Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Hello! I'm Ranger Acebuckeye13, and like to thank everyone here for taking the time to visit this thread. We are here, of course, to discuss a very special topic: our National Parks.

Many of the names are famous, of course. There are few people who haven't heard of Yellowstone, Yosemite, or Grand Canyon. But what you may not realize is that within the US National Park system, there are over four hundred NPS sites, ranging from tiny historic sites to massive forests and preserves. In total, the US National Park Service manages more than 85 million acres, a little under 3.5% of the total land area of the United States, and approximately 95% of Washington, DC.

The roots of the National Park system date back to the middle of the 19th Century. As the United States expanded into the west, many influential voices argued that land should be set aside not for industrial use, settlement, or farming, but instead as unspoiled land for the enjoyment of the people. Though ridiculed by those who believed that civilization=progress and 'wilderness' was therefore an affront to civilization, the idea took hold. In 1864, President Abraham Lincoln gave the brand-new State of California the land now known as Yosemite to care for and manage, and in 1872 President Ulysses S. Grant proclaimed Yellowstone as the first "National Park."

As the 20th century approached, more and more land began to be set aside. By 1900, there were six: Yellowstone, Sequoia, Yosemite, General Grant (Now a part of Kings Canyon), and Rock Creek Park (Now a part of the National Capital Parks). A seventh, Mackinac, had been established by Congress in 1875, but disbanded and reformed as a Michigan state park in 1895—such was the newness of the National Park system that the idea of disbanding a park was not yet seen as unthinkable. But it was the place that would become America's 10th designated National Park that would radically reform the entire idea of the National Park System: Mesa Verde.

Once a thriving city constructed by the Ancestral Puebloans, the collection of settlements now known as Mesa Verde was abandoned over two hundred years before Columbus came to America. 'Discovered' and publicized in the late 19th century, Mesa Verde soon became a target of archaeologists and treasure hunters (At the time, too often one and the same). Outrage soon developed when foreign archaeologists began collecting artifacts to ship back to their native countries, and pressure built in Congress to craft legislation that could protect historic sites from such activities. Ultimately, Congress would pass the Antiquities Act in 1906, giving the President the authority to declare land as "National Monuments" that could be given federal protection—and this wide-ranging power was then placed in the hands of a man who would immediately turn around and use it in ways Congress could only imagine:

Bully.

We could easily spend the rest of our time together just talking about Theodore Roosevelt. A man of boundless charisma and relentless enthusiasm, and driven by a strong set of personal convictions, Roosevelt did more to shape the modern American Executive Branch than any other President save for George Washington... and, of course, his younger cousin.

Important for our story, however, is how Roosevelt viewed nature. He was no modern environmentalist, and believed as much as anyone of the time in the values of 'civilization' and 'progress.' He had a lifelong love of the outdoors, however, and believed firmly in the idea of conservation—that nature shouldn't be mindlessly developed, but instead carefully cultivated and preserved for future generations to cherish and enjoy. Thus, when given the power of the Antiquities Act, Roosevelt quickly sprung into action. First was Devil's Tower in Wyoming, followed by El Morro in New Mexico, Montezuma Castle in Arizona, and then fifteen more—including a place that Roosevelt had visited just a few years earlier, in 1903:

quote:

"In the Grand Canyon, Arizona has a natural wonder which is in kind absolutely unparalleled throughout the rest of the world. I want to ask you to keep this great wonder of nature as it now is. I hope you will not have a building of any kind, not a summer cottage, a hotel or anything else, to mar the wonderful grandeur, the sublimity, the great loneliness and beauty of the canyon. Leave it as it is. You cannot improve on it. The ages have been at work on it, and man can only mar it. What you can do is keep it for your children, and your children's children, and for all who come after you as the one great sight that every American should see"

Under Roosevelt, the lands protected by the federal government expanded greatly. By the time he left office, Roosevelt had created 150 national forests, 51 federal bird reserves, four national game preserves, five national parks and 18 national monuments on over 230 million acres of public land, a legacy unrivaled by almost any other president.

However, what Roosevelt had not created was an agency to protect the parks. Even though the first National Park had been established nearly forty years prior, no unified agency existed to manage or protect them. In Yellowstone, and then later in Yosemite, the US Cavalry ultimately took on the duties of protecting the western parks for much of their early existence. Some of these troops included the famed "Buffalo Soldiers," African-American cavalrymen assigned to segregated units and stationed on the western frontier.

While an attempt was made to assign the parks and national monuments to the US Forest Service, a lack of resources and differences in philosophy between the Forest Service leadership and conservation advocates like John Muir (Seen above in the photo with Roosevelt at Yosemite) led many to the realization managing the parks would require a new agency with a specific mandate and budget to do so. And thus, over fifty years since the establishment of Yellowstone, Congress signed into law the Organic Act of 1916.

quote:

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That there is hereby created in the Department of the Interior a service to be called the National Park Service [...] The service thus established shall promote and regulate the use of the Federal areas known as national parks, monuments, and reservations hereinafter specified by such means and measures as conform to the fundamental purposes of the said parks, monuments, and reservations, which purpose is to conserve the scenery and the natural and historic objects and the wild life therein and to provide for the enjoyment of the same in such manner and by such means as will leave them unimpaired for the enjoyment of future generations.

