Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
For hiking boot, I’m assuming you’re not in need of decent ankle support, and someone you can find pretty much anywhere?
Merrells aren’t gonna do you wrong, probably. They’re not the best, they’re not my favorite, they’re not too expensive, but they’ll just do.
Lowas are my favorite brand. I love my Renegades more than I love certain family members.
Lemme see if I can find the link to the gear thread for you…
Here we are. It’s been a while since I read the thread, but I think people talk about boots a lot there, scroll through a few pages if you can. And if they’re not talking about boots now, they sure will if you ask.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Trip complete!
2880 miles between destinations over 9 days.

Fiascos:
- rear brakes: 450 in Colorado. Car still shakes; needs new front brakes too. I’m thinking Les Schwab never did the 4 wheel alignment they charged me for.
- Reno. Just what a hot mess. Should have just stayed at the Marriott, so they could play in the pool. gently caress Travelocity so hard, but that’s not a national park issue.
- kids being turds. They threw such fits over not wanting to share Switch Games.

Big Wins:
- Grans Teton was the poo poo.
- Yellowstone was pretty dope.
- Estes Park (gateway to RMNP) was a very pretty drive
- Craters of the Moon was really neat.

Disappointments:
- Rocky Mountain National Park has a timed entry pass system. They release them at 5pm for the following day. Could t make it work to get in which was a bummer.
- too many people at Yellowstone made for some cramped hang outs.
- everyone who openly admit to being unvaccinated and going maskless everywhere.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A lot of national parks are like that now, the popular/accessible ones are only enjoyable on the off seasons. It was trending towards overcrowding the past 5-10 years and then 2020 hit and it got really bad because so much was shut down.

It's good that people are doing outdoor stuff more but the system can't handle it (and it's not just a US issue, it's happening everywhere).

And on a personal level it means one has to do more work to find quiet places to go. You can't just google for the best spots and run with it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

otter posted:

Oregon trail in reverse day 3:
Rations set to expensive, pace set to grueling.

West Yellowstone, Montana was fairly nice except my 6-year-old had a meltdown when mama wanted to look around at stores and demanded instant dinner. There is a McDonald’s right down the street but mama nixed that and we ate at a diner on the main strip. It wasn’t horribly priced but it wrecked my digestive system.
Breakfast at the hotel was definitely a grade above that at Red Lion the morning before. We drove around the southwestern quarter of the park and saw Old Faithful. Despite sitting in the sun for an hour and a half it was worthwhile to see the geyser blow. I got a couple pictures that looked pretty good. There were too many people overall and we couldn’t have lunch at the grill / gift shop though people had some kind of bbq sandwich that smelled really good. Wife started having a panic attack over the crowd so we went on to Grant Village which was fantastic because there was practically nobody there. The food option was a hot dog. I ordered one and my 8-year-old had one. My 6-year-old had some of my chips but for some reason (too much salt?) he spat his chewed up chips into my uneaten chips and completely ruined my lunch.

Went on to Grand Teton which was fully majestic. I might have enjoyed that drive through to Jackson Hole even more than Yellowstone. Stopped in many places to take pictures. I wish my kids and wife wanted to hike but alas, they all gave up after a few steps. We drove along the trails and it was lovely. I definitely agree with everyone who endorsed the pizzeria at Leeks by the boat landing. Super good food and really reasonable considering. Pizza and the Teton Garlic Bread was less than Wendys in Jackson Hole.

Right about when we got to Jackson Hole my kids became absolutely insane poo poo-fit throwing monsters. They ruined the experience which led to Wendy’s for dinner and arguing in the hotel room.

Also, Under Armor’s hiking shoes are horrible and they gave me monster painful blisters on the backs of my heels. So after one day they are going to goodwill. I need something more comfortable for Rocky Mountain since there seem to be easy trails there. Recommendations?

Yellowstone to Jackson Hole is definitely a great part of the experience. I hope to do it again some day when I have slept for more than an hour at some point over the last 48 hours.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Rick posted:

Yellowstone to Jackson Hole is definitely a great part of the experience. I hope to do it again some day when I have slept for more than an hour at some point over the last 48 hours.

This is so true.
The mountain views took my breath away, which is hard because living in Oregon is a lot like Yellowstone without the geysers and sales tax. I wasn't blown away by much of Yellowstone because we already live in a mountain-and-river filled valley area which is very accessible.

Jackson Hole was not my favorite, in part due to the fact that it is really no different than Estes Park or any other mountain pass ski resort town. They all have the same everything and it's fairly generic. The hotel was neat because it had bunk beds for the kids (Pony Express) but everything was very overpriced.

