Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Gunshow Poophole posted:

What should we not miss in Grand Tetons? Me, my sister and her boyfriend are relatively in shape,

So, people say this, but the high altitude can kick your rear end until you get used to it. Don't jump out of whatever vehicle got you there then immediately do anything strenuous, unless you come from Colorado or somewhere where you're used to the air density.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

MRC48B posted:

So, people say this, but the high altitude can kick your rear end until you get used to it. Don't jump out of whatever vehicle got you there then immediately do anything strenuous, unless you come from Colorado or somewhere where you're used to the air density.

Thanks, yeah for sure. we're taking it easy for 48 hours before anything harder than a leisurely walk. Airsick lowlanders the lot of us.

Also again not the time to need medical attention of any kind considering covid. Extra care with the olds in the group.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

otter posted:

This is so true.
The mountain views took my breath away, which is hard because living in Oregon is a lot like Yellowstone without the geysers and sales tax. I wasn't blown away by much of Yellowstone because we already live in a mountain-and-river filled valley area which is very accessible.

Jackson Hole was not my favorite, in part due to the fact that it is really no different than Estes Park or any other mountain pass ski resort town. They all have the same everything and it's fairly generic. The hotel was neat because it had bunk beds for the kids (Pony Express) but everything was very overpriced.

We also didn't get to see Dinosaur Monument due to the travel time. I think we are going to go to Olympic NP later this summer and probably Crater Lake again. Gotta get some use out of our annual pass.

We have also discussed doing Vegas/ Hoover Dam / Grand Canyon / etc as a trip in a couple of years.

I agree at Jackson Hole. I guess if you are lucky and are showing up when a good band is in town Jackson Hole is good but it just made me mad that I couldn't get a room because it was 100% booked despite being very expensive and I knew there wasn't anywhere else to stay for many hours.

I don't like to gamble that much so Vegas is not really for me, but, I do enjoy the Vegas -> Grand Canyon drive. It's pretty boring between Vegas and Hoover Dam but the Hoover Dam is amazing and the trip steadily gets cooler after you get past Kingman and are basically enter a freeway through a forest. If it's the right time of year. If you want to do North Rim that is really cool too and after going through the mountains, you pass through some Desert-rear end Desert.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

luminalflux posted:

We're heading out there in a month, camping in a tent at Desert View, since that seemed less touristy than GC village. We'd like to do some nice day hikes and stuff, no overnight backpacking since that's a bit too advanced for us rightn ow. What's good around there and what should we know? How hot/cold will it be?

This is part of a bigger trip, where we're driving out from SF, staying somewhere probably around Mammoth on the way and hitting up Grand Canyon for 3 nights, Zion for 3 nights and finally Bryce for 3 nights, tent camping at all 3 places.

Sorry for missing this! This thread got buried in my bookmarks, and I didn't even see this post until a day ago. On the off chance you haven't left yet and are still looking for advice, feel free to shoot me a PM.

In other NPS news:

It's Fat Bear Week! As many of you know, every year Katmai National Park runs a competition over social media on the year's "Fattest Bear." This year they've even gone one step further with a junior bracket:

There's even a thread in GiP to discuss this year's competition

In more Alaska park news, the Denali Puppy Cam has returned! One of the highlights of the year, imo

And finally: today marks the 100th birthday of Betty Reid Soskin, the oldest park ranger in the service.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rick posted:

If you want to do North Rim that is really cool too and after going through the mountains, you pass through some Desert-rear end Desert.

Seconding the recommendation for the North Rim, especially for those who've seen the canyon before. Only 10% of park visitors actually go to the North Rim, so it's a lot less crowded, especially during the summer. There's also a ton of great hiking trails up there, which is in stark contrast to the South Rim where there's really only one trail above the rim, and four marked trails that go down into the canyon*—which isn't ideal when most folks shouldn't exactly be doing long hikes into the canyon during the summer.

*Bright Angel, South Kaibab, Hermit, and Grandview. Technically there's a sign at the head of the Tanner Trail as well, but... well, I'll let the trail description do the talking:

quote:

What remains of a once popular pioneer-era trail goes down the gully immediately east of Lipan Point. The upper section of the Tanner Trail is narrow, badly eroded, and can be difficult to follow, especially after a winter storm. The trail stays on the slopes east of the bottom of the gully through the Toroweap and switches to the west side at the top of the Coconino. Rock slides in the Coconino have covered the original trail in places, forcing hikers to improvise short sections. The trail descends steeply across the slope west of the bed of gully nearly all the way to the Seventyfive Mile Creek - Tanner Canyon saddle. A prime canyon view at the saddle is the reward for a couple of miles of notably insecure hiking.

The next three miles present the only reasonably civilized hiking to be found along the entire route. Traversing near the bottom of the Supai, the trail contours around the base of Escalante and Cardenas Buttes, goes up to cross a small ridge and descends to the top of the Redwall. Walk the rim of the limestone north; watching for the place the trail starts down the Redwall cliff well short of the end of the developing promontory. The view from the Redwall rim across to the Palisades of the Desert is exceptional.

The Redwall descent is nasty—steep and loose. A thin coating of gravel makes some slipping and sliding inevitable and a serious fall is a real possibility, so take your time. The trail contours along the base of the Muav to a neat little saddle at the top of the Tapeats. Ancient faulting has created significant offset within the\ Tapeats Formation, so a hiker has to effectively walk through the Tapeats twice. The Supergroup (Dox Sandstone) appears about 2 miles above the river. Pay attention in the Dox. The trail chokes down to about a foot wide and traverses across an angle of repose slope of eroding red sandstone that falls away for hundreds of feet. The unrelenting grade of the trail as it drops toward the shoreline puts the final touches on already weary canyon hikers.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That sounds rad

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Sorry for missing this! This thread got buried in my bookmarks, and I didn't even see this post until a day ago. On the off chance you haven't left yet and are still looking for advice, feel free to shoot me a PM.

No worries! We ended up doing:

• 1 day in Joshua Tree
  • 3 days in Grand Canyon
  • 3 days in Zion
  • 1 quick drive through Bryce

Joshua Tree was pretty nice, we didn't have any :catdrugs: so we couldn't come up with a new startup name or anything. Got up early to hike a couple nature walks, retreated to our Airbnb at like 11am and then got back out at sunset, found some rocks to climb up and watch the colors change.

Grand Canyon, we camped at Desert View which is like a 30 min drive from the Grand Canyon Village. In some regards a bit wonky since we had some hikes and stuff that started over there, but it's also a very chill smallish campground a 5 minute walk from the rim. Pro move is to get up before sunrise, walk over to watch the sunset with the only noise from the birds and rustling of the trees, see an amazing sunrise and then go make breakfast. We had our bikes with us so we rode up from the village to Hermit's Rest one day, but the main event was to hike down Bright Angel to 1.5 mile rest house and then back. We started at like, 7am (30 min later than I wanted) and were out at 10am. Saw a bighorned ram just chilling in the middle of the trail. Hiking back out we saw people starting their hike at 10, which seemed dumb as gently caress.

After that though, we were like "... well what else is there to do on the south rim when it's too hot to hike down in and you've seen all the viewpoints".

Zion was amazing. We both liked it better, despite needing to stay in a hotel (since it was too hot to camp in a tent) and full of boomers. Having bikes was a pro move since we didn't need to wait for the town shuttle to start and we could bike up to the lodge to go on a hike one day. We did The Narrows, a bucket-list worthy hike where you have to walk through the river in the middle of the canyon. Biked to the entrance, rented water shoes and wetsuit socks for, and caught the first shuttle out to the trailhead. Nice hike, loads of people but no real good place to pee once you're in there. Our final day we wanted to hike Angel's Landing, but a combination of bad weather, having woken up at 5am every day for hikes and bad sleep we called that off and looped through Bryce instead.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
TY for all recs our (relatively short) stay in Tetons was perfectly timed

Colors INSANE and in four days they went from "developing" to "already falling off the trees"

Also way, way too many people here, but the challenging trails were nicely isolated

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
Just made camping reservations at Pinnacles NP with my darling! I haven't been in years, since it was just a National Monument and hadn't been changed into a Park yet. My family also stayed in a hotel in Soledad rather than camping. Anything I should know about camping there? It's not too party-oriented, is it? We're hoping not to have to do any driving, which seems feasible since the park is so small. I'm also a birdwatching weirdo, so I'm hoping that February will be a fruitful time of year for that. Fingers crossed for condors!!!!

