Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Seconding Great Basin - the place is gorgeous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
For hiking boot, I’m assuming you’re not in need of decent ankle support, and someone you can find pretty much anywhere?
Merrells aren’t gonna do you wrong, probably. They’re not the best, they’re not my favorite, they’re not too expensive, but they’ll just do.
Lowas are my favorite brand. I love my Renegades more than I love certain family members.
Lemme see if I can find the link to the gear thread for you…
Here we are. It’s been a while since I read the thread, but I think people talk about boots a lot there, scroll through a few pages if you can. And if they’re not talking about boots now, they sure will if you ask.

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 23, 2021

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Surprisingly enough, Grand Canyon was not that packed today. We’ll see if it picks up tomorrow. It’s afternoon and the campground is maybe 1/3 full.

As said above, maybe the lack of international travel?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Thanks!
Been here before, showing my GF. I’ve been kneecapped but a recent accident though, so we’re taking it easy and taking in the sights close to parking lots, stay at Mather tonight and driving out east to stop and see stuff tomorrow. Anything in particular someone who can’t walk super far can do (aside from the big stuff right next to the campgrounds?)

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Driving out towards Desert View is definitely a great way to experience the canyon without having to walk too far from your vehicle, so I endorse that plan. You can also try and swing by the visitor center tomorrow morning after 8am and get an accessibility pass, which will let you drive out towards Hermit's Rest without having to get on and off the shuttle bus.

e: There's also an evening program at 8:30 tonight at Mather Amphitheater, and a Geo-Glimpse program at 9am in the same place. Mather Amphitheater is a decent hike from the campground so you'll probably want to drive over, but it's only about a 5 minute walk from the parking lot at park headquarters.

Just wanted to say thanks for this - the ranger took one look at my knee and gave me the pass. Was able to show my gf more of the park than I thought I would, being able to just park and hobble out was super useful. We did a lot of driving and had a huge long day, so decided to just get to bed instead of stay up later and go to the amphitheater.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Re: Yosemite.
I was there last November and it was amazing, there was almost no one. I saw a completely different park than usual. While there, I got some tips from a couple from Fresno for those who live close to the park. This was while there were still restrictions on entry into the park (you needed a reservation), but bits may still be helpful. They had been there every weekend for months with the strategy of:
1: book a campsite outside the park, close as you can.
2: watch recreation.gov reservations every day, once or twice a day. As you get closer something always pops up for a night, sometimes a week out, sometimes a few weeks out. Book it, especially if it’s the first day of your trip. Sometimes you can cobble together a weekend at different sites and just carry your tent over (that’s what I did).
3: stay at whatever combination you can, but once you get into the park campsites it’s easier to spot cancelations and book them, provided you have service.

A lot of that might not be applicable still since the rules have changed, but I think it comes down to this: be on recreation.gov every day. Be flexible about your dates. Be flexible enough to move sites for the night. It’s worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Finally made it out to Pinnacles National Park. It’s a cute little place, but definitely packed on the weekends. We got there Thursday, left Saturday. Huge difference in crowds from when we got there to when we left.

The hikes they say are easy are very very easy, even if they’re more miles round trip than people who don’t hike would expect. The strenuous hikes looked pretty steep, but the gf didn’t want to try it so I couldn’t tell you.
Also that was a vulture, not a California Condor. Yes, that one too. Yeah and probably that one.
… we probably didn’t see any condors. Good luck spotting one.

Definitely go see this park during the week if you’re in the area, IMO don’t make a huge trip out to see it if you’re not and you’d come on a weekend (unless you like rare birds, in which case I’ll probably see you on the Channel Islands too).