Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Hi boat thread, long time lurker here. Story time: I went through some horrible personal poo poo in 2019, then 2020 was a bust for obvious reasons, but one of the ways I got through them was dreaming about one day learning to sail and being the captain of my very own wet spaceship. Well, I'm honestly not sure how it happened, but, uh, a few weeks ago I moved to Cornwall (UK) to get away from loving London, and then I was browsing sailing lessons, and found that there's one of the best proper sailing schools in the country 10 minutes from me, and then a friend got in touch and offered to buy my company and camera equipment...

Anyway, I'm doing a day of VHF training tomorrow (!) and start Day Skipper Theory on Monday! Holy gently caress.

Hadlock posted:

If you thread your whisker pole through your standing rigging for the genoa, and then autogybe in 25 knots of breeze, you're likely to bring down mast. Seems pretty obvious, but only if you know autogybing is a major risk.

One thing I'm very aware of is that I'm short on experience but have lots of free time and some spare cash for training courses, but I want to soak up as much knowledge as possible in the real world rather than just what we cover in training. So, plan is to hit up some local racers and sailing charities around here once I'm at least competent crew and just get some sea time in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU