Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Outboards are great until bad gas clogs your carberator or any other of a thousand reasons why poorly maintained outboards die or fall to start

Looks great in navy blue, I was imagining it in eggshell white like 99% of them, that looks way better in blue, good purchase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Outboards are great until bad gas clogs your carberator or any other of a thousand reasons why poorly maintained outboards die or fall to start

Looks great in navy blue, I was imagining it in eggshell white like 99% of them, that looks way better in blue, good purchase

Yeah the blue looks great. I love the chunky looks and especially the steel window hatches and teak handhold. It looks like a little tugboat :member:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Ya I love the stubby but purposeful look of Potters.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

yard salad posted:

It comes with an outboard, but I didn’t get into sailing to gently caress around with boat motors, so I’ll throw a paddle in.

awh. looks like a baby Catalina 22

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Got her out on the lake tonight!

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

She sails great. I was a dork and had the main cleated in when a big gust came up, and she just turns to windward. Otherwise enough heeling to keep things interesting without spilling the beer. There’s probably too much weather helm than necessary at the moment. The prior owner never tuned the mast, so that’s on the list

Here she is at the dock

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

yard salad posted:

She sails great. I was a dork and had the main cleated in when a big gust came up, and she just turns to windward.

This is called "one hand on the tiller, one hand holding a beer" and there's nothing wrong with that, so long as you're not racing, and your foredeck doesn't call you out for it

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

That's a good looking little boat!

I'm currently being tempted by this Columbia 24 that I have no reason to purchase since I have plenty of other people's boats to sail on here in Chicago...

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I'm currently being tempted by this Columbia 24 that I have no reason to purchase since I have plenty of other people's boats to sail on here in Chicago...

What's the best way to get into sailing around here? Sort of interested in it and don't really know anyone with local knowledge, until now :getin:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was up in Chicago for a wedding one time couple years ago and got a ride as crew on a Tartan 10 (30') on just a couple days notice. If you troll the local yacht clubs forums they usually have a crew list, or you can email the race chair and tell them you're interested in crewing as "rail meat" and you have your own pfd and within a week or two someone will call you up with an offer. Sailing season in Chicago ends in two weeks though, so good luck

If you hear of anyone getting a ride on a "GL70" cancel your plans and go with them, they're amazing boats

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

What's the best way to get into sailing around here? Sort of interested in it and don't really know anyone with local knowledge, until now :getin:

I learned to sail through Sail Chicago, which is a great organization. You can take lessons ranging from total beginner with 0 experience, all the way up to getting certified to check out their boats for very cheap (~$50-$100 for 4 hours, depending which boat and time).

They also have a Wednesday night racing program, you can pay a one-time $100 fee and join as crew on Wednesday night races all summer, there are usually 4-5 boats (Colgate 26) from Sail Chicago racing at once.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Seconding formal classes if your brain works that way.

I went out for a practice sail last night on one of Atlantic Yachting's J/24s for probably one of the last times this year. They put the boats away in October. The temperature was great and the winds were really nice. Manhattan Yacht Club was inexplicably having a race at dusk, and we blundered through the pack of racing boats at least once.

We made it back to the dock a couple of minutes after sunset. Only a little sketchy for a boat with no working lights.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I had to start from the ground floor, so I took classes from the nearby sailing club in Iowa. This helped significantly since I didn't know anything about sailing except to keep the flappy parts above the water.

It's been warm and windy around here. Great late-summer sailing. They put the docks in end of October, so we have a few more weeks.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

yard salad posted:

She sails great. I was a dork and had the main cleated in when a big gust came up, and she just turns to windward. Otherwise enough heeling to keep things interesting without spilling the beer. There’s probably too much weather helm than necessary at the moment. The prior owner never tuned the mast, so that’s on the list

Here she is at the dock

This look lovely. Does it have any accommodations? Berths, stove, head??

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

That's a good looking little boat!