We also didn't get to see Dinosaur Monument due to the travel time. I think we are going to go to Olympic NP later this summer and probably Crater Lake again. Gotta get some use out of our annual pass.

We have also discussed doing Vegas/ Hoover Dam / Grand Canyon / etc as a trip in a couple of years.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So I'm going to Glacier at the end of the month! I am a total East Coast tenderfoot/flatlander who's mostly done car camping and overnight backpacking trips before kids a billion years ago. Kids are ornery almost teenagers but one at least likes fishing so there's that. Some folks want to horseback ride (not necessarily in the park itself) and some want to white water raft. I'll be on Flathead Lake so if its possible rent kayaks that'd be cool. Not sure if its feasible to paddle to the island park there or not but we are close by. Wide open to any and all suggestions like where to get cheap(er) groceries and good restaurants and how to avoid rabid Trump supporters.

And yes, already got our Going to the Sun road pass. I think there's also a 'get in the door' park pass as well, don't remember if that's covered with the sun road or not.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the towns on Flathead lake have boat rentals. If you get a paddle boat be ready for a workout, it is a very large lake. Worse if it gets windy, paddling upwind is glacial.

Maybe it's easier if you can launch at Dayton.

The state park on the south west corner (big arm) is a great camping spot right on the water.

Montana is mega chud, you ain't escaping it. There's no notable bargain places for food, but if it's cherry season a drive along the east coast of the lake will provide you with so many buying options you'll have the runs for a month.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Oracle posted:

So I'm going to Glacier at the end of the month! I am a total East Coast tenderfoot/flatlander who's mostly done car camping and overnight backpacking trips before kids a billion years ago. Kids are ornery almost teenagers but one at least likes fishing so there's that. Some folks want to horseback ride (not necessarily in the park itself) and some want to white water raft. I'll be on Flathead Lake so if its possible rent kayaks that'd be cool. Not sure if its feasible to paddle to the island park there or not but we are close by. Wide open to any and all suggestions like where to get cheap(er) groceries and good restaurants and how to avoid rabid Trump supporters.

And yes, already got our Going to the Sun road pass. I think there's also a 'get in the door' park pass as well, don't remember if that's covered with the sun road or not.

I moved to the area recentlyish and honestly it's less chuddy than you probably think, def less than other parts of the country (Idaho, Texas, parts of Oregon).

You'll need the normal pass in addition to the GttR pass.

Be prepared for crowds and a long drive. Flathead lake isn't as close as it looks on the map and once you actually get in the park the drive up Lake McDonald is another 30 minutes before you start getting into the main areas.

Glacier is huge but most of the traffic is around GttSR (which is incredible), if you head north polebridge is a cute little pit stop and access into the northern parts of the park. Lots of stuff to the south and on either side on the continental divide to, but it gets increasingly rugged the farther you go from GttSR.

Please get and carry bear spray if you do any hiking anywhere in the area, in and outside glacier proper.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

I moved to the area recentlyish and honestly it's less chuddy than you probably think, def less than other parts of the country (Idaho, Texas, parts of Oregon).

You'll need the normal pass in addition to the GttR pass.

Be prepared for crowds and a long drive. Flathead lake isn't as close as it looks on the map and once you actually get in the park the drive up Lake McDonald is another 30 minutes before you start getting into the main areas.

Glacier is huge but most of the traffic is around GttSR (which is incredible), if you head north polebridge is a cute little pit stop and access into the northern parts of the park. Lots of stuff to the south and on either side on the continental divide to, but it gets increasingly rugged the farther you go from GttSR.

Please get and carry bear spray if you do any hiking anywhere in the area, in and outside glacier proper.

Checked my email, got both passes, we good.

I noticed on one of the horseback riding websites that they say there's a lot of construction right now and that's making it even worse? How early is early to try and avoid some of the traffic? 5am?

WHERE THE HELL CAN I ACTUALLY BUY BEAR SPRAY its not like you can order it off Amazon. I mean I'm sure they sell it in the park proper but I'm also sure I'd be paying more than for a fifth of good whiskey at that point.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can absolutely buy bear spray off amazon. But if you can't for some reason, any outdoor equipment store sells it. REI is an easy one to look up. There's several local outfitters in Kalispell to try out.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The grocery stores up here sell them as well, just buy some when you get here it's all over.

You probably won't see one tbh unless you do backpacking but it's decidedly better to have it and not need it (both for you and the bear), they're definitely all over.

