Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
That's awesome. Enjoy & report back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Very nice! I need to do the same this summer!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks! One thing I am curious about that I have not been able to find a straight answer for, is how common is it to be able to rent/charter a basic little sailboat? Googling it yields a lot of fancy-rear end luxury yacht rentals. I'm going to learn on a J-24 keelboat that I understand is considered pretty basic - can I go to any old marina in sailable waters and rent a similarly small, simple sailboat for the day? Or are rent-able sailboats few and far between?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

From what I can tell, you typically have to join a local boat club for that. I think there's not a ton of money in paying the slip fees to bareboat charter a dinky thing when you could charge 10x to charter out a much nicer boat.

That said, I found a company in Panama City, FL (where my wife's family is from) that will bareboat charter a Catalina 25 to people with ASA 103, so I might try to do that later this year if we go down there.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That matches my experience on little lakes in the midwest. If you want to rent a pontoon boat, that's easy. You can choose from the basic model, or 2 story with a slide. However if you want a sail boat, you gotta join the club. You may have to launch it off the trailer yourself, so hopefully you can get the old tractor to start

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
J24s kick rear end.

Agreed you might find it difficult to rent one as you've presented it. Especially for a keelboat with a racing fleet like the J. Dinghys--Lasers, 420s, MC's (depending on where you're at) etc will be what you can pick up with a checkout sail with a local club.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Okay, so you can't necessarily go rent a lil sailboat in every far off place you go to, but if there's a place you go to a lot you can join the club, is kind of the how it goes?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think the rate of return on renting a small sailboat is pretty tiny

Most of those luxo barges are owned by a 1%er looking to adjust their tax liability and maybe break even, or for other tax purposes

Treasure Island Sailing Club and Cal Sailing Club both have boats in the 20-30' range if you're in the bay area. TISC has at least 4 J/24

That said, if you're going to rent out a boat for the day in an exotic locale, wouldn't you rather pay a little extra for a flush toilet, and a cold fridge for your beer? Charter rates aren't crazy, like $325/day if you book for a week, about the same as a nice hotel

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I agree, check with sailing clubs or other sailing schools, most of the schools in SF Bay will charter their boats to graduates. And yacht clubs are another option, although most of them only have fleets of small dinghies, the ones here with keelboats are $texas to join. The only ones I can think of are St Francis with some J22s and Corinthian has some Cal 20s and they are both pricey. You could also look at getting into a partnership to defray costs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Boat repair chat

1) those latches where you have to put your finger in the hole and blindly trigger the latch, are a great way to break your finger when you go over an unexpected wave
2) those same latches, if they're mismatched, like on bilge boards, might not trigger unless you have enough rigid wire on board to remotely trigger it. 20 minutes of cannibalizing the wire hooks on my Bungie cords, I can finally service my bilge pump
3) label all your first aid gear with the year you bought it. For example, I know all my bandages, Tylenol, ibuprofen are due for replacement soon, as they all say 2018 on them
4) if you don't finish a project on time, put it all in a Ziploc bag, with a paper label inside the bag, sharpie outside will wear off. In other news my winch rebuild project is 2 years behind schedule

Edit:

Even off brand vise-grips are good

Tools rust like crazy if your dehumidifier stops working, I like this solution

This bag (with nylon zipper, which won't corrode shut)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0047O3JQM

Inside of this dry bag (35L)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001Q3KKMI

Dry bag comes in multiple colors, I keep my ditch bag in an orange one, first aid in a red one, tools in black, primary foul weather gear in blue, secondary (mostly worn out stuff, and/or Lost and found) in green

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 8, 2021

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I’m rebuilding winches on the work Santa Cruz tomorrow, I’ll be thinking of you. The three-speed Barients are a bitch but the rest are pretty easy. The two port side winches by the mast were so crusty I had to pound the drums off with a mallet. Hopefully nothing too shocking for the rest, those two never get used so no exercise to keep them loose. I didn’t like the jib halyard tension so I went to grind some on and the winch was locked up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a, bronze? Locking... Pin? It's more like a piece of bar bronze used as a pin, but it's corroded in place. Wouldn't come apart after a half hour of banging on it, so we ended the project early. Can't get the drum off without removing it.

Was thinking about just pulling the winch to just soak the whole thing in degreaser + ____ , but then it becomes part of a much larger project of fixing all the things under the head board, including replacing one of the H2000 display units and maybe plumbing in a NEMA 2000 drop

Bingo Bango
Jan 7, 2020

alnilam posted:

Okay, so you can't necessarily go rent a lil sailboat in every far off place you go to, but if there's a place you go to a lot you can join the club, is kind of the how it goes?

