Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a feel for Crater Lake in the last week of May? Have a chance to spend the night there on a road trip and the NPS site says the rim road doesn't open until June. I'm curious if that's a hard rule or they go ahead and open it whenever the snow retreats enough. Mazama campground opens the 24th and I'll be in the area on the 29th so I assume I'll at least be able to find a place to sleep.

Available webcams kind of show a mixed bag, the crater itself doesn't seem to have a ridiculous amount of snow but some of the road cameras show 5-8 feet.

Basically if they 100% won't open until July I'll pass the area by. But if there's a chance of getting in there I'll keep an eye on conditions.

southern oregon just got a huge snow storm about 2 weeks ago. we've been getting really weird spring/summer winter storms the past 3 years or so, snow in april in the valley, freezing temps in june. the road in doesn't go too high above sea level, it's in good shape maintenance wise. you -should- be fine, but if we get a blizzard in mid may the road may be kinda sketch.

looking at the site, the munsen valley road is open year round at goes up to the crater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it was 80 today. don't count on it