The man appointed as the first Director of the National Park Service was a millionaire industrialist named Stephen Mather. A conservationist who'd lobbied for the creation of the NPS, Mather quickly went to work building and establishing the nascent agency, as well as improving and expanding the parks. Trails were built and roads were paved to cater to the visiting public, while partnerships were established with railroads and hotels to transport and house guests. And all the while, new National Parks were being created, including Acadia (The first Eastern park), Grand Canyon (Promoted from its National Monument status) and the stunningly beautiful Zion:

Along with the National Parks came the Park Rangers. Typically young men with a love of the outdoors and a keen interest in nature, and with uniforms modeled after the cavalry they often replaced, the early park rangers faced a challenging task of establishing themselves in the parks—a task not made easy by the animosity many locals held (And occasionally still hold) against the encroaching parks and federal government. Mather himself would describe them thusly:

quote:

They are a fine, earnest, intelligent, and public-spirited body of men, these rangers. Though small in number, their influence is large. Many and long are the duties heaped upon their shoulders. If a trail is to be blazed, it is "send a ranger." If an animal is floundering in the snow, a ranger is sent to pull him out; if a bear is in the hotel, if a fire threatens a forest, if someone is to be saved, it is "send a ranger." If a Dude wants to know the why, if a Sagebrusher is puzzled about a road, it is "ask the ranger." Everything the ranger knows, he will tell you, ex-cept about himself.

By the time Mather retired in 1929, the Park Service had grown significantly—but in the decade to come, would face immense challenges and opportunities. As the Great Depression rolled across the country, visitors could no longer afford to visit the parks, and the budget of the Park Service waned. But with the election of Franklin Roosevelt in 1932, the parks faced a sudden revitalization thanks to the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). A quasi-militaristic organization consisting of young men with few other prospects, many CCC units were tasked with building trails and other infrastructure in parks across the country, vastly improving facilities and access. At Grand Canyon, for instance, the CCC built a telephone line to establish communications across the canyon, as well as a trail along the river blasted out of hard granite. And all the while, new parks were added, from Kings Canyon in California to the Great Smokey Mountains of North Carolina, in 1941, Mammoth Cave of Kentucky in-between:

As World War II came and went, the CCC was disbanded, the Depression came to an end, and the parks found themselves at the center of a newly enriched and mobile American society. As the railroads gave way to the highways, the parks found themselves inundated with long lines of cars and countless visitors—too many visitors for the parks to support. Sensing an oncoming crisis, NPS Director Conrad L. Wirth instituted Mission 66: A ten year, billion dollar program to expand park facilities and infrastructure to accommodate the ever-increasing number of visitors to the parks. Ultimately, though elements were (and are) controversial, Mission 66 was a massive success, and in many parks the backbone of Mission 66 infrastructure are still crucial for serving the public today.

Of course, it would be remiss of me to mention Wirth and not mention his other lasting contribution to the National Park System: the famed NPS Arrowhead.

In the modern day, the mission of the National Park Service remains much the same as it was in 1916: To preserve and protect the history and environment of the United States for the enjoyment and education of the people. However, though the mission remains the same, much about the Park Service has changed. The modern concepts of preservation and conservation are very different from what they were in the 1920s and 1930s, and the National Parks are now much more focused on protecting wilderness and the environment in their natural states—as opposed to blasting trails, feeding garbage to bears, or pushing burning fires off of cliffs (All things the Park Service used to do)

The National Park Service of today also faces a darker legacy, however. Everything I told you above—the bright, happy history of the parks and park service becoming established—must be balanced against the fact that every inch of land the Park Service occupies once belonged to native peoples—and those peoples are still here. At times, the Park Service has forced people out of their homes, stolen artifacts, trampled ancient structures, and even put the bodies of Native Americans on display. (Whether this is better or worse than outright losing them is up to you). Though many parks are now working with native tribes to attempt to properly tell their stories and make some attempt to right old wrongs, it is still a long, painful legacy, one the Parks must face for generations to come.

The Parks face a number of other issues as well—from a lack of diversity in hiring and visitation, to an utterly ruinous deferred maintenance budget. In many places, the Parks are actively crumbling—and under the current administration, which has fought to shrink national monuments and keep parks open during shutdowns and the ongoing pandemic, there are few reasons to be hopeful.

But in a sense, hope is what the parks are about. Though their legacy is complex, and their future uncertain, they exist today to provide inspiration, education, and recreation not just to American citizens, but all people of the world. No matter if you live in New York or Cairo, Tulsa or Tokyo, Detroit or Berlin—the parks are for you. And, so long as people continue to fight for them, they always will be.

In this thread, I hope we can use this as a place to discuss the parks—and not just the US National Parks, but parks around the world. We can discuss the challenges the parks face, post pictures, swap sunsets, talk trails, and in general celebrate these stunning places of natural beauty, preserved history, and awesome culture (For instance—did you know there's an entire park dedicated to jazz?)

So, welcome to your National Parks. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Spaced God posted:

I grew up in the east coast suburbs so I never really got into hiking or outdoorsy poo poo really, but after my brother and I went to college and my mom moved west, we've all started taking a love to the outdoors! My brother's lived all over as a cop and a park ranger and hotshot and poo poo, so I've been fortunate enough to see Rocky Mountain, GC, Deschutes, and more recently Canyonlands and Arches (where my brother lives now). I've been eyeing the PNW for work soon, but nothing can top the weird high desert of southwest Utah and the eastern slopes in Colorado.

Also adding on to what The Aardvark said, there is nothing better in this world than having a beer with a ranger and letting them talk about their park for hours

Yeah, my story is somewhat similar. I grew up in Michigan with extended family around Philadelphia, so outside of various historical sites and a trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes as a kid I never traveled to any National Parks. It wasn't until I got a job at the park I'm at now that I actually visited any of the parks out west, and since then I've been trying to make up for lost time. Or at least, I was until COVID shut everything down :suicide:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Mukulu posted:

Hey, can you help flesh out some of the requirements for becoming a Park Ranger? I'm currently in the process of finishing a Bachelor's of History and I'm very interested in the National Park system for future employment. I know that for my home state of Minnesota, a history degree satisfies the degree requirement for a state park ranger. I would love to get a job as some sort of National Parks employee in Alaska for at least a part of my life.

I'm an interp ranger myself, and honestly it varies. My own background is that I got a degree in history and political science, went to grad school for museum stuff, and then did some SCA internships (Environmental education with USFWS and then worked on a website for NPS at a battlefield park, which considering I have no programming/website experience was... a time) before my application was picked up by my current park two seasons ago (Which was funny because I applied here completely on a whim and never thought I'd actually get hired here :v:).

