Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

A lot of that bill seems like it is excessively and pointlessly interventionist. The digital America the Beautiful pass is actually good; the firing ranges are stupid; the way the filming and photography section is phrased is potentially controversial at certain sites (e.g. certain cultural sites that don’t permit photography; I’m not sure you could really argue taking a photograph actually disturbs the site and that seems to be the only limitation according to this bill). I’m not sure what the existing legal limitations on that last point are though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

If you do come from or stay on the California side, the facilities at Manzanar are very good and well worth visiting. I don’t think many people do road trips along US 395 but it’s a spectacular drive pretty much the rest of its length to the north.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a feel for Crater Lake in the last week of May? Have a chance to spend the night there on a road trip and the NPS site says the rim road doesn't open until June. I'm curious if that's a hard rule or they go ahead and open it whenever the snow retreats enough. Mazama campground opens the 24th and I'll be in the area on the 29th so I assume I'll at least be able to find a place to sleep.

Available webcams kind of show a mixed bag, the crater itself doesn't seem to have a ridiculous amount of snow but some of the road cameras show 5-8 feet.

Basically if they 100% won't open until July I'll pass the area by. But if there's a chance of getting in there I'll keep an eye on conditions.

Rim Road usually opens in two parts.

East Rim usually opens in July and never (as far as I know) before June. However, there is a major road restoration project that is ongoing and no one is going to be driving on it for a few years (I think maybe 2027?).

West Rim drive sometimes opens in May but quite rarely.

That being said, you are still able to get to Rim Village at any time of year as long as it hasn’t snowed too much. Walking around Rim Village is more or less what most people do anyway.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

xzzy posted:

Great, thanks. I was hoping to get to Merriam Point for some night photography. Or the watchman peak parking area. So I'll pencil it in and if the road opens by that point head on up.

Otherwise it's camping at Mt McLoughlin.. which will still be cool.

McLoughlin is indeed cool. I lived in the area for some time and there is much around that is spectacular and not well known to people from outside the area (obviously Crater Lake is): lots of beautiful kayaking in the rivers and creeks to the north of Upper Klamath Lake, hiking in virtually any direction, Lava Beds, Sky Lakes Wilderness, etc.; birding especially in Lower Klamath Lake and Tule Lake NWR.