This was all news to me, since I grew up sailing on Lake Champlain and there are plenty of day/week small sailboat rental companies around. I just sort of assumed that would be the case for most major bodies of water?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"Can't lose the ignition key, if it's corroded into the cylinder :thunk:"

- Me, probably

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I’ve got a little boat set up to go out on Erie for perch and walleye and stuff. This thread has also made me want to look into renting/finding a sailboat or club.

Maybe I can find someone who wants to trade boats for the day, as long as there’s no small craft advisory that day what could go wrong right?

https://youtu.be/9vST6hVRj2A

But seriously when life calms down a little hopefully next summer I can find a local yacht club to learn some new stuff.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

alnilam posted:

Thanks! One thing I am curious about that I have not been able to find a straight answer for, is how common is it to be able to rent/charter a basic little sailboat? Googling it yields a lot of fancy-rear end luxury yacht rentals. I'm going to learn on a J-24 keelboat that I understand is considered pretty basic - can I go to any old marina in sailable waters and rent a similarly small, simple sailboat for the day? Or are rent-able sailboats few and far between?

I've rented small sailboats (keel) in San Diego without joining a club (Mission Bay), I relayed that I used to own a 25' sloop in Marina Del Rey (I did) and have some experience.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Hi boat thread, long time lurker here. Story time: I went through some horrible personal poo poo in 2019, then 2020 was a bust for obvious reasons, but one of the ways I got through them was dreaming about one day learning to sail and being the captain of my very own wet spaceship. Well, I'm honestly not sure how it happened, but, uh, a few weeks ago I moved to Cornwall (UK) to get away from loving London, and then I was browsing sailing lessons, and found that there's one of the best proper sailing schools in the country 10 minutes from me, and then a friend got in touch and offered to buy my company and camera equipment...

Anyway, I'm doing a day of VHF training tomorrow (!) and start Day Skipper Theory on Monday! Holy gently caress.

Hadlock posted:

If you thread your whisker pole through your standing rigging for the genoa, and then autogybe in 25 knots of breeze, you're likely to bring down mast. Seems pretty obvious, but only if you know autogybing is a major risk.

One thing I'm very aware of is that I'm short on experience but have lots of free time and some spare cash for training courses, but I want to soak up as much knowledge as possible in the real world rather than just what we cover in training. So, plan is to hit up some local racers and sailing charities around here once I'm at least competent crew and just get some sea time in.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^nice. Yep join the local club or just find a way to get to know the local boaters.
Nice change from London! I don't go Cornwall much, tend to head to north Devon for the surf but there's just endless great coast down there.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I took my first sailing lesson today on a 15’ keelboat at a local lake and it was very fun and extremely mentally refreshing. A+ will sail again.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Yaaay, welcome to sailing!

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

occluded posted:

Hi boat thread, long time lurker here. Story time: I went through some horrible personal poo poo in 2019, then 2020 was a bust for obvious reasons, but one of the ways I got through them was dreaming about one day learning to sail and being the captain of my very own wet spaceship.

Same, sailing has helped me through some rough times recently.

I live in Nebraska, the only triple-landlocked state/province in North America, but I found a great little club on a small lake nearby. I got a screaming deal on a 1980’s Snipe and have been fixing it up and racing. It’s been a really rewarding hobby even for living out in the cornfields.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

how much harder is it to sail a large boat vs a small one? I have a sailing kayak and I get the gist of it but I feel like the experience of sailing it probably only carries over the core concepts and not very much of the actual skills.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The mechanics stay the same, we have a 34' boat and I keep trying to get my wife to enroll in dinghy school. Sailing a keel boat is like driving a bus, sailing a dinghy is like driving a go kart. If your butt is even 6" off the center line, you'll immediately notice it, on a keel boat one of your crew may have smuggled aboard a keg of beer (or six blenders and four handles of tequila) and nobody would be the wiser

Weight distribution, sail trim etc all matter on both types of boats, the changes you make are much more noticeable on a dinghy. When we race our keel boat we spend a whole lot of time staring at our overpriced digital displays to see if snugging up the boom vang made 0.10 kts improvement in boat speed, because you sure as hell can't feel that acceleration on a 15,000 lb boat with 1,200 lbs of crew waddling around

If you have the option, hang your sail closer to the water, your boat will be less tippy

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Having just taken a basic keelboat sailing class (first time ever on a sailboat, it was awesome!!) I'll say that while the mechanics are the same, there's a bit more involved with ropes (ahem, "lines"), and with hoisting the sails up and trimming them. Also a bigger sail and boom on a bigger boat means jibing is a bit more dangerous of a maneuver - not so if you do it right of course.