(And speaking of Zion, I was backpacking there a couple years ago and saw a condor perched on the rock by the trail less than 100 yards from me. Unbelievable!! You didn't miss much by skipping Angel's Landing if you like solitude, though :) when I was there the line climbing up the bridge was like a waterslide line at Six Flags)

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

snailshell posted:

Just made camping reservations at Pinnacles NP with my darling! I haven't been in years, since it was just a National Monument and hadn't been changed into a Park yet. My family also stayed in a hotel in Soledad rather than camping. Anything I should know about camping there? It's not too party-oriented, is it? We're hoping not to have to do any driving, which seems feasible since the park is so small. I'm also a birdwatching weirdo, so I'm hoping that February will be a fruitful time of year for that. Fingers crossed for condors!!!!

I camped at Pinnacles two years ago and the campsite was very quiet and spread out, I don't think you'll have much of an issue with partying. You can get to every trailhead in the park without driving, but you might not want to. It's about 3 miles from the campsite to the Bear Gulch parking lot (next to a very small ranger station/visitor center), and the area in between the campsite and the ranger station isn't nearly as interesting as all the stuff you get to past the ranger station. You may want to save your energy for hiking around the cool part of the park and drive to and from the Bear Gulch area and the campsite. There's also a shuttle bus that runs from the visitor center, which is right next to the campsite, to the Bear Gulch parking lot if you don't want to drive yourself or if there are parking issues. One other thing to note is that as of two years ago there was no internet connection or cell service at the Pinnacles campsite (or anywhere in the park except the top of the high peaks trail).

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I went up to Yellowstone with my fiancée, my stepdaughter and my niece back at the beginning of August and I'm finally editing all the video of it. The day we drove from West Yellowstone, through the park, then on to Big Horn for more camping just finished rendering last night if anyone is interested in it. Youtube washed out the colors a decent amount but it's all in 4K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFqAuVhAYk0

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
My wife and I went to Joshua Tree National Park towards the end of last year. It's something that could be done in 1 day if you had an early start and a full day to dedicate to exploring. Some people do it as a day trip from Las Vegas or LA, I think we ended up having 3 days in the park which was plenty. We had a more relaxed approach - getting up in the morning and seeing a few main things before it got crowded and then finding a quieter place to have lunch / read / nap in the afternoon. Also lol that they warn you about getting there early before the parking lots fill up, when early is like 10 AM local time.

Just driving the main loop through the park you get to see plenty of Joshua Trees as well as a variety of rocky outcrops and areas to explore. I'd also recommend driving at least to the Cholla cactus garden which lets you see the transition from the Colorado to Mojave deserts. The Barker Dam trail is the most popular hike at the park, but we did that first thing one morning and only ran into a couple other groups after we got away from the parking area. We also checked out an old ore processing spot near the Barker Dam trail but decided not to try to see the other abandoned house or mine areas. If you are interested in that kind of stuff there is one (Keys Ranch?) where you need tickets to get access which is by tour only.

Other highlights:
Hall of Horrors - fun rocky area to explore and climb through.
49 Palms Oasis - hike up into the hills through the desert to a palm oasis. There are a few other oasis trails in the area but this was one of the only shorter options.
Eureka Peak - ungated entrance to the park on a dirt road that takes you to an overlook of the valley. The view was very similar to some of the crowded main overlooks in the park but we were the only people up there for sunset.
Mexican Street Tacos - tasty spot in Twentynine Palms with tacos plus bonus tres leches cake.

In Palm Springs there is an aerial tramway that takes you up ~9,000 feet to an alpine forest and views of the valley. It was neat going from desert to seeing snow at the top which was completely different from the rest of our trip. There was a two hour wait for the tram so plan ahead. We ate our packed lunch and read while we waited.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm going to Isle Royale this summer, taking a seaplane from Houghton MI to and from. Since it's a long drive to Houghton I'm going to be staying overnight before and after the trip.

By any chance is there anything worth checking out in Houghton? My expectation isn't high but no harm in checking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe bring a blacklight and find a nearby beach, look for some yooperlite?

There's some scenery out by Keweenaw Point, Estivant Pines is an old growth forest segment and the rocket range is a local curiosity.

Hungarian Falls is closer to Houghton if you don't want to drive that much (more).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm going to Isle Royale this summer, taking a seaplane from Houghton MI to and from. Since it's a long drive to Houghton I'm going to be staying overnight before and after the trip.

By any chance is there anything worth checking out in Houghton? My expectation isn't high but no harm in checking.

You could take the mine tour. Or check out the mineral museum. Also get a pasty if you're not familiar with them, they're awesome.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Finally made it out to Pinnacles National Park. It’s a cute little place, but definitely packed on the weekends. We got there Thursday, left Saturday. Huge difference in crowds from when we got there to when we left.

The hikes they say are easy are very very easy, even if they’re more miles round trip than people who don’t hike would expect. The strenuous hikes looked pretty steep, but the gf didn’t want to try it so I couldn’t tell you.
Also that was a vulture, not a California Condor. Yes, that one too. Yeah and probably that one.
… we probably didn’t see any condors. Good luck spotting one.

Definitely go see this park during the week if you’re in the area, IMO don’t make a huge trip out to see it if you’re not and you’d come on a weekend (unless you like rare birds, in which case I’ll probably see you on the Channel Islands too).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I've been neglecting this thread! To make up for it, here's a trip report for a bunch of the parks I visited last year:

Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado

Rocky is an awesome, awesome park. I visited in April of 2021, when the vast majority of the park was still covered in snow and Trail Ridge Road was still closed. I didn't have too much time, but I managed to drive around the parts of the park that were accessible, and hiked up to Emerald Lake through snowfall. An absolutely incredible and beautiful experience, and I can't wait to visit again—though maybe next time during a warmer month, so I can check out the west side of the park as well.

(As a heads-up, Rocky Mountain along with several other parks are moving to a timed-entry system in 2022, to help deal with the massive crush of crowds many parks experienced last year. If you're planning a trip this summer, make sure to get tickets ahead of time.)

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Colorado

I didn't have as much time to spend at Black Canyon as I wanted to, but the brief time I had certainly made an impression. Funnily enough, Black Canyon actually reminded me mostly of its bigger cousin in Arizona, particularly Grand Canyon's inner gorge. It's a site most visitors don't get to see (As merely getting down to the inner gorge is a significant endeavor all on its own), but the steep and craggy granite walls that tower above the Colorado are very similar to the ones I saw standing above the Gunnison. Of course, I say this not to take anything away from Black Canyon—it is truly an awesome, awesome sight, and certainly far more accessible than Plateau Point :v: Of course, I'll have to hold my total judgement until I can go back and do some real hiking—and maybe get a chance to see it from the North side as well.

(As an aside: In general, Colorado is an awesome state to drive through. If the chance arises to drive across Colorado, particularly either across I-70 or along US 550 between Montrose and Durango, you should absolutely take it)

Chaco Culture National Historic Park, New Mexico

One of many parks dedicated towards preserving the remaining structures built by the Ancestral Puebloans, Chaco Culture is, along with Mesa Verde, by far one of the most impressive. The people who built these structures managed to survive and thrive in the harsh climate of northern New Mexico, and the remains serve as an incredible window into the past. If you have previously visited or have been interested in visiting Mesa Verde, you should put Chaco Culture at the top of your list to visit in the future. (Just be aware: You have to drive through a lot of dirt roads to get there).

Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah

I'd previously visited Bryce back in 2018, but my trip got derailed by unexpected weather and uncoordinated travel plans. This time, I was able to spend a full day hiking the Hoodoos, and finished with some very sore legs to show for it. But it was, of course, all worth it—Bryce is a very cool and colorful park, with all kinds of unique rock formations you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else. It's not my favorite Utah park (That would be, so far, Canyonlands), but it is well deserving of a visit, and I'm looking forward to hitting the Fairyland Trail on my next trip back.

Zion National Park, Utah

I actually visited Zion twice this year: Once in July with my girlfriend, and later in September with a group of friends from Michigan. The first visit was actually a bit disappointing—I love Zion and was excited to show it off, but when we got there the park was filled with an obnoxious thick haze, and the Virgin River was both low and filled with silt. But, she loved it all the same, and fortunately when my friends came to visit later in the year the air and river were much, much clearer.

Other than hiking to the upper Emerald Pools (Which had been closed by rockfall during my last visit in 2019), I didn't do too much new during this trip. But I still love the area, and in the future I'm hoping I can take the time to really branch out and explore the west and east sides of the park, away from the crowds of the central canyon. I also need to find some hiking buddies to do the entire Narrows as well—that canyon remains one of my favorite hikes in the entire Park system, by far, and I am desperate to see more of it.

Grand Canyon National Park - North Rim, Arizona

If you think you've been to Grand Canyon, but haven't been to the North Rim, then you owe yourself a trip back. Sitting at over 8,000 feet above sea level (A thousand feet taller than the South Rim), the North Rim offers not only a different view of the canyon itself, but an entirely different environment and ecology. It's not uncommon for tourists to see bison wandering through the meadows along the northern boundary of the park, and driving through in the fall will treat your eyes to a rich bounty of colorful aspens. If you want to do some hiking, there's also a ton of great trails—though unlike the South Rim, only one developed trail, the North Kaibab, actually descends into the canyon. It's a great part of the park, and one that's always fun to come back to.