As to how early I'm not sure I tend to avoid the peak seasons, I would think 5 am would be good but you never know. It's not as crowded as Rocky mountain national park if that means anything.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 10, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

The grocery stores up here sell them as well, just buy some when you get here it's all over.

You probably won't see one tbh unless you do backpacking but it's decidedly better to have it and not need it (both for you and the bear), they're definitely all over.

As to how early I'm not sure I tend to avoid the peak seasons, I would think 5 am would be good but you never know. It's not as crowded as Rocky mountain national park if that means anything.

Thanks, we had to make an unrelated trip up to Chicagoland and I picked some up at an REI there (along with a holster). There's reports of hour long waits just to get into Yellowstone right now so I'm kind of staring blankly.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I don't know what it's like now, but last summer late July I was at Yellowstone twice and both times entered the park from Gardner around 5-6am and went right in, no traffic, no one even manning the gate house. It definitely gets busier once the sun comes up but early morning there was hardly anyone there but the hardcore photographers and wildlife watchers.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
The answer to any national park gate is always to go asscrack early.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Natty Ninefingers posted:

The answer to any national park gate is always to go asscrack early.

this is correct

On a related note I've honestly been shocked that my park hasn't been absolutely slammed like every other park has been, but then again a huge percentage of our visitation comes from overseas and most international travel restrictions haven't lifted yet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you get there before the rangers you don't even have to pay! :angel:

(once upon a time on a road trip I stopped at Badlands NP after midnight and walked the trails under a full moon, didn't see a single soul. Then I was at CoTM a week later and bought an annual pass so I technically did pay for it, just not when I was supposed to)

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Surprisingly enough, Grand Canyon was not that packed today. We’ll see if it picks up tomorrow. It’s afternoon and the campground is maybe 1/3 full.

As said above, maybe the lack of international travel?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Surprisingly enough, Grand Canyon was not that packed today. We’ll see if it picks up tomorrow. It’s afternoon and the campground is maybe 1/3 full.

As said above, maybe the lack of international travel?

Let me know if you have any questions or need any suggestions! I am quite familiar with that particular hole in the ground.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Thanks!
Been here before, showing my GF. I’ve been kneecapped but a recent accident though, so we’re taking it easy and taking in the sights close to parking lots, stay at Mather tonight and driving out east to stop and see stuff tomorrow. Anything in particular someone who can’t walk super far can do (aside from the big stuff right next to the campgrounds?)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Thanks!
Been here before, showing my GF. I’ve been kneecapped but a recent accident though, so we’re taking it easy and taking in the sights close to parking lots, stay at Mather tonight and driving out east to stop and see stuff tomorrow. Anything in particular someone who can’t walk super far can do (aside from the big stuff right next to the campgrounds?)

Driving out towards Desert View is definitely a great way to experience the canyon without having to walk too far from your vehicle, so I endorse that plan. You can also try and swing by the visitor center tomorrow morning after 8am and get an accessibility pass, which will let you drive out towards Hermit's Rest without having to get on and off the shuttle bus.

e: There's also an evening program at 8:30 tonight at Mather Amphitheater, and a Geo-Glimpse program at 9am in the same place. Mather Amphitheater is a decent hike from the campground so you'll probably want to drive over, but it's only about a 5 minute walk from the parking lot at park headquarters.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 17, 2021

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
Now that things are opening up again, I was looking to plan a trip to Yosemite with 1-5 other people (I live 3-4 hours driving from the park, so its not hard for me to get there). However, all of the campgrounds seem to be completely booked out for the entire duration that reservations are open. How does one get a campground reservation at Yosemite? Is there a specific time one needs to log into the reservation portal to find just-opened slots? Also, are there other good options for cheap accommodations in the area? I've only ever been with my parents where we stayed at an in-park hotel.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

You’re starting awfully late in the season for one of the most popular parks in America, much less the year after Covid when everyone and their brother wants to get away from it all. I’d make plans for next year while everything is wide open, or aim to stay at a park or motel outside the park and get a day pass (there are up to an hour waits just to get in right now starting at 8am).

If you’re that close maybe after Labor Day would give you more luck.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Driving out towards Desert View is definitely a great way to experience the canyon without having to walk too far from your vehicle, so I endorse that plan. You can also try and swing by the visitor center tomorrow morning after 8am and get an accessibility pass, which will let you drive out towards Hermit's Rest without having to get on and off the shuttle bus.

e: There's also an evening program at 8:30 tonight at Mather Amphitheater, and a Geo-Glimpse program at 9am in the same place. Mather Amphitheater is a decent hike from the campground so you'll probably want to drive over, but it's only about a 5 minute walk from the parking lot at park headquarters.