From what I've seen, my general advice would be:

-Get experience. Volunteer positions and internships (Student Conservation Association especially, as well as other similar orgs) are a great way to get your foot in the door, meet mentors and other folks who can help you out, and generally figure out just what about the organization actually appeals to you. You may very well find out that while the idea of working in a big-ticket national park appeals to you, having to drive an hour and a half for groceries or to see a movie and living with extremely spotty internet access gets old quick—or you may find out you don't mind, and it's totally worth it! But there's no way to know until you're actually out Doing Things.

-Apply everywhere. A big part of living the seasonal NPS life (Which is where you're most likely to start as an interp ranger) is you've got to be willing to move where the jobs are. Of course, it's not all bad—both the SCA internships I did provided housing, as well as living and travel stipends, so you probably won't starve to death starting out, and you may get to go some neat places. But moving across the country every six months isn't exactly uncommon in the park service, and whether that's something you're willing to do should be in the back of your mind.

-Apply everywhere. Even if you don't think you're likely to get the job, it can't hurt. Set up USA Jobs searches and spend at least some time every week applying to different parks, or hopping on the SCA site and looking at available internships. It's honestly not hard to apply to a bunch of positions at once, and you never know which park might end up calling back (four months after you applied, naturally—be prepared for that, too). And even if you don't get the job, even getting an interview can give you some good experience or give hints as to what the people doing hiring are really looking for.

-Apply to different jobs. Getting into the park service can be difficult, and you may not get an ideal park or position your first season. Fees especially is an extremely unglamorous job—but it's a hell of a lot easier to get into than interp, and can get some experience on your resume you can use to apply for the jobs you really want further on down the road. You may also find different opportunities based on what park you're at—for some special events our park has tried to include folks from every division in the past, giving/writing their own programs and participating in event performances. Doesn't exactly happen often, but it is something to consider.

On the whole, perseverance and self-improvement are key. It can be difficult to get into the service, and there's a lot of parks and positions that are... not fun (Or well paid) (or permanent). But if you get lucky, you can end up in a really cool place doing really cool things, and you end up with a day you get to see five (Five!) California Condors flying overhead, and there are few other jobs where you can end up with such an awesome sight.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vegetable posted:

I've never been to a national park. How much of it is cycling-friendly?

Indiana Sand Dunes? Looks like a good amount.

xzzy posted:

Can we talk about how criminally underfunded the NPS is too? Because it makes me REAL MAD.

Their budget has remained essentially flat for a decade (something like 2.5 billion, plus or minus a couple hundred million) but visitors have increased by 14% since 2014:

Obviously that number should be down this year, but there were 327 million visits in 2019 which is insane considering how little actual land has been given to the NPS:

Don't get me wrong, 2.5 billion is a huge amount of money. And the NPS has done great things with it, but my mom worked in Yellowstone for 4 of the past 5 years and there is nonstop hand wringing about all the projects that can't be done that are needed to support more visitors. The popular parks are extremely overcrowded and the rangers are forced to manage it with cones and roadblocks.

Oh man and don't forget this year's gonna be even worse, since a good amount of funding comes from gate fees and those are completely in the toilet for this year (To the point that my park didn't even have the budget to bring on everyone they'd already promised to hire).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's important to talk about Muir and his legacy because he is, unquestionably, one of the most important people in the history of the US National Park system—without Muir, his fervent advocacy, and evocative (And highly popular) written works, it's very much an open question as to whether the US National Park system would be as expansive or look anything like it does today. But at the same time, the very concept of "Wilderness" that Muir championed, that is today enshrined in congressional legislation and in the missions of modern environmental groups, was derived from a vision of the American landscape that saw native tribes as being apart from the environment, rather than as the people who had served as its custodians and stewards for thousands of years. And this is a major problem considering these native tribes are still here, and even today are forced to sit on the sidelines and watch as the lands their ancestors tended to for untold millennia (Which in some cases is still within living memory!) are now managed by governmental organizations that have been at best ambivalent and at worst outright hostile towards native claims and ways of life.

It's a big, complicated issue, and Muir himself is only the tip of the iceberg. It is very important to realize that talking about Muir's own racism only gets you so far (And, to be fair to the man, he did get less terrible later in life, especially after his trips to Alaska (though from where he started that's an exceptionally low bar)). Far more attention has to be paid to how these beliefs affect the management of the parks, national forests, and other public and private lands today.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm actually looking to stop at Black Canyon on my way cross-country later this month, any advice?

Also, sorry for neglecting this thread! In penance, have some photos from various parks I stopped by last year:

Comet NEOWISE at Grand Canyon:

Sunrise at the Black Bridge over the Colorado:

Hike to Druid's Arch in Canyonlands:

A stark field of black basalt at Craters of the Moon:

Bighorn sheep chillin' in Badlands:

And finally, a wolf standing off against a herd of bison in the early morning mist at Yellowstone:

man parks are cool

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

otter posted:

Good info. I’ve been trying to get my kids more interested in stuff that doesn’t run on batteries.
I just bought an America the Beautiful pass tonight and submitted my vacation leave.

The kids get out of school on a Thursday. Saturday morning I throw breakfast burritos at them and we’re off.
Basically it’s travel travel Yellowstone, Grand Teton, travel, ft Collins, ft Collins, Rocky Mountain np, ft Collins, Salt Lake City, Reno, home.

Is there neat stuff to check out near slc/ Reno that doesn’t add a ton of time to the travel?
The idea is that the kids are going to be primarily focused on playing video games** except when we force them to do nature stuff. My little one has some sensory sensitivities. We aren’t doing mud volcano or dragons breath because of the sulfur smells. I’m hoping he grows out of it before our next big trip. Any suggestions for things to modify / avoid?

