Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Today I visited a national park for the first time. Petrified Forest National Park is amazingly beautiful! I stopped at every viewing point and all of them were worth it.

It was today's big stop on the way to tomorrow's destination: The Grand Canyon. I don't have waking up at 4-5am in me but I'm going to hike as much of the rim trail as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Grand Canyon is near and dear to my heart, if you have any questions just let me know! For the rim trail, one option you can potentially consider is taking the red route shuttle bus to Hermit's Rest and hiking back from there - less of the trail is paved out that way but it is much less busy out in that direction. Great for sunset, too:

Thank you for the tip about Hermit's Rest. It's beautiful out here and I'm practically alone on the trail.

8one6
May 20, 2012

xzzy posted:

If you get another evening, the Desert View spot at sunset is pretty stunning too.

Won't be alone but it shouldn't be shoulder to shoulder either. You can see west all the way up the canyon and if there's a lot of dust in the air (I think there always is) the layering is bonkers.

Unfortunately I'm not in good enough shape to go back out tonight. After walking around at Petrified Forest yesterday and the (embarrassingly short) hike today I feel like I was kicked down the side of the canyon. All of the walking I've been doing in the past few months helped but today I was sucking wind after only two and a half miles.

It was however the most beautiful two and a half miles I've ever seen.

Tomorrow is about six hours of driving and then Friday I'm spending the day at Zion.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Four national parks in two weeks. I'm strongly considering going to another four next year.