Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
Now that things are opening up again, I was looking to plan a trip to Yosemite with 1-5 other people (I live 3-4 hours driving from the park, so its not hard for me to get there). However, all of the campgrounds seem to be completely booked out for the entire duration that reservations are open. How does one get a campground reservation at Yosemite? Is there a specific time one needs to log into the reservation portal to find just-opened slots? Also, are there other good options for cheap accommodations in the area? I've only ever been with my parents where we stayed at an in-park hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

Thanks for the replies, sounds like Yosemite is not going to work out this summer. We may go to Pinnacles instead, I'm sure it'll be much less crowded there.

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

snailshell posted:

Just made camping reservations at Pinnacles NP with my darling! I haven't been in years, since it was just a National Monument and hadn't been changed into a Park yet. My family also stayed in a hotel in Soledad rather than camping. Anything I should know about camping there? It's not too party-oriented, is it? We're hoping not to have to do any driving, which seems feasible since the park is so small. I'm also a birdwatching weirdo, so I'm hoping that February will be a fruitful time of year for that. Fingers crossed for condors!!!!

I camped at Pinnacles two years ago and the campsite was very quiet and spread out, I don't think you'll have much of an issue with partying. You can get to every trailhead in the park without driving, but you might not want to. It's about 3 miles from the campsite to the Bear Gulch parking lot (next to a very small ranger station/visitor center), and the area in between the campsite and the ranger station isn't nearly as interesting as all the stuff you get to past the ranger station. You may want to save your energy for hiking around the cool part of the park and drive to and from the Bear Gulch area and the campsite. There's also a shuttle bus that runs from the visitor center, which is right next to the campsite, to the Bear Gulch parking lot if you don't want to drive yourself or if there are parking issues. One other thing to note is that as of two years ago there was no internet connection or cell service at the Pinnacles campsite (or anywhere in the park except the top of the high peaks trail).