**When I was a kid (6) we went to the Grand Canyon. My brother (8) looked and said, ”oh. Ok. Where are the video games?” Fortunately my boys are... ah crap. 6 and 8.

On the way to Yellowstone, you can possibly try stopping by Craters of the Moon, giant lava field in the middle of nowhere, Idaho. It's also not far from EBR-1, which your kids may not have as much interest in but is a pretty neat stop.

If you're driving between SLC and Fort Collins, you could try checking out Dinosaur National Monument. If they're like most other 6-8 year old boys, that should get them excited.

On the drive from SLC to Reno, you can also try diverting through Great Basin National Park. Great Basin is notable for having some of the darkest night skies in the country, and if the timing works out you could try and check out one of their astronomy programs. If your kids have never seen the Milky Way, it's a great opportunity to do so.

Hope that helps!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

withak posted:

I want to go to Dinosaur National Monument.

I've been told it's incredibly cool, and not just for the fossils—There's some incredible landscapes and geology in the area that make the whole park worth exploring.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Natty Ninefingers posted:

The answer to any national park gate is always to go asscrack early.

this is correct

On a related note I've honestly been shocked that my park hasn't been absolutely slammed like every other park has been, but then again a huge percentage of our visitation comes from overseas and most international travel restrictions haven't lifted yet.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Surprisingly enough, Grand Canyon was not that packed today. We’ll see if it picks up tomorrow. It’s afternoon and the campground is maybe 1/3 full.

As said above, maybe the lack of international travel?

Let me know if you have any questions or need any suggestions! I am quite familiar with that particular hole in the ground.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Thanks!
Been here before, showing my GF. I’ve been kneecapped but a recent accident though, so we’re taking it easy and taking in the sights close to parking lots, stay at Mather tonight and driving out east to stop and see stuff tomorrow. Anything in particular someone who can’t walk super far can do (aside from the big stuff right next to the campgrounds?)

Driving out towards Desert View is definitely a great way to experience the canyon without having to walk too far from your vehicle, so I endorse that plan. You can also try and swing by the visitor center tomorrow morning after 8am and get an accessibility pass, which will let you drive out towards Hermit's Rest without having to get on and off the shuttle bus.

e: There's also an evening program at 8:30 tonight at Mather Amphitheater, and a Geo-Glimpse program at 9am in the same place. Mather Amphitheater is a decent hike from the campground so you'll probably want to drive over, but it's only about a 5 minute walk from the parking lot at park headquarters.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 17, 2021

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

luminalflux posted:

We're heading out there in a month, camping in a tent at Desert View, since that seemed less touristy than GC village. We'd like to do some nice day hikes and stuff, no overnight backpacking since that's a bit too advanced for us rightn ow. What's good around there and what should we know? How hot/cold will it be?

This is part of a bigger trip, where we're driving out from SF, staying somewhere probably around Mammoth on the way and hitting up Grand Canyon for 3 nights, Zion for 3 nights and finally Bryce for 3 nights, tent camping at all 3 places.

Sorry for missing this! This thread got buried in my bookmarks, and I didn't even see this post until a day ago. On the off chance you haven't left yet and are still looking for advice, feel free to shoot me a PM.

In other NPS news:

It's Fat Bear Week! As many of you know, every year Katmai National Park runs a competition over social media on the year's "Fattest Bear." This year they've even gone one step further with a junior bracket:

There's even a thread in GiP to discuss this year's competition

In more Alaska park news, the Denali Puppy Cam has returned! One of the highlights of the year, imo

And finally: today marks the 100th birthday of Betty Reid Soskin, the oldest park ranger in the service.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rick posted:

If you want to do North Rim that is really cool too and after going through the mountains, you pass through some Desert-rear end Desert.

Seconding the recommendation for the North Rim, especially for those who've seen the canyon before. Only 10% of park visitors actually go to the North Rim, so it's a lot less crowded, especially during the summer. There's also a ton of great hiking trails up there, which is in stark contrast to the South Rim where there's really only one trail above the rim, and four marked trails that go down into the canyon*—which isn't ideal when most folks shouldn't exactly be doing long hikes into the canyon during the summer.

*Bright Angel, South Kaibab, Hermit, and Grandview. Technically there's a sign at the head of the Tanner Trail as well, but... well, I'll let the trail description do the talking:

quote:

What remains of a once popular pioneer-era trail goes down the gully immediately east of Lipan Point. The upper section of the Tanner Trail is narrow, badly eroded, and can be difficult to follow, especially after a winter storm. The trail stays on the slopes east of the bottom of the gully through the Toroweap and switches to the west side at the top of the Coconino. Rock slides in the Coconino have covered the original trail in places, forcing hikers to improvise short sections. The trail descends steeply across the slope west of the bed of gully nearly all the way to the Seventyfive Mile Creek - Tanner Canyon saddle. A prime canyon view at the saddle is the reward for a couple of miles of notably insecure hiking.

The next three miles present the only reasonably civilized hiking to be found along the entire route. Traversing near the bottom of the Supai, the trail contours around the base of Escalante and Cardenas Buttes, goes up to cross a small ridge and descends to the top of the Redwall. Walk the rim of the limestone north; watching for the place the trail starts down the Redwall cliff well short of the end of the developing promontory. The view from the Redwall rim across to the Palisades of the Desert is exceptional.