White Sands National Park, New Mexico

Though established as a National Monument in 1933, White Sands is technically one of the country's newest National Parks, having been re-designated in 2019. Compared to the mountains, canyons, and forests of other parks, the rolling dues of White Sands are a very different experience—and indeed, walking the five mile
Alkali Flat Trail barefoot is one of the coolest and most unique experiences I've had in the parks. Just make sure to bring plenty of water. And don't be the kind of person who just drops a banana peel in the middle of a dune, expecting it to magically decompose :negative:

Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Texas

I'll admit to not expecting much of Guadalupe Mountains. I only really went because it was close by to Carlsbad Caverns, and even when I began my hike I wasn't expecting to be wowed. But I'll admit, by the time I came back from hiking Devil's Hall, it had charmed me. It's a dry, rocky park, but once you get into the interior there's some neat rock formations and fun scrambling to be had. I won't say it's near the top of my list to revisit, but if I'm ever in the area? I'd definitely like to swing back by and explore some more of the park.

Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico

One of the absolute coolest places I have ever been, hands-down. I took a lot of pictures, but nothing can capture the feeling and presence of the incredible and spectacular cave system. Descending through the natural entrance is like sinking into an entirely alien world, and I cannot recommend it enough. Go! Do it now!

Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

Hot Springs is a bit of an oddball park. One of the first places to be set aside by Congress as a natural landmark all the way back in 1832, for the majority of the park's history the springs were used to provide water to a series of increasingly elaborate bathhouses for both therapeutic treatments and simple relaxation. While most of the bathhouses have long since closed, two - Quapaw and Buckstaff - are actually still in operation. But while the historic focus of the park has been the bathhouses, there is some natural beauty to be had hiking up and around the hills around the springs. Definitely not the typical National Park experience, but certainly worth checking out if you're in the area—particularly if you're interested in the history of the springs and the town that built up around them.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 27, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If one goes to RMNP any time soon, I strongly recommend visiting the fire scar on the west side. Access to it was pretty poor in 2021 (trails and road turnouts closed) but there were a couple spots where you could get into it.

Fires suck but witnessing the devastation and hints of recovery are fascinating too.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Yeah seeing fire damage is wild. Over the years I've been able to watch parts of San Diego county regrow due to the fires in 2003 and 2007.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's a big burn scar you drive through on the way to the North Rim of Grand Canyon, and it's filled with baby aspens. When I drove through earlier this year, the leaves were all changing color, and the effect of driving past all the orange and yellow leaves was itself like driving through a kind of living fire. It was rad as hell.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Love the big post Ace.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's a big burn scar you drive through on the way to the North Rim of Grand Canyon, and it's filled with baby aspens. When I drove through earlier this year, the leaves were all changing color, and the effect of driving past all the orange and yellow leaves was itself like driving through a kind of living fire. It was rad as hell.

This is cool I should try and get up there this year.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SirPhoebos posted:

I went to Michigan Tech a dozen years ago. When I was there the biggest news in town was the Walmart becoming a Super Walmart. I doubt much has changed. Get out of town. Driving through the Keweenaw is beautiful if you take the back roads. Take the Brockway Mountain drive on your way to Copper Harbor.

You can also stop by the Jampot to pick up jam made by local monks. https://poorrockabbey.com/

Zero One fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 28, 2022

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm planning on going to Arches National Park next month. The timed entry only has slots available right now after 2:00 pm. Earlier slots will be released the day before the reservation. I'd rather go earlier in the day, but I'm concerned about getting a spot. If I reserve the 2:00 pm slot now, can I drop it later and reserve an earlier one when those become available? Or will I be locked in at 2:00? I'm not concerned about the $2 reservation fee.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What kind of vehicle will you have? If you're a little more adventurous there's back entrances you can take and get in there whenever you want. Some of them need high clearance, others AWD will be fine.

Like, look up the Lost and Found canyon parking spot. A bit south of that is the NP border near a spot called Jug Rock. That puts you about a mile away from delicate arch.

Also look up the Lost Spring Canyon access point.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

What kind of vehicle will you have? If you're a little more adventurous there's back entrances you can take and get in there whenever you want. Some of them need high clearance, others AWD will be fine.