That's a great deal.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

This look lovely. Does it have any accommodations? Berths, stove, head??

Yep it sleeps four, with a big v-berth and two quarter-berths. It has a sink, butane stove, lots of lights, and a porta potti. Once I sort out the anchor, I hope to camp out before the season is over. The headliner and the cushions are in great shape.

My absolute favorite part of the cabin is the steel windows that open. I’ll have to get a good picture.

It sacrifices some cockpit space for more cabin space, but on a 19 foot boat it still isn’t cavernous.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Took my last sail this season on one of Atlantic Yachting's J/24s

We got into a race with sailed in the same direction as one of Manhattan Yacht Club(?)'s J/80s.

Can't wait until next season!

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Took my last sail this season on one of Atlantic Yachting's J/24s

We got into a race with sailed in the same direction as one of Manhattan Yacht Club(?)'s J/80s.

Can't wait until next season!

That’s amazing!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
A headliner, on a boat, let alone a sailboat, sounds like a very bad idea.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Almost every boat larger than 25' have a headliner of some sort

I'm getting ready to pull the headliner down on my j/105 to swap out one of my b&g displays, and pull my cabin top winches to service them. Might put in a red LED light in the ceiling for offshore passagemaking at night. And to clean out/service the companionway hatch slides

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

I do not enjoy the outboard motor on my boat. The gas tank stinks and the line leaks. It’s pointless overkill for the lake I sail on, but I feel like I should have it “just in case”.

Should I sell it? Get a trolling motor? Throw the crew out and make them push?

Also, I tried to hook up the battery today and my incompetence cost me a melted terminal and probably a lot of new electrical work lmao whoops!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Torqueedos are getting pretty popular these days if you've got $2000 to burn

The best solution to no wind, I'm not sure if you've seen the other thread, but the best solution is a Honda generator, 5 lbs of ice, 2 parts tequila, 1 part triple sec and 1 part lime juice, and some fraction agave nectar, and a blender (backup blender optional, but recommended)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 5, 2021

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

yard salad posted:

I do not enjoy the outboard motor on my boat. The gas tank stinks and the line leaks. It’s pointless overkill for the lake I sail on, but I feel like I should have it “just in case”.

Should I sell it? Get a trolling motor? Throw the crew out and make them push?

Also, I tried to hook up the battery today and my incompetence cost me a melted terminal and probably a lot of new electrical work lmao whoops!
How big is the boat?

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

El Grillo posted:

How big is the boat?

19 foot West Wight Potter

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hadlock, ship your 105 to Charleston for Race Week. We should have at least the 5 local boats and whoever else wants to show up out to play :)

re: headliners, eh, extra weight for no benefit.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

As someone whose sailing experience is entirely 2 weekends on the water taking the ASA 101 class... is there a reason people don't just use oars for small (<25') sailboats? Outboard motors seem like such overkill to me, especially given how much grief they cause people, but I definitely don't really know what I'm talking about either.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

having rowed a 20' or so wooden sailing dory against the wind it is loving exhausting

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

alnilam posted:

As someone whose sailing experience is entirely 2 weekends on the water taking the ASA 101 class... is there a reason people don't just use oars for small (<25') sailboats? Outboard motors seem like such overkill to me, especially given how much grief they cause people, but I definitely don't really know what I'm talking about either.

Some people do, but they're mostly self-haters.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I found a PRO who is headquartered near Wilmington NC waiting for him to recooperate from an out of state regatta and get back to me with details

Looks like Charleston has an actual offshore race association, at least. The only actual yacht club near Wilmington with a race chair, I think is an Opti Mom, which is... disappointing. Also "yacht club" is more of a marketing term out east for some reason

Might have to get a passport 40 for margaritas and a J/70 for regattas? Not the worst solution in the world

Crunchy Black posted:

J24s kick rear end.

Crunchy Black posted:

re: headliners, eh, extra weight for no benefit.