The Redwall descent is nasty—steep and loose. A thin coating of gravel makes some slipping and sliding inevitable and a serious fall is a real possibility, so take your time. The trail contours along the base of the Muav to a neat little saddle at the top of the Tapeats. Ancient faulting has created significant offset within the\ Tapeats Formation, so a hiker has to effectively walk through the Tapeats twice. The Supergroup (Dox Sandstone) appears about 2 miles above the river. Pay attention in the Dox. The trail chokes down to about a foot wide and traverses across an angle of repose slope of eroding red sandstone that falls away for hundreds of feet. The unrelenting grade of the trail as it drops toward the shoreline puts the final touches on already weary canyon hikers.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I've been neglecting this thread! To make up for it, here's a trip report for a bunch of the parks I visited last year:

Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado

Rocky is an awesome, awesome park. I visited in April of 2021, when the vast majority of the park was still covered in snow and Trail Ridge Road was still closed. I didn't have too much time, but I managed to drive around the parts of the park that were accessible, and hiked up to Emerald Lake through snowfall. An absolutely incredible and beautiful experience, and I can't wait to visit again—though maybe next time during a warmer month, so I can check out the west side of the park as well.

(As a heads-up, Rocky Mountain along with several other parks are moving to a timed-entry system in 2022, to help deal with the massive crush of crowds many parks experienced last year. If you're planning a trip this summer, make sure to get tickets ahead of time.)

Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, Colorado

I didn't have as much time to spend at Black Canyon as I wanted to, but the brief time I had certainly made an impression. Funnily enough, Black Canyon actually reminded me mostly of its bigger cousin in Arizona, particularly Grand Canyon's inner gorge. It's a site most visitors don't get to see (As merely getting down to the inner gorge is a significant endeavor all on its own), but the steep and craggy granite walls that tower above the Colorado are very similar to the ones I saw standing above the Gunnison. Of course, I say this not to take anything away from Black Canyon—it is truly an awesome, awesome sight, and certainly far more accessible than Plateau Point :v: Of course, I'll have to hold my total judgement until I can go back and do some real hiking—and maybe get a chance to see it from the North side as well.

(As an aside: In general, Colorado is an awesome state to drive through. If the chance arises to drive across Colorado, particularly either across I-70 or along US 550 between Montrose and Durango, you should absolutely take it)

Chaco Culture National Historic Park, New Mexico

One of many parks dedicated towards preserving the remaining structures built by the Ancestral Puebloans, Chaco Culture is, along with Mesa Verde, by far one of the most impressive. The people who built these structures managed to survive and thrive in the harsh climate of northern New Mexico, and the remains serve as an incredible window into the past. If you have previously visited or have been interested in visiting Mesa Verde, you should put Chaco Culture at the top of your list to visit in the future. (Just be aware: You have to drive through a lot of dirt roads to get there).

Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah

I'd previously visited Bryce back in 2018, but my trip got derailed by unexpected weather and uncoordinated travel plans. This time, I was able to spend a full day hiking the Hoodoos, and finished with some very sore legs to show for it. But it was, of course, all worth it—Bryce is a very cool and colorful park, with all kinds of unique rock formations you'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else. It's not my favorite Utah park (That would be, so far, Canyonlands), but it is well deserving of a visit, and I'm looking forward to hitting the Fairyland Trail on my next trip back.

Zion National Park, Utah

I actually visited Zion twice this year: Once in July with my girlfriend, and later in September with a group of friends from Michigan. The first visit was actually a bit disappointing—I love Zion and was excited to show it off, but when we got there the park was filled with an obnoxious thick haze, and the Virgin River was both low and filled with silt. But, she loved it all the same, and fortunately when my friends came to visit later in the year the air and river were much, much clearer.

Other than hiking to the upper Emerald Pools (Which had been closed by rockfall during my last visit in 2019), I didn't do too much new during this trip. But I still love the area, and in the future I'm hoping I can take the time to really branch out and explore the west and east sides of the park, away from the crowds of the central canyon. I also need to find some hiking buddies to do the entire Narrows as well—that canyon remains one of my favorite hikes in the entire Park system, by far, and I am desperate to see more of it.

Grand Canyon National Park - North Rim, Arizona

If you think you've been to Grand Canyon, but haven't been to the North Rim, then you owe yourself a trip back. Sitting at over 8,000 feet above sea level (A thousand feet taller than the South Rim), the North Rim offers not only a different view of the canyon itself, but an entirely different environment and ecology. It's not uncommon for tourists to see bison wandering through the meadows along the northern boundary of the park, and driving through in the fall will treat your eyes to a rich bounty of colorful aspens. If you want to do some hiking, there's also a ton of great trails—though unlike the South Rim, only one developed trail, the North Kaibab, actually descends into the canyon. It's a great part of the park, and one that's always fun to come back to.

White Sands National Park, New Mexico

Though established as a National Monument in 1933, White Sands is technically one of the country's newest National Parks, having been re-designated in 2019. Compared to the mountains, canyons, and forests of other parks, the rolling dues of White Sands are a very different experience—and indeed, walking the five mile
Alkali Flat Trail barefoot is one of the coolest and most unique experiences I've had in the parks. Just make sure to bring plenty of water. And don't be the kind of person who just drops a banana peel in the middle of a dune, expecting it to magically decompose :negative:

Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Texas

I'll admit to not expecting much of Guadalupe Mountains. I only really went because it was close by to Carlsbad Caverns, and even when I began my hike I wasn't expecting to be wowed. But I'll admit, by the time I came back from hiking Devil's Hall, it had charmed me. It's a dry, rocky park, but once you get into the interior there's some neat rock formations and fun scrambling to be had. I won't say it's near the top of my list to revisit, but if I'm ever in the area? I'd definitely like to swing back by and explore some more of the park.

Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico

One of the absolute coolest places I have ever been, hands-down. I took a lot of pictures, but nothing can capture the feeling and presence of the incredible and spectacular cave system. Descending through the natural entrance is like sinking into an entirely alien world, and I cannot recommend it enough. Go! Do it now!

Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas

Hot Springs is a bit of an oddball park. One of the first places to be set aside by Congress as a natural landmark all the way back in 1832, for the majority of the park's history the springs were used to provide water to a series of increasingly elaborate bathhouses for both therapeutic treatments and simple relaxation. While most of the bathhouses have long since closed, two - Quapaw and Buckstaff - are actually still in operation. But while the historic focus of the park has been the bathhouses, there is some natural beauty to be had hiking up and around the hills around the springs. Definitely not the typical National Park experience, but certainly worth checking out if you're in the area—particularly if you're interested in the history of the springs and the town that built up around them.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 27, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
There's a big burn scar you drive through on the way to the North Rim of Grand Canyon, and it's filled with baby aspens. When I drove through earlier this year, the leaves were all changing color, and the effect of driving past all the orange and yellow leaves was itself like driving through a kind of living fire. It was rad as hell.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

C-Euro posted:

Got within 50 yards of a black bear with cubs earlier today in the Poconos, what's the protocol for de-escalating with those ones again?

In most cases with large predators like bears or mountain lions, there's a few key things to remember:

First: Remember that, for the most part, they don't want to deal with humans. We are also large animals, and it is typically more effort than it's worth to attack us. You can reinforce that instinct by making yourself appear as large as possible and making noise.

Fortunately, black bears aren't typically aggressive, so simply leaving the area should be enough. But one of the most important things you can do is back away slowly—never turn and run. Bears are faster than you, and you make yourself a more appealing target that way. Even if a bear charges you, stand your ground — black bears are prone to bluff charges, where they'll run at you and turn away at the last second. If a black bear does attack you, fight back as much as you can.

There's some more information in these articles here:

https://www.nps.gov/articles/hiking-in-bear-country.htm

https://www.nps.gov/articles/bearattacks.htm

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/safety.htm

I'm actually working at a park with bears for the first time this year, so I've been spending a decent amount of time reading up on bear safety and the history of how NPS has handled bears. We have come quite a long way from where we were in the early days, that's for sure.

Horace Albright, second director of the National Park Service, with a trio of bear cubs at Yellowstone National Park.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Keep in mind that bear spray isn't legal everywhere. I know it's technically not allowed in my park, though (allegedly) it's not something LE will actually ticket for.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

:stare:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Glad to hear you enjoyed Kings Canyon and Sequoia! They're awesome parks, especially once you get out into the backcountry.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Gonna try to head up to Redwoods and Crater Lake tomorrow, any suggestions?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Things like the increased use of concession/private management companies running facilities.

Don't like it. In practice, this usually means less money coming into the parks directly, which exacerbates the existing funding problems.

Like, you know the best way to fix parks right now? Fix the hiring system so it doesn't take five loving months to hire a goddamn seasonal, improve/expand housing so people don't have to live in literal shacks, and improve pay so the parks don't lose everyone but the most insane/dedicated people to the private sector or other agencies. It's not that hard!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Working for Xanterra (or most concessioners honestly) can become straight-up hell depending on the conditions. You get to work in a cool place, but it's for bad pay and the housing can be absolutely awful - and if you don't have a reliable car (and many people don't), then it's easy to feel trapped and isolated in a very remote area.

Zero One posted:

Yeah I just got back from my Yellowstone trip (which I'll write up later) and we stayed at Lake Yellowstone Hotel.

Besides not having housekeeping (which wasn't uncommon with hotels we stayed at even in big cities) the food service was difficult.

Only one option for dinner and the menu never changed. However over several nights we always got slightly different things (like bread service) as they came into and out of stock. Service wasnt great but it wasn't terrible. We were lucky though because I'm a planner and had booked dinner reservations every night. We saw plenty of starving people who couldn't get in on a wait list and had no options for food (except driving 90 minutes away to Cody, I guess).

Many restaurants were just closed. At Old Faithful they had 3 open hotels with only 2 options for lunch. So everyone coming to the main place at the park had a choice between a small counter service location or a cafeteria style place with most "windows" closed.

I don't know about Yellowstone, but at Grand Canyon Xanterra (allegedly) had a huge number of people quit when Covid restrictions lapsed and they tried to force people to have in-room roommates in their dormitories. This closed down most of their restaurants (most of which had only just reopened), and I wouldn't be surprised if the same issue occurred elsewhere, and that they're still struggling to hire enough people to cover the ones that quit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Mammoth Cave is definitely a very neat park, I've been there a couple times and have always wanted to take a longer tour there. It's not quite as visibly spectacular as, say, Carlsbad Caverns, but it's still worth checking out imo—and, as mentioned, the above-ground sections are also very nice.

Just south of Nashville you have the Natchez Trace, a 444-mile long scenic road that goes all the way to Mississippi. There's a bunch of historic sites and trails just off the trace, and in general it's a very pretty drive. I'd certainly recommend it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Epitope posted:

Some people who support and enjoy public lands seem to be very "we must respect in-holdings" for some reason. How about we build a spite fence around them instead? Not really, but maybe we don't need to bend over backwards for them cuz their great great step uncle took a poo poo there

The problem is that most of those in-holdings are owned by locals, and fighting them over comparatively small tracts of land usually isn't worth the time or energy by the park. Locals inherently have more of a stake in things than transitory employees, and they can and will fight for what they think is theirs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Arkhamina posted:

Mesa Verde questions, if people are familiar with it.

I was planning roughly a trip around May 18th, or possibly a little later in June. The guided tours will started (just) by then. Car rental will be as much as air fare, if I rent one - so I was hoping to fly in, cab it to a motel, and the taxi service said it goes to the park. From there, I was hoping to hike and see things, but wondering if I really will need wheels there. I could do the trip for about $700 without, or $1000+ with.

Trail maps show a lot of the trails right from the visitor center. Anyone know if tours are walkable from there, or is it a series of drives? I can hike a good distance (and will be) but it's a BIG park.

