Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yosemite and Yellowstone manage to be amazing despite being extremely crowded basically all year round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think it's pretty unlikely that the parks as we know them are going to be a thing in 4 years. The privatization train is chugging hard.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That bill is good, at least some of the reason the parks are in trouble is miners and loggers skipping out on the cleanup after making huge profits so being able to pull in some of money that these companies are making would go a long way. Also it would make these areas less profitable, thus less attractive, which also is nice.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

otter posted:

Oregon trail in reverse day 3:
Rations set to expensive, pace set to grueling.

West Yellowstone, Montana was fairly nice except my 6-year-old had a meltdown when mama wanted to look around at stores and demanded instant dinner. There is a McDonald’s right down the street but mama nixed that and we ate at a diner on the main strip. It wasn’t horribly priced but it wrecked my digestive system.
Breakfast at the hotel was definitely a grade above that at Red Lion the morning before. We drove around the southwestern quarter of the park and saw Old Faithful. Despite sitting in the sun for an hour and a half it was worthwhile to see the geyser blow. I got a couple pictures that looked pretty good. There were too many people overall and we couldn’t have lunch at the grill / gift shop though people had some kind of bbq sandwich that smelled really good. Wife started having a panic attack over the crowd so we went on to Grant Village which was fantastic because there was practically nobody there. The food option was a hot dog. I ordered one and my 8-year-old had one. My 6-year-old had some of my chips but for some reason (too much salt?) he spat his chewed up chips into my uneaten chips and completely ruined my lunch.

Went on to Grand Teton which was fully majestic. I might have enjoyed that drive through to Jackson Hole even more than Yellowstone. Stopped in many places to take pictures. I wish my kids and wife wanted to hike but alas, they all gave up after a few steps. We drove along the trails and it was lovely. I definitely agree with everyone who endorsed the pizzeria at Leeks by the boat landing. Super good food and really reasonable considering. Pizza and the Teton Garlic Bread was less than Wendys in Jackson Hole.

Right about when we got to Jackson Hole my kids became absolutely insane poo poo-fit throwing monsters. They ruined the experience which led to Wendy’s for dinner and arguing in the hotel room.

Also, Under Armor’s hiking shoes are horrible and they gave me monster painful blisters on the backs of my heels. So after one day they are going to goodwill. I need something more comfortable for Rocky Mountain since there seem to be easy trails there. Recommendations?

Yellowstone to Jackson Hole is definitely a great part of the experience. I hope to do it again some day when I have slept for more than an hour at some point over the last 48 hours.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

otter posted:

This is so true.
The mountain views took my breath away, which is hard because living in Oregon is a lot like Yellowstone without the geysers and sales tax. I wasn't blown away by much of Yellowstone because we already live in a mountain-and-river filled valley area which is very accessible.

Jackson Hole was not my favorite, in part due to the fact that it is really no different than Estes Park or any other mountain pass ski resort town. They all have the same everything and it's fairly generic. The hotel was neat because it had bunk beds for the kids (Pony Express) but everything was very overpriced.

We also didn't get to see Dinosaur Monument due to the travel time. I think we are going to go to Olympic NP later this summer and probably Crater Lake again. Gotta get some use out of our annual pass.

We have also discussed doing Vegas/ Hoover Dam / Grand Canyon / etc as a trip in a couple of years.

I agree at Jackson Hole. I guess if you are lucky and are showing up when a good band is in town Jackson Hole is good but it just made me mad that I couldn't get a room because it was 100% booked despite being very expensive and I knew there wasn't anywhere else to stay for many hours.

I don't like to gamble that much so Vegas is not really for me, but, I do enjoy the Vegas -> Grand Canyon drive. It's pretty boring between Vegas and Hoover Dam but the Hoover Dam is amazing and the trip steadily gets cooler after you get past Kingman and are basically enter a freeway through a forest. If it's the right time of year. If you want to do North Rim that is really cool too and after going through the mountains, you pass through some Desert-rear end Desert.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Love the big post Ace.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There's a big burn scar you drive through on the way to the North Rim of Grand Canyon, and it's filled with baby aspens. When I drove through earlier this year, the leaves were all changing color, and the effect of driving past all the orange and yellow leaves was itself like driving through a kind of living fire. It was rad as hell.

This is cool I should try and get up there this year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think the vast majority of the Bisons I've seen are in either Utah around Zion or on the way to the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

But yeah even if Yellowstone was closed the Tetons were very memorable. I was so tired, I'd been on the road most of the previous 19 hours and just lazily returning through the tetons and seeing all the beautiful places beteween there and eventually reconnecting to the 89, truly memorable poo poo, so many beautiful rivers and forest just on the side of the road. It's one of those things I'm not 100% sure how I survived it anymore.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think they have pepper gel now that is harder to gently caress up than bear spray and at least the dude in the vid said it was more effective.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm definitely going to use some of those tips next time I'm in Yosemite.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

What gets it first, beavers or floods?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I actually visited Joshua Tree myself recently for the first time! I think my experience was somewhat atypical, though...

I love this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

https://www.sfgate.com/yosemite/article/yosemite-court-house-crime-procedure-18355589.php

A Yosemite themed courtroom wasn't something I expected to see.

I have a trip planned to Phoenix later in the fall. I hope to get some day trips in for the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Saguaro, and maybe some other cool stuff in the area.

YOu might still have a chance to see Grand Canyon north rim if you're early enough, it's much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Those dunes indeed look great. It's definitely on my to-see list. I really like the Imperial Sand Dunes but I hear that the Great Sand Dunes are a whole other level.