Is this Doctor Laura's parachute account? How are those swiss cheese bulkheads/stringers and lifetime ban working out for you

A J24 racer of all people ought to know what you can and can't remove for weight. Our head door lives in the lazarette for a reason

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

alnilam posted:

I once saw a sailor using ginormous oars on a sailboat (monohull) that had to be over 30' in length.

FWIW there are decent electric outboard motors now, with much more power than the trolling ones. Good deals on LFP (LiFePO4) batteries too.

There's even inboard electric auxiliaries on some sailboats now, some that can even charge the batteries when underway on sail.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alnilam posted:

You wouldn’t be able to paddle against most currents in sailboat. Even in a lake I wouldn’t want to paddle a boat more than a couple dozen yards. I’ve had 1 mile kayak and SUP trips turn hellacious when wind and current flip on you, and those are designed to be paddled.

As a kid my dad had a little 13’ wellcraft tri-hull (small motorboat) and when we broke down found our canoe paddles were completely useless. We had to anchor pick our way back to the ramp. That day we also discovered the saltwater flats we fished were loaded with alligators who apparently couldn’t hold their breath long enough to stay hidden as we made our slow progress.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

I guess you can use a single big oar and sculling to move a decent sized boat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LDltfO3fI8

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

This isn't strictly about boats. I have a question about knots, and the only thing I know about boat people is that they only thing they like as much as boats is knots.

I have a large tarp that I'm going to be tying on to some fixed metal hoops on a wall. The tarp has eyelets at 1m intervals, and the hoops will not likely be conveniently at 1m intervals, since I'll be fixing those onto existing vertical battens spaced maybe on 400 or 600mm approx (I wasn't specific with it when I put them in).

My assumption then is that I'm going to have to run some short lengths of rope between the eyelets and the hoops to make up the difference. What would be the best knot to use for this?

It's going to go wall -> hoop -> small carabiner -> rope -> eyelet -> tarp, so I can tie on to the carabiner via whatever means, doesn't have to be super easy to untie, but I will need to pull in the slack as I'm tying it as it won't have a turnbuckle to make it taut.

One of the eyelets will be tied with a longer length on to some scaffolding and it would be great if whatever knot I use for that would be fairly easy to remove so I can take it down easily.

Does any of that make sense?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Can you mspaint up a little diagram? It's a little hard to understand

If a taut line is what you need though, the taut line hitch, or its slightly better variation the adjustable grip hitch, is probably going to help you. I've used it a lot in putting up tarps.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

A J24 racer of all people ought to know what you can and can't remove for weight.

J24s don't have headliners. :q: And I've never protested anyone for not having a non-working outboard even though it's class req'd.

So long as you weren't being purposefully lovely, CORA is okay and there are some good folks involved but you're also talking about the club that had a hissy when the fact that its burgee was pretty confederate adjacent was inquired about and ultimately voted to not do anything about it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Jaded Burnout posted:

This isn't strictly about boats. I have a question about knots, and the only thing I know about boat people is that they only thing they like as much as boats is knots.

I have a large tarp that I'm going to be tying on to some fixed metal hoops on a wall. The tarp has eyelets at 1m intervals, and the hoops will not likely be conveniently at 1m intervals, since I'll be fixing those onto existing vertical battens spaced maybe on 400 or 600mm approx (I wasn't specific with it when I put them in).

My assumption then is that I'm going to have to run some short lengths of rope between the eyelets and the hoops to make up the difference. What would be the best knot to use for this?

It's going to go wall -> hoop -> small carabiner -> rope -> eyelet -> tarp, so I can tie on to the carabiner via whatever means, doesn't have to be super easy to untie, but I will need to pull in the slack as I'm tying it as it won't have a turnbuckle to make it taut.

One of the eyelets will be tied with a longer length on to some scaffolding and it would be great if whatever knot I use for that would be fairly easy to remove so I can take it down easily.

Does any of that make sense?