Only been there once, but from what I remember you'll definitely need the car to get around. The visitor center is actually below the mesa, and it's an hour drive to get to Cliff Palace from there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's an awesome site for sure. I certainly wouldn't mind going back myself!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I actually visited Joshua Tree myself recently for the first time! I think my experience was somewhat atypical, though...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Well I was gonna make a big post of all the parks I went to last year, but it turns out I may have gone to too many parks and I keep putting off finishing the post :v: So instead, I'll ask what parks are y'all planning on visiting this year? I know I'm gonna try and make it to Haleakala, Hawaii Volcanoes, and Mt. Rainier this year, and would certainly appreciate any advice for visiting those parks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Anyway, have some pictures from last year of some perfectly average-sized trees.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I still need to get to Isle Royale, it's embarrassing that I lived in Michigan for so many years and never made it out there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Rick posted:

YOu might still have a chance to see Grand Canyon north rim if you're early enough, it's much better.

Counterpoint: Driving from Phoenix to the North Rim is at least a six hour drive, it is not in any way doable in a single day trip — though then again, even the South Rim or Petrified Forest would be pushing it from Phoenix — depending on your schedule, you really wouldn't have much time to do anything but get out and walk around at a handful of viewpoints.

For stuff I would recommend that's within a more reasonable drive from Phoenix:

• Sedona isn't a National Park, but it's a beautiful landscape and there's some great hikes to be had out among the red rocks. The Oak Creek Canyon area/Slick Rock State Park is usually busy but extremely pretty and very neat.
  • It's on your list, but I would like to emphasize that Saguaro is a cool park. However, the park is split into two distinct units that are on the opposite sides of the city from each other, so make sure to plan out your trip carefully to make sure you're going to the right place for any planned hikes or sightseeing.
  • Tucson generally is a cool city, I really like it. If it's in your wheelhouse, I highly recommend the Titan Missile Museum and the Pima Air and Space Museum, both are extremely good and very unique museums if you're interested in military or Cold War history.
  • There's a bunch of NPS units between Phoenix and Flagstaff: Montezuma Castle, Montezuma Well, Tuzigoot, Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater, and Wupatki. These sites are small, but are all very cool and worth visiting — especially if you're interested in history, as these sites all preserve Ancestral Puebloan structures/communities.

All this being said, I would be cautious when planning out any hiking or other outdoor activities. It's not as deathly hot as it is in the summer, but central/southern Arizona is still hot well into the fall. Northern Arizona isn't as bad due to the altitude, but still keep an eye on the forecast and bring plenty of water with you on any hikes you might take.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So I'd always meant to write up and post a park update for everywhere I'd went in 2022, and got halfway through it... but then stalled out and never got around to finishing it and whoops now it's 2024. Oh no!

But over the last two years, I've been fortunate enough to hit a lot of parks, almost too many to count! Since this thread is... pretty slow, let's be honest, what I'll do is post about a park I went to in 2022-2023, in chronological order, until I catch up. Let's see if I actually finish before 2025 rolls around...

So, first up:

Independence National Historical Park

Date Visited: January 2022

I have a lot of family in the Philadelphia area, so this was far from my first time visiting Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell. But I hadn't been there in a while, and my partner had never been, so on a cold January day we decided to trudge through the wind and ice to the place where our country was officially founded.

I think one of the most striking things about Independence Hall is how small it is. The ground floor is divided into two large rooms, and that's pretty much it—on one side, you have a court, and on the other side, you have the meeting room that housed the Continental Congress as it debated and toiled over some of the most important documents in world history. It's not even a particularly large room — the Congress Hall next door is comparatively much larger. I'm not going to wax poetic and say you can feel the history, or hear the scratching of pens or the argumentation of representatives if you listen closely enough, I was too busy warming up after standing in line outside to care about that :v: But it is a very interesting and historically important building, and an obvious spot to visit if you're ever in Philly. The nearby Liberty Bell is also neat to visit, and as the pictures above indicate is conveniently positioned to allow for well-framed photos that will doubtlessly get you plenty of likes on social media.

In addition to the two big-ticket spots, there's a whole bunch of historic buildings and museums in the nearby area. Franklin Court, a museum built underneath the site of Ben Franklin's old estate, is particularly neat. The non-NPS affiliated Constitution Center is a bit on the "rah rah :911:" side of things, but does have some neat displays.

Next up: hot stuff

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 10, 2024

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Death Valley National Park

Date Visited: February 2022

Death Valley is an utterly spectacular and stark combination of desert and mountain landscapes. My partner and I went in February of 2022, which turned out to be pretty solid timing — both because of the temperature (~mid 80s at the hottest) and because we went before the devastating floods that wiped out a lot of the park's roads and infrastructure the following summer.

An important thing to know is that Death Valley is a huge park. We did our best to try and see as much as we could over the better part of two days, and yet there were still a ton of things we didn't get to see or do. Climbing sand dunes, exploring ghost towns, hiking through slot canyons... it's all incredible stuff, and well-worth experiencing. Just make sure to visit in the winter, and not in other parts of the year when it's too hot to meaningfully experience most of the park.

Next up: Wet stuff

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 10, 2024

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

abelwingnut posted:

death valley is very cool, but man, is the drive between there and lone pine super annoying. so curvy for so long. just exhausting.

definitely get there from vegas if you can.

Yeah, we came from the Vegas side, staying overnight in Pahrump. It wasn't too far from the park which was nice, plus you get the added bonus of getting to say the town's name. Pahrump.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Big Cypress National Preserve

and

Everglades National Park

Entrance signs at the Gulf Coast Visitor Center (L) and Ernest F. Coe Visitor Center (R)

Date Visited: March 2022

Today's post is a triple threat! In March of 2022, my parents and sister went on a trip to the Florida Keys, and I decided to take advantage of the situation by driving out of my way to visit my great aunt, and, more importantly, visit some parks! Over the course of a few days, I managed to drive through Big Cypress National Preserve, and to visit the Thousand Islands and Flamingo sections of Everglades (Drove through too late to get to Shark Valley, unfortunately)

Unlike many of the other parks I've visited, Big Cypress and Everglades aren't protected for their magnificent vistas or scenic landscapes. They are instead protected for the incredible diversity of plant and animal life that make their home in one of the world's most critical and endangered ecosystems.

