItans backfield with a first down effectively ending the game with a minute left, and right before this play I turn to my friend and say something like "I just need Derrick Henry not to run for a touchdown here and I'm set":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhSHKb4P3zI

The worst part here is that Henry didn't even need to do what he did for the Titans to win the game. The ridiculous sorts of heartbreak.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Silly Burrito posted:

You either loved or hated Lamar last year.

You really hated Lamar if you traded him after week 1 for Mike Evans, Marlon Mack, and Calvin Ridley. I had Aaron Rodgers, so I thought I was getting away with a really nice trade. Turns out that I basically ended up handing the championship to the guy who got Lamar. Although -- he already had D.Cook, M.Thomas, A.Jones, and A.Robinson, in a ten-team league.

Those bitter(sweet) memories.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
In this league a while back, I recall I had Antonio Brown (pre-star era) and some other WR in the semifinals. I played the wrong one and lost by the difference in points. I would have blown out the other team in the finals. Oh well.

In one of my "big money" leagues, about 3-4 years ago I lost in the finals to a last minute garbage time pick-6 where my opponent had the defense and was down by 3 or so. Just looked it up actually, was the Eagles vs the Raiders week 16 of 2017. 22 seconds left fumble + TD to end the game. They could have took a knee and still won :mad:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ninja Bob posted:

Is there still a free slot? If so I'd like to join, if not I guess put me on the waitlist please.

Yes! You’re in. I’m away from a PC but PM me your email and I’ll set you up tomorrow. What’s your team name going to be (at least for now)?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito and I made a bet this evening. It is with a heavy heart that I announce that I have lost said bet and therefore I am wrong. This is truly a tragic day. Please send all your thoughts and prayers for me during this difficult time. Thank you. 💔

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Silly Burrito and I made a bet this evening. It is with a heavy heart that I announce that I have lost said bet and therefore I am wrong. This is truly a tragic day. Please send all your thoughts and prayers for me during this difficult time. Thank you. 💔

Let this be a proclamation unto all the lands that Braksgirl is an honorable and upstanding citizen who by admitting that she was completely, irrevocably, and wholly wrong she has paid said bet in full.

Let it be so on this final day of July in this our year of the Lord 2020.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

EconDad posted:

The worst part here is that Henry didn't even need to do what he did for the Titans to win the game. The ridiculous sorts of heartbreak.

The sound was off at the time but I legitimately said it right before the play happened and could only follow it up with a "...that was Derrick Henry, wasn't it"

Also at that Monday night bar trivia - I had a bet on the Rockets in the Rockets/Warriors game where this happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jox6ggZpxnI

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
We have most of us back for another year, but we're still missing four players from last year (commish, Dubious, tadashi, Yuzenn). I've sent PMs since the deadline is a little more than a week away. Yuzenn has already said that we can give up his spot, so if you know someone else who wants to join, we have at least one free spot now.

commish
Sep 17, 2009

You jerks are in trouble this year. Thanks to covid, I’m home 24/7, so there’s no missing the draft!!!!!

I’m drafting 20 QBs.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
hello im in

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

commish posted:

You jerks are in trouble this year. Thanks to covid, I’m home 24/7, so there’s no missing the draft!!!!!

I’m drafting 20 QBs.

Dubious posted:

hello im in

Awesome, glad to have you both back.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Is the draft order right now what it will be, or will it be randomized once everyone has joined? If this is what it is I better start doing some ‘fun’ mock drafts at spot 16.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

EconDad posted:

Is the draft order right now what it will be, or will it be randomized once everyone has joined? If this is what it is I better start doing some ‘fun’ mock drafts at spot 16.

No, we'll randomize it once we get 20 players. The last time I did this for another league, I just entered all the teams into Random.org and refreshed five times. Darkwolf may have another idea though. Technically, you can trade draft picks and such but to my knowledge this has never happened.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Nice. Sounds good. I’ll sit and activate “wish mode” to improve upon 16.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

EconDad posted:

Nice. Sounds good. I’ll sit and activate “wish mode” to improve upon 16.

The best advice I can give from my decade+ in this league is easily this: make sure to draft 1 QB by round 3 at the very latest. 2 by round 6 at the latest. I have seen many good looking lineups starting a shitbag for a starter because last round 15 QBs were taken before you got a chance to draft, but hey, at least you got the best TE in the league...

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Last year I managed to draft a team that was pretty much all players I actually wanted with little filler.