Most of the time you're trying to secure a tarp or similar you want a truckers hitch. There's different ways to tie it, but the important part is a loop midway along the rope that acts as a pulley to tighten everything down. Also the knot of choice for attaching a Christmas tree to the roof of your car. If you see a super-complicated diagram, just go find a simpler version. You're not sailing to the New World with your knots.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

J24s don't have headliners. :q: And I've never protested anyone for not having a non-working outboard even though it's class req'd.

So long as you weren't being purposefully lovely, CORA is okay and there are some good folks involved but you're also talking about the club that had a hissy when the fact that its burgee was pretty confederate adjacent was inquired about and ultimately voted to not do anything about it.

Maybe I'm having dejavu but I feel like we've been having his conversation across at least two different threads now

Jaded Burnout posted:

about knots,

Unrelated, but this is a fun/magic knot, the alpine butterfly, which allows you to add a loop to any piece of rope without needing access to the ends. I sometimes teach this to people who can't grasp the bowline knot as it has similar loading properties, but can be taught/understood in under 30 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2aRj8dQPRQ

Major downside is that after it's been loaded up, is almost impossible to untie without using a markinspike. On the plus side, it's one of the few knots that slippery dyneema won't self-untie under load

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 28, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Most of the time you're trying to secure a tarp or similar you want a truckers hitch. There's different ways to tie it, but the important part is a loop midway along the rope that acts as a pulley to tighten everything down. Also the knot of choice for attaching a Christmas tree to the roof of your car. If you see a super-complicated diagram, just go find a simpler version. You're not sailing to the New World with your knots.

I personally think the taut line / adjustable grip hitch is a better choice for tightening a tarp. Trucker's hitch is fantastic for cinching loads down, but using it to taut up a line is a bit of a misapplication imo, it'll work though and this is definitely a knot geek argument

e: however JB my pal i would still love to see a little diagram of what the heck you're talking about

alnilam fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 28, 2021

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

alnilam posted:

this is definitely a knot geek argument

Then I came to the right place :)

alnilam posted:

e: however JB my pal i would still love to see a little diagram of what the heck you're talking about

Wall at the top right. Fence to the right, fence to the left. Large block to the right is the intended tarp placement. Block on the left is some scaffolding I can use to tie off to. The fence on the left also has concrete posts I can tie off to. I don't think I actually said, but the point of the tarp is to provide a dry work area, so it's going to be suspended overhead.

I'll be fixing anchor points onto the upper wall and the right hand fence, but since those points will line up with posts and battens on the wall/fence, they likely won't neatly line up with the eyelets on the tarp, so in some cases I won't be able to clip the eyelets directly onto the anchor points and will need to make up the difference, which I'm intending to do with a taut line at each point that needs it.

The bottom left corner of the tarp will also need a longer line as it's hanging out in space, so I'm intending to run one over to either the scaffold or the concrete posts on the left hand fence.

Hopefully not to confuse matters, but the tarp is actually wider than pictured, but I was going to let it hang down for the remainder, but I may actually use the full width which means it'll extend further left past the end of the wall and will need two lines running to the scaffold/fence to hold up the tarp where the tarp extends past the end of the wall (but not all the way to the fence).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

alnilam posted:

I personally think the taut line / adjustable grip hitch is a better choice for tightening a tarp. Trucker's hitch is fantastic for cinching loads down, but using it to taut up a line is a bit of a misapplication imo, it'll work though and this is definitely a knot geek argument

I'm going to want to play around with an adjustable grip hitch now, because its probably the better solution to many of my knotting needs. However, one of the things I like about the trucker's hitch is even my knot-novice-rear end can make one entirely out of overhand knots and set the tension exactly where I want it (anywhere from "snug" to "banjo string") and know it won't come undone (Knotter's Note: Don't do this unless you plan on removing your rope with a knife, because you will be).

I'll let the knot nerds who actually know what they're talking about debate what the best knot is, I just want the OP to know the scrub-route is available.