In other words you're better positioned than i was when i started my class, but, i also don't imagine you could just hop on a sloop and know what to do right away.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

By closer to the water do you mean lower down the mast? Unfortunately it needs to be all the way up or the boom swings uncomfortably close to your head. The kayak is pretty tippy feeling just paddling though :v:. The outrigger floats are a necessity when the sail is mounted

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

My limited experience crewing on keelboats and and skippering dinghies, the smaller boats (Snipes, Lasers, etc) can be more physically challenging to sail since they involve body movement, the spaces to move around are small, and every input makes a big difference in speed and handling. The bigger boats can be more comfortable but higher consequence if you screw stuff up.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

alnilam posted:

Also a bigger sail and boom on a bigger boat means jibing is a bit more dangerous of a maneuver - not so if you do it right of course.

Correct solution to this is the skipper always yells "HEADS!!!!" when gybing

That said, some crew are more prone to being boomed than others

PokeJoe posted:

By closer to the water do you mean lower down the mast? Unfortunately it needs to be all the way up or the boom swings uncomfortably close to your head. The kayak is pretty tippy feeling just paddling though :v:. The outrigger floats are a necessity when the sail is mounted

Ducking the boom is pretty standard part of sailing

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I have a question for the more experienced sailors: how did you get into sailing? Were you born into a sailing family? Just wandered onto the docks one day? What made you chose it?

exe cummings fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 10, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

yard salad posted:

Were you born into a sailing family?

Yes

But then there was a gap for about 5 years after my mom sold our boat, and I got back into it by getting into racing J/24s which were/are a pretty popular class in Texas

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

yard salad posted:

I have a question for the more experienced sailors: how did you get into sailing? Were you born into a sailing family? Just wandered onto the docks one day? What made you chose it?

Summer camp. Taught on a classic Penguin centerboard (not keel) boat.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Bought a 26’ boat on eBay on a whim one day, never having sailed before.

How hard could it be?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Trap sprung, Moxie spotted

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Big Taint posted:

How hard could it be?

Sailing is easy, I guess.

Sailing well and safely, on the other hand... That's harder.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

Boat repair chat

1) those latches where you have to put your finger in the hole and blindly trigger the latch, are a great way to break your finger when you go over an unexpected wave

goddamn I hate those things. C&C99s use them as well. Luckily you can just grab the lazarettes at the bottom to open them

Thistle nationals was a loving blast. When a multiple Olympic gold medalist comes in 5th you know the competition was high-level.

yard salad posted:

I was a goony goon playing Battlefield 2, didn't really ever leave the house or have hobbies and a school acquaintance needed crew and came by my house and kidnapped me. Seriously. I had never been on a boat before even having grown up like 5 minutes from the water.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Big Taint posted:

How hard could it be?

You've already done the hardest part

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Wibla posted:

Sailing is easy, I guess.

Sailing well and safely, on the other hand... That's harder.

Sailing is easy.

Seamanship is dammed hard.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I sailed in a Snipe regatta for the first time last weekend. It was really fun and I learned a lot. Someone took some amazing drone photography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03p4CfKKMYc

e: I also bought a West Wight Potter 19. Hoping to take it out tomorrow evening for the first time.

exe cummings fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 14, 2021

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^awesome. I was out this past weekend in the Solent again, my mate brought a drone and it was great fun messing around with it taking photos. Anchored up at Newtown national nature reserve for lunch, it was so hot & sunny we actually swam off the back of the boat (not a common occurrence here - it was still very chilly lol). Beautiful spot (but no wind to speak of all day):

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

yard salad posted:

e: I also bought a West Wight Potter 19. Hoping to take it out tomorrow evening for the first time.

Congrats! Post pics please

If the boat didn't come with one, swing by your local sporting goods store and pick up the cheapest canoe paddle possible as backup propulsion/steering. Nothing quite like drifting back to the dock in almost no wind, except for the wind to completely die 300 feet from the dock/boat ramp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Congrats! Post pics please

If the boat didn't come with one, swing by your local sporting goods store and pick up the cheapest canoe paddle possible as backup propulsion/steering. Nothing quite like drifting back to the dock in almost no wind, except for the wind to completely die 300 feet from the dock/boat ramp

It comes with an outboard, but I didn’t get into sailing to gently caress around with boat motors, so I’ll throw a paddle in.