Like, look up the Lost and Found canyon parking spot. A bit south of that is the NP border near a spot called Jug Rock. That puts you about a mile away from delicate arch.

Also look up the Lost Spring Canyon access point.

I have a high clearance 4WD vehicle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then those two spots I mentioned should be easily accessible if you don't mind a drive around the outside of the park. I just pulled up my map of spots and got the gps coordinates of parking:

38.80360842, -109.51759713

38.76076811, -109.49192894

If you want to see the major attractions it's still better to use the pass, but if that doesn't work out it's good to have options.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cool, I'm driving in from Vail so those aren't necessarily out of the way. Staying in Moab that night.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got within 50 yards of a black bear with cubs earlier today in the Poconos, what's the protocol for de-escalating with those ones again?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

C-Euro posted:

Got within 50 yards of a black bear with cubs earlier today in the Poconos, what's the protocol for de-escalating with those ones again?

In most cases with large predators like bears or mountain lions, there's a few key things to remember:

First: Remember that, for the most part, they don't want to deal with humans. We are also large animals, and it is typically more effort than it's worth to attack us. You can reinforce that instinct by making yourself appear as large as possible and making noise.

Fortunately, black bears aren't typically aggressive, so simply leaving the area should be enough. But one of the most important things you can do is back away slowly—never turn and run. Bears are faster than you, and you make yourself a more appealing target that way. Even if a bear charges you, stand your ground — black bears are prone to bluff charges, where they'll run at you and turn away at the last second. If a black bear does attack you, fight back as much as you can.

There's some more information in these articles here:

https://www.nps.gov/articles/hiking-in-bear-country.htm

https://www.nps.gov/articles/bearattacks.htm

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/safety.htm

I'm actually working at a park with bears for the first time this year, so I've been spending a decent amount of time reading up on bear safety and the history of how NPS has handled bears. We have come quite a long way from where we were in the early days, that's for sure.

Horace Albright, second director of the National Park Service, with a trio of bear cubs at Yellowstone National Park.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Bear spray bear spray bear spray. Also make sure you can access it at a moments notice, you can rent the stuff if needed in most places you're likely to encounter them.

Also learn to tell the difference between black and brown bears, color is not a good indicator and basically impossible to tell the difference, look at the shoulder hump, ears and claws (prints).

Black bears require different tactics than brown bears. Black bears you can startle off pretty easily by being loud and tall, though if that doesnt work follow brown bear advice. Brown bears never look them in the eye, never raise your voice and both, never run from or turn your back.

Also you'll never outrun or outmaneuver a bear, they're very fast sprinters.

If you do get attacked, fight back against black bears, play dead against brown.

Lastly bears are cool and terrifying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJVFbr99H8o

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 25, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I lug my bear spray on one of the loops of my backpack's chest straps. I may die but at least the rangers that find me will have to admire how ready to defend myself I was.

Loving the link that says to not hike at sunrise/sunset/night. Like, that's when I'm most active because I'm chasing photographs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Keep in mind that bear spray isn't legal everywhere. I know it's technically not allowed in my park, though (allegedly) it's not something LE will actually ticket for.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Keep in mind that bear spray isn't legal everywhere. I know it's technically not allowed in my park, though (allegedly) it's not something LE will actually ticket for.

Really? That's surprising where at?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yesterday: I finalized plans to go to Yellowstone in a few months.

Today:

https://twitter.com/nbcnews/status/1536457643241390082?s=21&t=qeWhLIeZP__-VukP0D9v0A

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Eh. They’ll probably have it open by then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It depends how many bridges get washed out.

The river near the north entrance raised six feet in one day. Red Lodge is currently underwater, several bridges are gone. Root cause is the beartooth mountains got 9 feet of snow last week, and then heavy rain hit over the weekend.

It might be "open" but whether anyone can get in there or not is another conversation. I guess the south entrance might be okay but that's only because I haven't actually heard of any flooding down there.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
North Entrance is pretty bad:

https://twitter.com/nbcmontana/status/1536463003037495296?s=21&t=qeWhLIeZP__-VukP0D9v0A

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

:stare:

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
That road I’m sure is hosed for a good long time. Probably other roads as well. That being said Yellowstone is one of the few places that I’m sure tax dollars will be thrown at to fix. I doubt we will end up with a Carbon River solution, and while overall mobility is going to be pretty hampered when the goon above does go, it’s not worth giving up just yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat my buddy is heading to Yellowstone this weekend from Florida. Anything else he should look to do if the park is out?