I can think of no greater indictment against myself.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

darkwolf220 posted:

The best advice I can give from my decade+ in this league is easily this: make sure to draft 1 QB by round 3 at the very latest. 2 by round 6 at the latest. I have seen many good looking lineups starting a shitbag for a starter because last round 15 QBs were taken before you got a chance to draft, but hey, at least you got the best TE in the league...

Yeah, looks like 35 quarterbacks were drafted last season. That's more QBs than there are teams.

Nothing like using a waiver spot to start like... a, let's see from last year... Brandon Allen? Ryan Finley? Will Grier?

EconDad fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 10, 2020

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

darkwolf220 posted:

I don't know if you need to be that aggressive with QBs now, it feels like they have kind of slowed down coming off the draft board in recent years. Just checking last years and 2018s draft recap, there were still playing QBs being chosen in rounds 10-12. Checking 2012 at random and all of the starting QBs were gone by the end of the 7th. Maybe it is just an artifact of the years I chose, but I don't care enough to look at all of them.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

To be fair you can win a championship with Christian Ponder in this league, you just need to be playing me to do it

commish
Sep 17, 2009

darkwolf220 posted:

It’s good advice. I’ve had years where I did not have a QB to start for several weeks. You can win with a middling RB. You can’t win with no QB.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Today's the last day for returns, and I'm not honestly sure if tadashi dropped out and pmchem came in or not. Either way if no response, we'll have 18 spots filled and 2 open, so if you know another goon that would be interested in joining the league, have them post in here. The draft is two weeks away!

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Only need to find 2? Not great, not terrible. I was assuming we were short 6 or so (without really checking the first post).

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pain of Mind posted:

Only need to find 2? Not great, not terrible. I was assuming we were short 6 or so (without really checking the first post).

Yeah, just two. I’ll wait until tomorrow to repost in the general FF thread but there is one actively open spot now and one spot for tadashi/pmchem that expires tonight.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

commish posted:

It’s good advice. I’ve had years where I did not have a QB to start for several weeks. You can win with a middling RB. You can’t win with no QB.

In my experience if either is mediocre, you're hosed. I've thought WRs are a market inefficiency here a few times and prioritized them and every time I tried that my team sucked rear end

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm in if you make it an auction

because that would be incredible and amazeballs, a 20-team auction

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Nightmare fuel.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pmchem posted:

I'm in if you make it an auction

because that would be incredible and amazeballs, a 20-team auction

You can check the previous threads for opinions on this as it's been brought up before but it's probably never going to happen....as much as I like auction that would just be a crazy situation and a long draft. You're more than welcome to join though otherwise if you'd like!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

You can check the previous threads for opinions on this as it's been brought up before but it's probably never going to happen....as much as I like auction that would just be a crazy situation and a long draft. You're more than welcome to join though otherwise if you'd like!

unfortunately I can't make the draft date and that seems to be 90% of the fun for the league since the waiver wire is certainly barren :/

I could do the prior night, or most September dates. The night of Aug 30 is just bad.

edit: you see, in an auction, I could just get 2 guys super early and bail for 2 hours :)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

pmchem posted:

unfortunately I can't make the draft date and that seems to be 90% of the fun for the league since the waiver wire is certainly barren :/

I could do the prior night, or most September dates. The night of Aug 30 is just bad.

edit: you see, in an auction, I could just get 2 guys super early and bail for 2 hours :)

Fair enough, although just to be sure, you can draft from the app on a phone and/or set your player preferences. I did this last year on a San Francisco bus trying to get back to my hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Had an idea last night and wanted to run it by you all. Hopefully this is not needed and we pick up two more teams before the 30th. In the event that we don't, I had two thoughts on what we should do. I'm sure we don't want to turn this into an 18 team league, so.....

1. Open it up to non-goons in the last week. It would be nice if we could get them to register for SA, but I understand how people feel about giving money to Lowtax until the sale of the site is complete. We do have the chat on the home page and the emergency Discord, but honestly, this thread is the main form of communication for this league.

2. Have two "ghost teams" that could potentially be taken over by goons at any time. However, the ghost teams would just be set to autodraft. We could give them a legitimate starting lineup at the beginning of the year, but the ghost teams would probably not change their starting lineup for the year (we could decide if we wanted to swap out bye players or not if they have someone eligible on their team), and they would not make waiver claims. Of course if someone took them over, then that team reverts back to all normal rules, but this would mean that it would at least have a somewhat legit shot at having a competitive team so that anyone who played them wouldn't get an automatic win.

Again, I hope we don't need either of these options, but might as well plan for any contingencies. How does that sound to you all? If you have any other suggestions please feel free to mention them.