Hermit crabs along the shore on the Gulf Coast (L), Alligator swimming through a stream in Big Cypress (R)

That doesn't mean there aren't magnificent vistas to be had, of course — there certainly are! But the focus is much more on the sheer abundance of wildlife and plant life sustained by the ever-flowing "River of grass." And while in spite of my best efforts I was never able to see a manatee, I was still able to see other incredible sights — alligators floating lazily through the dark water, nesting ospreys, and even a seagull engaging in an aerial duel with a juvenile bald eagle over a freshly-caught fish. It's definitely a park I'd love to visit again, particularly if I had the chance to spend more time on the water — and especially if I was able to bring along a better camera for shooting wildlife. The Gulf Coast section in particular is really meant to be explored by boat, with (At the time of my visit) only a small visitor center and a short trail really available to check out.

But hey, they even have a Cold War-era missile battery! Truly there's something for everyone here :v:

BONUS PARK

Biscayne National Park

Speaking of getting out onto the water! Posting Biscayne is cheating a bit on my part (Hence why it doesn't get its own full post), since we weren't able to really do anything — almost the entire park is underwater, and we weren't able to get on one of the various boat tours. It's definitely on the top of the list for a real visit further down the line.

Next up: lake stuff

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 10, 2024

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Icon Of Sin posted:

I used to work at Biscayne! The eastern limit of the park isn’t determined by any geographic feature or landmark; it’s water depth. The park is literally 95% water and ends at 60ft depth, then it becomes NOAA’s Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary (FKNMS/Fuckin’ Ms). There are plenty of mooring buoys around what’s left of the shallow reefs, it’s shallow enough to snorkel and the Biscayne National Park Institute (an allied nonprofit for the park) used to run trips out to them, and I think they still do. At least, if the reefs survived the mass-bleaching event from last summer :smith:

Biscayne is one of the few places that alligators (freshwater) and saltwater crocs cross paths. I’ve seen both in the park before at varying times. We had a few pythons show up while I was there as well, wrestling with one on a 25ft boat is not an experience I want to repeat :v:

That's awesome! And sad at the same time. Climate change is doing a hell of a number on the parks — I just hope I can get to Glacier while the glaciers are still there.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Indiana Dunes National Park

Date Visited: April 2022

Situated on the shore of Lake Michigan between a steel plant on one side and a power plant on the other, Indiana Dunes was designated as a National Lakeshore in 1966 and redesignated as a National Park in 2019. If I were to put on my park snob flat hat, I'd say it probably should have stayed a National Lakeshore — compared to most of the other capital N capital P National Parks, it's pretty small and lacking in ecological diversity and scenic views.

But despite this, there's a reason it is one of the most visited parks in the system, on par with Yosemite, Glacier, and Joshua Tree. Located less than an hour from downtown Chicago, the dunes are an easily accessible stretch of beautiful Lake Michigan shoreline with soft sand, pleasant breezes, and cool water. No less a Chicago native than Stephen Mather himself advocated for the creation of the park in the 1910s, and it's not a bad place to stop by for those who live in the Chicago area. But it's also not a place I'd recommend going out of your way to visit, unless you're already driving through the area.

Next up: board stuff

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 10, 2024

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site

Another site where, sadly, I wasn't able to do too much. I got there just before sunset, long after the building was closed, and was only able to read the outdoor displays and chat with some fellow visitors. Which was honestly disappointing, as it's a site that is arguably just as important as Independence Hall, if not more so — because it was here and at places like Little Rock Central High School where the words of the Declaration of Independence, that "All men are created Equal," were finally put into practice. And unlike the events of 1776, the events that happened in Topeka and in countless other schools across America are still well within living memory. You can feel the weight of history at sites like this, and it is a heavy weight indeed.

Next up: sandy stuff

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 10, 2024

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve

Nestled within the Rocky Mountains is an immense sandbox, the size of which is difficult to convey in pictures. Formed over countless years of erosion, the Great Sand Dunes appear like they would be better-suited to the Sahara, rather than the snow-capped peaks of Colorado. After being underwhelmed by Indiana's so-called "dunes," it was hard not to say "aw yeah, now this is the good stuff!" when I arrived.

The dunes themselves reach up to and over 700 feet tall, and are wide-open for exploration. But climbing and hiking through the shifting sands is much more easily said than done, especially if you do it barefoot (Like I did). But it is an incredibly cool and very unique hike, however, and when you get to the top you're free to gaze out around at towering mountains above and level plains below. There's also, unsurprisingly, plenty of hiking to be had in the surrounding mountains. A very, very cool and unique park.

Next up: tree stuff

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Kings Canyon National Park

Date Visited: April-September 2022

I'm gonna be biased towards Kings, since it's where I spent most of my summer in 2022. Though often overshadowed by its neighbors Sequoia to the south and Yosemite to the north, Kings Canyon is an awesome, awesome park — and despite spending the better part of five months there, I still didn't do everything I wanted to do. It's hard for me to even begin talking about it, since... well, where do you even start? The majestic sequoias of Grant Grove? The stunning scenic drive into one of the deepest canyons in North America? The beauty of the canyon itself? The endless miles of sublime backcountry, towering mountains, and alpine lakes? There's so much there, and it's all incredible.

Of course, you can't talk about Kings without talking about the tragedy of 2021, when the majestic Redwood Canyon was ravaged by the KNP Complex Fire. The fire left deep scares on the park and its personnel, and greatly damaged what was the world's largest intact grove of giant sequoias. Though the damage was not total, the fire still wiped out huge numbers of the big trees. As was explained to me, Kings Canyon rangers used to say we had more sequoias than Sequoia — but now, that's likely no longer true.

Even with the damage caused by KNP and other recent fires, the park is an absolutely incredible place, and one that should be on everybody's bucket list — especially if you enjoy backcountry camping. Just mind the bears!

Next up: even more tree stuff