Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.

LostCosmonaut posted:

One of the less famous national parks that I'm a big fan of is Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Visited it last year and it was real cool, and not too busy (not much else going on in southwest Colorado). Was also the only time I've ever actually seen a bear in the wild.

Will vouch for this. Went to college in Gunnison. I go back every year. The Black Canyon will make you feel small and fragile in a big way. The Grand Canyon is longer, but the highest cliffs in North America are in the Black Canyon, and there's no railing at the highest point. If you truly want to poo poo yourself and feel dizzy because you're so far up that you lose the ability to tell which way up is, this is the place for you.

Also, park is a complete secret. I believe this is the least used, but in my mind the most amazing, of all the National Parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor
Nov 18, 2007
I am the cream filling.

The Rat posted:

North rim is usually not very crowded, and the better choice if you want to hike to the bottom. The permits are self serve rather than limited count at the visitors center.

That is also where the tallest cliff is, at Exclamation Point.

The site where, for the first time in my life, I felt like I might actually poo poo myself.