Just wanted to say thanks for this - the ranger took one look at my knee and gave me the pass. Was able to show my gf more of the park than I thought I would, being able to just park and hobble out was super useful. We did a lot of driving and had a huge long day, so decided to just get to bed instead of stay up later and go to the amphitheater.

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry

CrypticFox posted:

Now that things are opening up again, I was looking to plan a trip to Yosemite with 1-5 other people (I live 3-4 hours driving from the park, so its not hard for me to get there). However, all of the campgrounds seem to be completely booked out for the entire duration that reservations are open. How does one get a campground reservation at Yosemite? Is there a specific time one needs to log into the reservation portal to find just-opened slots? Also, are there other good options for cheap accommodations in the area? I've only ever been with my parents where we stayed at an in-park hotel.

As you know, in typical years, it is almost impossible to secure in-park lodgings or campsites in the summer unless you are on it and make reservations early in the year. Once my young teen kids were vaccinated, I thought this was the chance to finally take them to Yosemite, as the park is requiring advance res for entry until September. A friend told me camping in the park is at reduced capacity right now, so I started looking at tent lodgings at Curry Village. I would check every night, and noticed that availability would pop up here and there. I’m assuming people who reserved it are cancelling last minute, not sure. Anyway, I started looking two weeks out, and was able to secure three nights in late June. I think if you’re flexible with your dates, it’s doable. The cost is $149 per tent cabin, and there are several sleeping arrangement configurations. The park was crowded, but not like it was in pre-covid summers. We had a great visit.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Re: Yosemite.
I was there last November and it was amazing, there was almost no one. I saw a completely different park than usual. While there, I got some tips from a couple from Fresno for those who live close to the park. This was while there were still restrictions on entry into the park (you needed a reservation), but bits may still be helpful. They had been there every weekend for months with the strategy of:
1: book a campsite outside the park, close as you can.
2: watch recreation.gov reservations every day, once or twice a day. As you get closer something always pops up for a night, sometimes a week out, sometimes a few weeks out. Book it, especially if it’s the first day of your trip. Sometimes you can cobble together a weekend at different sites and just carry your tent over (that’s what I did).
3: stay at whatever combination you can, but once you get into the park campsites it’s easier to spot cancelations and book them, provided you have service.

A lot of that might not be applicable still since the rules have changed, but I think it comes down to this: be on recreation.gov every day. Be flexible about your dates. Be flexible enough to move sites for the night. It’s worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That technique is risky and irritating but it does work. That's how we spent a week in GNP several years ago in the many glacier area, we showed up with two nights booked that we were able to reserve well in advance and then once we got there were able to swap every day or two between the hotel and the campground when late cancellations came in.

You really need a solid plan B though in case it doesn't work out.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
Thanks for the replies, sounds like Yosemite is not going to work out this summer. We may go to Pinnacles instead, I'm sure it'll be much less crowded there.

punchbuggy
Feb 16, 2011
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img
]
Clapping Larry
Pinnacles! I have still yet to camp there. My son went there on a camping trip when he was still in the Scouts, and still raves about it. Maybe next year for us.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Pinnacles will be fun! There's plenty of space to camp out if you have a little ground clearance. I camped out there back in November for a couple days.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is there anything must-see in the Durango, CO/Four Corners region? We're doing a roadtrip at the end of August for 10 days and are just kinda playing it by ear. Camping looks p easy at national forest campgrounds at least.

On our probably going to visit list is Mesa Verde, Capitol Reef, and Grand Canyon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shiprock is a really neat feature, but is completely closed these days without a tribal escort. You can still see it from the road though and might be worth a stop. Canyon de Chelly is said to very cool but I've never been.

Natural Bridges national monument is a nice stop between Capitol Reef and Mesa Verde. Then if you drive south on 261 you can go down the dugway which is a crazy gravel road along the face of a mesa.. not for people afraid of heights. And that will dump you into monument valley which is a big draw.

A bit more outside the triangle you've set up, Bisti badlands has some epic rock formations.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Is there anything must-see in the Durango, CO/Four Corners region? We're doing a roadtrip at the end of August for 10 days and are just kinda playing it by ear. Camping looks p easy at national forest campgrounds at least.

On our probably going to visit list is Mesa Verde, Capitol Reef, and Grand Canyon.

The drive from Ouray to Durango is absolutely stunning.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

CrypticFox posted:

Check out Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park and their associated National Forests. They're both relatively close to Yosemite and there are a ton of campgrounds there. Even this late in the season they're generally not as crowded as Yosemite. Especially King's Canyon which almost always makes the list of least trafficked parks in California.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kinda annoyed at the NPS right now, we planned a day to visit the west side of RMNP where they have the burn scar from last year, a few flowers and grasses are starting to take over and it looks really interesting.

