Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Never noticed this thread before, I’m a seasonal NPS biological science tech on the east coast and heading back to the beach in a few weeks :)

It’ll be my 4th season keeping an eye on sea turtles and shorebirds (plus another term doing some of the same in Florida).

The birds are angry and the turtles are judgy, but excavating a turtle nest and getting high-fives from the little buddies that are still down there is such a good feeling :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Death Valley is definitely on my list to visit, hopefully next winter! Or maybe sooner, if I can parley a job out there :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Big Cypress National Preserve

and

Everglades National Park

Entrance signs at the Gulf Coast Visitor Center (L) and Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center (R)

Date Visited: March 2022

Today's post is a triple threat! In March of 2022, my parents and sister went on a trip to the Florida Keys, and I decided to take advantage of the situation by driving out of my way to visit my great aunt, and, more importantly, visit some parks! Over the course of a few days, I managed to drive through Big Cypress National Preserve, and to visit the Thousand Islands and Flamingo sections of Everglades (Drove through too late to get to Shark Valley, unfortunately)

Unlike many of the other parks I've visited, Big Cypress and Everglades aren't protected for their magnificent vistas or scenic landscapes. They are instead protected for the incredible diversity of plant and animal life that make their home in one of the world's most critical and endangered ecosystems.

Hermit crabs along the shore on the Gulf Coast (L), Alligator swimming through a stream in Big Cypress (R)

That doesn't mean there aren't magnificent vistas to be had, of course — there certainly are! But the focus is much more on the sheer abundance of wildlife and plant life sustained by the ever-flowing "River of grass." And while in spite of my best efforts I was never able to see a manatee, I was still able to see other incredible sights — alligators floating lazily through the dark water, nesting ospreys, and even a seagull engaging in an aerial duel with a juvenile bald eagle over a freshly-caught fish. It's definitely a park I'd love to visit again, particularly if I had the chance to spend more time on the water — and especially if I was able to bring along a better camera for shooting wildlife. The Gulf Coast section in particular is really meant to be explored by boat, with (At the time of my visit) only a small visitor center and a short trail really available to check out.

But hey, they even have a Cold War-era missile battery! Truly there's something for everyone here :v:

BONUS PARK

Biscayne National Park

Speaking of getting out onto the water! Posting Biscayne is cheating a bit on my part (Hence why it doesn't get its own full post), since we weren't able to really do anything — almost the entire park is underwater, and we weren't able to get on one of the various boat tours. It's definitely on the top of the list for a real visit further down the line.

Next up: lake stuff

I used to work at Biscayne! The eastern limit of the park isn’t determined by any geographic feature or landmark; it’s water depth. The park is literally 95% water and ends at 60ft depth, then it becomes NOAA’s Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (FKNMS/Fuckin’ Ms). There are plenty of mooring buoys around what’s left of the shallow reefs, it’s shallow enough to snorkel and the Biscayne National Park Institute (an allied nonprofit for the park) used to run trips out to them, and I think they still do. At least, if the reefs survived the mass-bleaching event from last summer :smith:

Biscayne is one of the few places that alligators (freshwater) and saltwater crocs cross paths. I’ve seen both in the park before at varying times. We had a few pythons show up while I was there as well, wrestling with one on a 25ft boat is not an experience I want to repeat :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m really missing the Blue Ridge Parkway right now. I work at a national park already, but those mountains are calling me from far away :cry: