Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will you finally win this league this year?
This poll is closed.
Yes, but I've already won it before so :smug: 5 33.33%
Yes, this is my year of destiny. 2 13.33%
No, I plan on losing horribly and making terrible choices as usual. 6 40.00%
There will be no NFL this year so this is all pointless. 2 13.33%
Total: 15 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Silly Burrito posted:

Had an idea last night and wanted to run it by you all. Hopefully this is not needed and we pick up two more teams before the 30th. In the event that we don't, I had two thoughts on what we should do. I'm sure we don't want to turn this into an 18 team league, so.....

1. Open it up to non-goons in the last week. It would be nice if we could get them to register for SA, but I understand how people feel about giving money to Lowtax until the sale of the site is complete. We do have the chat on the home page and the emergency Discord, but honestly, this thread is the main form of communication for this league.

2. Have two "ghost teams" that could potentially be taken over by goons at any time. However, the ghost teams would just be set to autodraft. We could give them a legitimate starting lineup at the beginning of the year, but the ghost teams would probably not change their starting lineup for the year (we could decide if we wanted to swap out bye players or not if they have someone eligible on their team), and they would not make waiver claims. Of course if someone took them over, then that team reverts back to all normal rules, but this would mean that it would at least have a somewhat legit shot at having a competitive team so that anyone who played them wouldn't get an automatic win.

Again, I hope we don't need either of these options, but might as well plan for any contingencies. How does that sound to you all? If you have any other suggestions please feel free to mention them.

I just plugged it in a SA-based discord, but I feel like it'd make way more sense to do 1 than 2 - if we don't get any takers, I might float it to an IRL friend and buy them an account here after the sale's officially done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Not a fan of ghost teams. Going from previous years the autodraft does not know how to draft for 20 teams and it is almost guaranteed they do not have a QB, plus it will be an advantage for whatever divisions have them. We still have some time, I think we hold out for a few more days for goons, then I am ok with non-goons (ideally someone known rather than a rando from reddit, but I guess that can be a last resort).

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 18, 2020

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
I've tried to get a couple of goons I know to join -- but it's harder than I would have guessed to get people on board.

I'd vote 1 -- but ... "break glass in case of emergency" -- solution 2 seems fine too.

----

Although in solution 2 it does seem quite likely that this person would be starting Justin Hebert, Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, or some other non-week 1 starter... in week 1.

EconDad fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 18, 2020

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I mean, I could easily invite my dad and I know he would join and he is knowledgeable about fantasy football and stuff, but I really don't want to expose my dad to goons or my goonie alter-ego. I figure someone must have a brother or sister or partner or friend who is more online.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 18, 2020

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

1 is the only choice imo.

2 is a total no-go for me. From the CPU screwing up the draft to the other teams fighting on what the starters should be starting any given week. Had a league where we did it one season. Even when you make rules for who should start there will be disagreements.

Pain of Mind posted:

I mean, I could easily invite my dad and I know he would join and he is knowledgeable about fantasy football and stuff, but I really don't want to expose my dad to goons or my goonie alter-ego. I figure someone must have a brother or friend who is more online.

For something like that I am totally fine people not joining SA. The actual ESPN site is pretty goon culture-free and I see no reason why they need to join here. ESPN has email notifications for messages and that sort. I know I've been in other goon leagues with non-goons and never had a problem with them not being on this site.

Edit: By no-go I mean that I'm very against it but not going to quit the league over it or something.

jabro fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 18, 2020

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

It's a no from me on ghost teams.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Cool. Again, I hope we don’t have to do either but at least we have a path forward. I’d say let’s wait until this Sunday, and if not, I’m sure we can find a couple of non-goons that we know (someone like Pecota’s friend) to fill out the ranks.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm also not a huge fan of the ghost teams idea. If nobody is setting lineups for those then they're just going to be punching bags once bye weeks start.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

jabro posted:

1 is the only choice imo.

2 is a total no-go for me. From the CPU screwing up the draft to the other teams fighting on what the starters should be starting any given week. Had a league where we did it one season. Even when you make rules for who should start there will be disagreements.

For something like that I am totally fine people not joining SA. The actual ESPN site is pretty goon culture-free and I see no reason why they need to join here. ESPN has email notifications for messages and that sort. I know I've been in other goon leagues with non-goons and never had a problem with them not being on this site.

Edit: By no-go I mean that I'm very against it but not going to quit the league over it or something.

If we cannot find anyone I can ask him, just mainly:

quote:

I really don't want to expose my dad to goons.
He is very not-online. I realize most people here are not poo poo posters and it probably will not be an issue, just being paranoid. He has been doing fantasy for 30 years and has accounts across all platforms, so it is not like that will be an issue.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Pain of Mind posted:

If we cannot find anyone I can ask him, just mainly:

He is very not-online. I realize most people here are not poo poo posters and it probably will not be an issue, just being paranoid. He has been doing fantasy for 30 years and has accounts across all platforms, so it is not like that will be an issue.

Well we already have husband and wife in this league, might as well have father and son.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Also two of us are brothers (Eltoasto and myself)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ShakeZula posted:

Also two of us are brothers (Eltoasto and myself)

I did not know that! Cool!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Silly Burrito posted:

I did not know that! Cool!

It's part of why I was so excited to join the league last year after hearing about it for years. It's also the reason he's always the first one listed as an alternate when I do the Goon Draft - he's BOUND BY BLOOD and cannot refuse.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Cool. Again, I hope we don’t have to do either but at least we have a path forward. I’d say let’s wait until this Sunday, and if not, I’m sure we can find a couple of non-goons that we know (someone like Pecota’s friend) to fill out the ranks.

I'll totally forget about it otherwise, but shoot me a PM or something if I should reach out to him

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

ShakeZula posted:

It's part of why I was so excited to join the league last year after hearing about it for years. It's also the reason he's always the first one listed as an alternate when I do the Goon Draft - he's BOUND BY BLOOD and cannot refuse.

Once you hear the stories of desperately trying to find a backup QB who might be a starting QB by week 10, you can't resist.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

I'll totally forget about it otherwise, but shoot me a PM or something if I should reach out to him

I decided to just text in case he potentially wasn't interested, and he's definitely in if we're opening things up.

Like, I'd buy him an account if not for the sale still being pending.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Power of Pecota posted:

I decided to just text in case he potentially wasn't interested, and he's definitely in if we're opening things up.

Like, I'd buy him an account if not for the sale still being pending.

Honestly, if you vouch for him, he wants to play, and he’ll be getting an account eventually, he’s basically a goon-to-be. Please PM me his email, and I’ll set up his account.

That way we will only have one undecided team, and we can start setting up the draft and schedule so that those of you who want to mock draft and/or discuss pick trades can do so if inclined.

Edit: Pecota sent me the info, so the invitation has been sent. He'll join you in the Romo division, Pecota. :)

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 20, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Ok, Pecota's friend has joined the league as Folesome Prison Blues, so I figured....let's get on with the show and figure out the draft order. Braksgirl was watching me, and as I said before, I'd use Random.org and randomize five times. Here are the draft results:

So yeah, I drafted first last year, now I draft 20th. The universe likes a good joke. :)

And this should be a huge incentive to whoever takes the last team. You'll get the #1 draft pick.

I'll probably get the schedules up and running in the next couple of days and post those when they're ready. They shouldn't be too different from last year but I'm hoping we will all have different OOC games if the tool works correctly. As always, the picks are theoretically tradable if you want to do so. The draft order and schedules will be updated in ESPN soon.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Aww hell yeah all the way up from 17 (I think) last year!

Actually I didnt mind it that much. I greatly prefer drafting at the ends of a round, whether that closer to the start or the finish.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Aww hell yeah all the way up from 17 (I think) last year!

Actually I didnt mind it that much. I greatly prefer drafting at the ends of a round, whether that closer to the start or the finish.

Somewhat counter-intuitively, but for this league I feel like draft spot matters the least. In 12 or so team leagues it feels like there is a spot where there is a major tier drop off and pick 7 is worth significantly more than pick 8, while there is no difference for the second round pick (random example), but since there are so many people here the value of an early second rounder makes up for the decreased value in first rounder.

I value an early 3rd rounder more than the early first rounder for an early spot, the middle is nice since you are less at the mercy at a position run and can plan better for players that might fall to you, and the end is nice for an early second rounder that typically has first round value.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 20, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
And here's the schedule:

For future reference to either myself or whoever makes the schedule in 2021, I kept the teams in the same order, but the Dan Marino division teams shifted down one while the Joe Namath division teams shifted up one. The Joe Montana division teams shifted down one while the Tony Romo division teams shifted up one. Doing that should give all new OOC games and alter the main schedule as well.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

Somewhat counter-intuitively, but for this league I feel like draft spot matters the least. In 12 or so team leagues it feels like there is a spot where there is a major tier drop off and pick 7 is worth significantly more than pick 8, while there is no difference for the second round pick (random example), but since there are so many people here the value of an early second rounder makes up for the decreased value in first rounder.

