Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm planning on going to Arches National Park next month. The timed entry only has slots available right now after 2:00 pm. Earlier slots will be released the day before the reservation. I'd rather go earlier in the day, but I'm concerned about getting a spot. If I reserve the 2:00 pm slot now, can I drop it later and reserve an earlier one when those become available? Or will I be locked in at 2:00? I'm not concerned about the $2 reservation fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

xzzy posted:

What kind of vehicle will you have? If you're a little more adventurous there's back entrances you can take and get in there whenever you want. Some of them need high clearance, others AWD will be fine.

Like, look up the Lost and Found canyon parking spot. A bit south of that is the NP border near a spot called Jug Rock. That puts you about a mile away from delicate arch.

Also look up the Lost Spring Canyon access point.

I have a high clearance 4WD vehicle.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cool, I'm driving in from Vail so those aren't necessarily out of the way. Staying in Moab that night.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Went to Joshua Tree on a whim since this hurricane fizzled out. We had some light drizzle for a few minutes, otherwise dry. Everything is very green from the monsoon season. Very few people in the park because of the weather. Unfortunately, the people that were there were still the type of people who go to Joshua Tree.

Not 20 yards from an actual bathroom at Quail Springs -

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mammoth Cave is pretty mammoth though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I forgot I went to Lincoln Birthplace. It's not much more than a parking lot.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I mean if you're heading up into Kentucky then there's always The Bourbon Trail.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My parents are flying out next weekend and they want to go to Joshua Tree.

Its about a 2.5 hour drive from my house, so it's really just a day trip. We have been there before, but only had a few hours.

Is there anything to see in that timeframe besides the main road/viewpoints? Hiking is limited because I have small children.

Coachella is also next weekend. Is that a concern? I imagine we should avoid the south entrance.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Aardvark posted:

We might take our 2yo to Joshua Tree later in the year. But we are definitely going to check out the tide pools at Cabrillo National Monument.

Dang I was just in San Diego all last week, didn't even think of Cabrillo. The USS Midway tour was pretty great though, easily 3 hours to see the whole ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is it worth camping in Joshua Tree vs outside of the park? I have small kids, so I'm not planning on hikes more than a few miles round trip. And I have an America the Beautiful pass, so I'm not concerned about entrance fees.

Also I'm open to campground recommendations.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 13, 2024