Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
My wife have gone to Acadia at least once a year for the past several years. It more or less got us into hiking and camping and is just a beautiful place where I notice new things each time. Last time we saw lots of sheep laurels in bloom and managed to snag some wild blueberries that had ripened early.

Doing a multiday trip in Glacier is something of a bucket list item for me.

Speaking of the troubled legacy of the parks, funny enough that I read this thread the same day the Sierra Club finally calls out the man standing next to Roosevelt in the OP as a racist shitbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Pinus Porcus posted:

I mean, Roosevelt promoted eugenics...he just got lucky and is remembered for his wilderness preservation strategies by most of society.

Anyway, Acadia is awesome! Have you done any of the non-technical climbs?

Reading about the John Muir thing, it's pretty crazy how insanely racist and terrible people involved in conservation and naturalism were in that era.

By non-technical climbs, do you mean the iron rung trails? We've done most of the big-name ones, including Beehive, Jordan Cliffs, and Precipice. We actually took a trip up in October last year for the Precipice since it's closed for peregrine falcon nesting when we're usually there.

The iron-rung trails are fun and well designed, but can be really crowded, especially the Beehive.

Honestly, I think we've done most of the more well known trails on the eastern side and several on the western. We had planned on trying to snag a campsite at Duck Harbor this year but, you know. One of these days I kind of want to try snowshoeing on the carriage roads.