Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
For good or ill, I'm taking a trip with my family to visit an ailing relative in Jackson Hole (her husband was in the forest service and was stationed out there when he died 10 years ago, she's been there since). I'm not super thrilled about the covid situation but nevertheless I might never see my aunt again. We leave Sunday.

What should we not miss in Grand Tetons? Me, my sister and her boyfriend are relatively in shape, my mother and father are 74 and not disabled but not up for... fully strenuous stuff. I think my folks are planning a boat tour or something.

Is there a day-long hike that the three of us who can hack it should prioritize? I've got light duty gear from when I walked the Inca Trail so I don't expect any specialized purchases to be necessary.

I am into wildlife photography and have a serviceable DSLR, also sister's BF is a big time photographer, so I'm looking forward to seeing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

xzzy posted:

You'll need to be prepared for cold.

oh my god lmao it's almost October. I just checked the forecast, that rules. I don't know why my brain (it's March 561st 2020) didn't quite put this together but gently caress yes, I'm taking my base layers and 3 in 1.

TY for the recommendations, I'm getting similar thoughts from a mountaineering/climbing buddy. Jenny Lake sounds very nice and if we do ferry + hike the olds can turn around at their discretion.

otter posted:

Jackson Hole is really the same generic mountain tourist town with the same unmemorable souvenirs etc as all the others but even more expensive. Pretty much nobody was following any kind of covid prevention methods when I was there.

I mean, this I know. No intention of doing anything in town really. it's just where my aunt happens to live.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

MRC48B posted:

So, people say this, but the high altitude can kick your rear end until you get used to it. Don't jump out of whatever vehicle got you there then immediately do anything strenuous, unless you come from Colorado or somewhere where you're used to the air density.

Thanks, yeah for sure. we're taking it easy for 48 hours before anything harder than a leisurely walk. Airsick lowlanders the lot of us.

Also again not the time to need medical attention of any kind considering covid. Extra care with the olds in the group.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
TY for all recs our (relatively short) stay in Tetons was perfectly timed

Colors INSANE and in four days they went from "developing" to "already falling off the trees"

Also way, way too many people here, but the challenging trails were nicely isolated

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Is there anything I should not miss in Shenandoah? I've sorta defaulted into having a day and a half by myself while my wife is at a work thing, and the nearest national park is Shenandoah, like somewhere in the middle near Thornton Gap.

I love hiking but am between real boots so I'll be in tennies, otherwise a full day out-n-back or a loop is fine by me as long as I'm not doing anything technical.