But they have banned stopping along the road and had two rangers driving up and down actively punting anyone stopped. All picnic areas and campgrounds were roped off too.

I get it, being in a burned forest is super dangerous and people tromping around in naked soil is horrible for recovery, so yeah, police the trails. But I don't get why they let people line up alongside a road by the dozens to take bad pictures of elk but staring at some burned trees is a massive problem.

Anyways thanks for listening, like and subscribe.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Let me know if you have any questions or need any suggestions! I am quite familiar with that particular hole in the ground.

We're heading out there in a month, camping in a tent at Desert View, since that seemed less touristy than GC village. We'd like to do some nice day hikes and stuff, no overnight backpacking since that's a bit too advanced for us rightn ow. What's good around there and what should we know? How hot/cold will it be?

This is part of a bigger trip, where we're driving out from SF, staying somewhere probably around Mammoth on the way and hitting up Grand Canyon for 3 nights, Zion for 3 nights and finally Bryce for 3 nights, tent camping at all 3 places.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
For good or ill, I'm taking a trip with my family to visit an ailing relative in Jackson Hole (her husband was in the forest service and was stationed out there when he died 10 years ago, she's been there since). I'm not super thrilled about the covid situation but nevertheless I might never see my aunt again. We leave Sunday.

What should we not miss in Grand Tetons? Me, my sister and her boyfriend are relatively in shape, my mother and father are 74 and not disabled but not up for... fully strenuous stuff. I think my folks are planning a boat tour or something.

Is there a day-long hike that the three of us who can hack it should prioritize? I've got light duty gear from when I walked the Inca Trail so I don't expect any specialized purchases to be necessary.

I am into wildlife photography and have a serviceable DSLR, also sister's BF is a big time photographer, so I'm looking forward to seeing stuff.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

The Tetons are amazing. (A picture I shot on the road in June is my left-monitor wallpaper).
Jackson Hole is really the same generic mountain tourist town with the same unmemorable souvenirs etc as all the others but even more expensive. Pretty much nobody was following any kind of covid prevention methods when I was there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's three easy + famous photography spots you can get to no problem, they're so famous you probably already know about them but I'll list them anyways: Mormon Row (once you look it up you'll probably recognize it), Schwabacher Landing (popular for dawn shots that reflect the mountains), and Oxbow Bend (tree growth means you can't replicate Ansel Adams' shot of the spot but everyone tries anyways). The shoreline on Jenny Lake is extremely nice too, if the water is calm the reflections are bonkers. It has lots of colorful rocks on the bottom too which are nice.

I've never done it but Cascade Canyon is reported to be a very nice hike with lots of great scenery to photo but I'm not sure I'd invite seniors onto it. Ampitheatre lake is another good destination but is a steep trail with lots of switchbacks. The peaks are getting snow now though, so that might limit options. You'll need to be prepared for cold.

Antelope Flats is named that for a reason too. If you like wildlife stuff I'd look into that.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

xzzy posted:

You'll need to be prepared for cold.

oh my god lmao it's almost October. I just checked the forecast, that rules. I don't know why my brain (it's March 561st 2020) didn't quite put this together but gently caress yes, I'm taking my base layers and 3 in 1.

TY for the recommendations, I'm getting similar thoughts from a mountaineering/climbing buddy. Jenny Lake sounds very nice and if we do ferry + hike the olds can turn around at their discretion.

otter posted:

Jackson Hole is really the same generic mountain tourist town with the same unmemorable souvenirs etc as all the others but even more expensive. Pretty much nobody was following any kind of covid prevention methods when I was there.

I mean, this I know. No intention of doing anything in town really. it's just where my aunt happens to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

oh my god lmao it's almost October. I just checked the forecast, that rules. I don't know why my brain (it's March 561st 2020) didn't quite put this together but gently caress yes, I'm taking my base layers and 3 in 1.

TY for the recommendations, I'm getting similar thoughts from a mountaineering/climbing buddy. Jenny Lake sounds very nice and if we do ferry + hike the olds can turn around at their discretion.

I mean, this I know. No intention of doing anything in town really. it's just where my aunt happens to live.

i think im still irritated that the ice cream place had closed while we were trying to find it, and the kids had an absolute meltdown since my wife HAD TO buy a ball shaped candle for 30 minutes and they had not eaten since 4 (it was close to 9?)