Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Look at y'all, just ignoring Big Bend National Park like everyone else does, the only National Park that has its own mountain range and, I'm pretty sure, the only park that borders Mexico - may be wrong about that. I have quite literally swam across the Rio Grande into Mexico and back at Big Bend multiple times - no one cares!

I have not been in quite some time as I've lived (and hiked and biked) in Southeast Asia for the last decade and a half, until being stuck here during the pandemic, but I went many times back in the day and have hiked nearly every trail, swam in Ernst Tinaja, watched the sun set through The Window and fought off hordes of angry javelinas (not true) in my visits there. I have been thinking I need to go back while I'm stuck here, since I've really enjoyed our state and even county parks (whattup Brazos Bend and Jack Brooks) while I'm stuck in the land of a thousand fences, and this thread seals the deal.

So, wish I could answer more questions, but my knowledge isn't too current - however, I can say that Big Bend is a fantastic national park and you should give it a look-see. As Samdech Hun Sen said about the construction of Cambodia's first new national highway post-Khmer Rouge, "Do not wait for the road to come to you. Please, come visit the road!" except switch road for park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

There’s actually a small Mexican village that you can visit if you bring your passport...
Indeed! Boquillas is not only, essentially, the subject of the Robert Earl Keen song Gringo Honeymoon, but also where my parents took their honeymoon. I have a photo of my father in front of a village store in town from way back in the 1970s. Back then, you paid a guy with a truck that didn't have an alternator to push it over the top of the hill, drive it back up the other side and drop you off. Then you hung out in rural as gently caress Boquillas. No idea what it's like today.