I value an early 3rd rounder more than the early first rounder for an early spot, the middle is nice since you are less at the mercy at a position run and can plan better for players that might fall to you, and the end is nice for an early second rounder that typically has first round value.

I think there's at least the suggestion of more control when you have two picks right close to each other. I like having a selection and being able to think out who else might be around when I'm up next although it's probably purely a mental thing and I'm not going to go so far as to say it confers an actual advantage.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The schedule has been uploaded, so all we need is the 20th team, and we're good to go for the draft and the season.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
I have too many options at #5. Anyone want to trade up a few spots, I hate thinking.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Pain of Mind posted:

I have too many options at #5. Anyone want to trade up a few spots, I hate thinking.

Not sure what "a few" is in your mind... or, how spots are even traded. But, I'm 15 if you really want to roll way down the list.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Ok, it's Sunday and we still need a 20th team. Before we ask Pain of Mind to invite family, do any of you have any non-goon friends who you think would want to play?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Ok, it's Sunday and we still need a 20th team. Before we ask Pain of Mind to invite family, do any of you have any non-goon friends who you think would want to play?

I don't think this is an option even if we cannot find a 20th, talking yesterday he mentioned he had a Zoom draft that starts an hour before ours, I don't think it will be done within an hour but I can check if he wants to double draft.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ok, fine, I'll do it

gimme the #1 draft slot.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

pmchem posted:

ok, fine, I'll do it

gimme the #1 draft slot.

fuuuuuck I was just coming here to say this

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

ketchup vs catsup posted:

if you want in, you can have it. I just didn't want the league to die.

if they ask for an emergency fill pre-draft next week though, I still have dibs on the #1 draft slot and you'll have to give it to me!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Well drat, THAT worked.

pmchem posted:

if you want in, you can have it. I just didn't want the league to die.

if they ask for an emergency fill pre-draft next week though, I still have dibs on the #1 draft slot and you'll have to give it to me!

Ketchup vs. Catsup, since pmchem is conceding the spot, you're in! I'll send the details via PM.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

let's loving go

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
We have a full league, boys and girls. :dance:

Let's have some fun!

Don't forget, the draft is Sun, Aug 30, 2020, 8PM EASTERN TIME.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Anyone want to join our league? <crickets>
You will have the #1 draft spot. ME MEME ME ME ME

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

You will have Christian McCaffrey. ME MEME ME ME ME

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Pain of Mind posted:

You will have the #1 draft spot. ME MEME ME ME ME

feels like just the right incentive to try a 20 teamer

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

EconDad posted:

Not sure what "a few" is in your mind... or, how spots are even traded. But, I'm 15 if you really want to roll way down the list.

A bit further back than ideal :shrug: .I swapped our 1st rounds and then 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th round picks in a trade calculator and it says I am getting ripped off, though I feel like it is undervaluing the later picks significantly due to 20 teams compared to 10 or 12.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 23, 2020

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

feels like just the right incentive to try a 20 teamer

I'll be interested to see who you pick. Last year I got Saquon in that spot, and...it was less than ideal.

I still blame Aaron Rodgers though.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Pain of Mind posted:

A bit further back than ideal :shrug: .I swapped our 1st rounds and then 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th round picks in a trade calculator and it says I am getting ripped off, though I feel like it is undervaluing the later picks significantly due to 20 teams compared to 10 or 12.

Yeah, it probably won't work out. That's okay. You've got a lot of options at pick 5, that's for sure. Most should probably pan out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Silly Burrito posted:

I'll be interested to see who you pick. Last year I got Saquon in that spot, and...it was less than ideal.

I still blame Aaron Rodgers though.

I had Aaron Rodgers in one of my two leagues last year... (up to four this year including this one? We'll see how that feels). Anyway... having Rodgers last year was an absolute nightmare. Aaron Jones seemed to skate in from 15-20 yards out consistently. I also benched Rodgers for his explosion game against the Raiders (50ish points in our league). I started Goff instead and he did fine and I still won... but it's the principle of the matter, man. Rodgers is supposed to be... y'know, good.