Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

I posted these to Reddit, but thought some people might also enjoy them here. My parents have an old photo album of a family trip to Rocky Mountain National Park from around 1916-1920. I’m not sure of the exact dates because my grandfather (who is the little boy called ‘Bim’ in some of the photos) was adopted, but never knew what year he was born.

There is some cool stuff of my relatives (?) climbing Long’s Peak and other CO hikes, and some photos of RMNP from right after it became a national park.

The photos and album are in good condition, my pics of them are atrocious (apologies), but here’s a lot of them: https://imgur.com/a/6ALhpYq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

These are very cool thanks for sharing! Did I read that right they climbed longs in 3 hours? Thats insane

Yeah, I have no idea—they must have started from pretty high up. I’ve never been up to Long’s.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Woah, awesome! That’s pretty amazing. Thanks so much for finding all of those spots. Weird how the snow looks the same.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Oracle posted:

This is awesome.

You know you should contact the park service about these photos... I want to say they have a program where they use old photos to see how much things like glaciers have receded, this might be scientifically useful!

Yeah, the Repeat Photos Project

I contacted someone in the history department at RMNP. Haven’t heard back yet. There are probably a lot of people out there who have old family photos like this (RMNP was a popular destination even back then), so I’m not sure if they’d be of any interest to people there.

The photos also don’t really show a ton of the permanent snow fields I know are up there. I’ll still write to them and see if they might be interested, though. I mean, why not? Good call.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I would also recommend staying in the park if you can, depending on how many days you’re there. Just because the drive up onto the mesa takes a long time to do each day.