Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pinus Porcus posted:

Can we talk about state parks here? My state's park system actually started with our Highway Commission back in the 20s, essentially as beautification projects for the highways. We have old military bases, some of the longest maritime sand dunes, and other cool stuff

Also, national parks rock and Acadia may be one of the most amazing places I have ever seen in my life

I hope so, because I'm gonna talk about my favorite state park! Its an abandoned open air limestone or phosphate quarry that was filled in with rainwater over time. Its kept as a wilderness preserve and all but 2 days a month, you have to walk in from the main road which on its own is about a one mile walk. However on those two days a month they open the main gate to car traffic and you can drive back to the old quarry parking lot dead in the middle.

Its a popular swimming hole on days its open to drive back because the pits are 50+ foot deep and filled with clean cool water year round. Its also stocked with a number of fish by florida fish and wildlife and is a very interesting fishing spot. You do need to be careful for the occasional water moccasin cruising around though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Pinus Porcus posted:

That sounds awesome! Does the walk help to deter some of the crowds the rest of the time? A lot of our state parks are super crowded constantly which is great in that people love them, but can be frustrating to go recreate.

My favorite state park is the one I currently work at. We are located along some maritime sand dunes and we have 2 dunal lakes to swim in. One of them is so deep, the bottom is like 40ft below sea level. We also have original structures built by the CCC in the 30s, which is super cool.

Pretty much. You have maybe half a dozen to a dozen people in 11,000 acres of preserve. Even on days its open the old mine parking lot doesn't hold more than 3-4 dozen cars. You don't have to see people if you don't want to.

And these ponds are also below sea level! From one of the higher limerock piles you can actually see the Gulf of Mexico, its maybe a mile from the western edge of the park to the gulf.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 20, 2020