Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Oracle posted:

So I'm going to Glacier at the end of the month! I am a total East Coast tenderfoot/flatlander who's mostly done car camping and overnight backpacking trips before kids a billion years ago. Kids are ornery almost teenagers but one at least likes fishing so there's that. Some folks want to horseback ride (not necessarily in the park itself) and some want to white water raft. I'll be on Flathead Lake so if its possible rent kayaks that'd be cool. Not sure if its feasible to paddle to the island park there or not but we are close by. Wide open to any and all suggestions like where to get cheap(er) groceries and good restaurants and how to avoid rabid Trump supporters.

And yes, already got our Going to the Sun road pass. I think there's also a 'get in the door' park pass as well, don't remember if that's covered with the sun road or not.

I moved to the area recentlyish and honestly it's less chuddy than you probably think, def less than other parts of the country (Idaho, Texas, parts of Oregon).

You'll need the normal pass in addition to the GttR pass.

Be prepared for crowds and a long drive. Flathead lake isn't as close as it looks on the map and once you actually get in the park the drive up Lake McDonald is another 30 minutes before you start getting into the main areas.

Glacier is huge but most of the traffic is around GttSR (which is incredible), if you head north polebridge is a cute little pit stop and access into the northern parts of the park. Lots of stuff to the south and on either side on the continental divide to, but it gets increasingly rugged the farther you go from GttSR.

Please get and carry bear spray if you do any hiking anywhere in the area, in and outside glacier proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The grocery stores up here sell them as well, just buy some when you get here it's all over.

You probably won't see one tbh unless you do backpacking but it's decidedly better to have it and not need it (both for you and the bear), they're definitely all over.

As to how early I'm not sure I tend to avoid the peak seasons, I would think 5 am would be good but you never know. It's not as crowded as Rocky mountain national park if that means anything.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 10, 2021

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Bear spray bear spray bear spray. Also make sure you can access it at a moments notice, you can rent the stuff if needed in most places you're likely to encounter them.

Also learn to tell the difference between black and brown bears, color is not a good indicator and basically impossible to tell the difference, look at the shoulder hump, ears and claws (prints).

Black bears require different tactics than brown bears. Black bears you can startle off pretty easily by being loud and tall, though if that doesnt work follow brown bear advice. Brown bears never look them in the eye, never raise your voice and both, never run from or turn your back.

Also you'll never outrun or outmaneuver a bear, they're very fast sprinters.

If you do get attacked, fight back against black bears, play dead against brown.

Lastly bears are cool and terrifying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJVFbr99H8o

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 25, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Keep in mind that bear spray isn't legal everywhere. I know it's technically not allowed in my park, though (allegedly) it's not something LE will actually ticket for.

Really? That's surprising where at?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

To be fair glacier is "only" 400 miles away and it was a big storm system.

But ya

Etc.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Why are there a thousand people in death valley in the middle of summer, does the whole place not get insanely hot (genuinely curious)?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

newts posted:

I posted these to Reddit, but thought some people might also enjoy them here. My parents have an old photo album of a family trip to Rocky Mountain National Park from around 1916-1920. I’m not sure of the exact dates because my grandfather (who is the little boy called ‘Bim’ in some of the photos) was adopted, but never knew what year he was born.

There is some cool stuff of my relatives (?) climbing Long’s Peak and other CO hikes, and some photos of RMNP from right after it became a national park.

The photos and album are in good condition, my pics of them are atrocious (apologies), but here’s a lot of them: https://imgur.com/a/6ALhpYq

These are very cool thanks for sharing! Did I read that right they climbed longs in 3 hours? Thats insane

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Glacier NP amid a storm a couple weeks ago.

King of the Rock

Watching this was unreal.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Can't wait to have our parks and forests injected with capitalism

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
https://dailyinterlake.com/news/2023/feb/08/loophole-allows-construction-private-home-along-mc

Ahhhhhhhhhh this stuff makes me so angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Rick posted:

What gets it first, beavers or floods?

https://dailyinterlake.com/news/2023/apr/12/district-boa3d-issues-cease-and-desist-order-inhol/

County hopefully :whatup: