Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We are taking a road trip from Denver to Salt Lake City in late September. Anyone have thoughts on the national parks around there… I guess mainly Arches and Canyonlands and Rocky Mountain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ooo, Black Canyon of the Gunnison sounds great, not sure we can justify the detour but maybe!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Trip report from our vacation the last couple of weeks to Colorado and Utah parks:

Colorado National Monument: was rainy the day we visited so we just did the rim road but it was still amazing views when it wasn’t foggy. My wife was not happy with the lack of guard rails though. Like to the point of not enjoying it.

Arches: was amazing, my new favorite park. Just driving around made me go wow. We spent a day and could have used another whole day since we skipped some hikes. They are doing timed reservations and initially we only got a 2 PM one but they open up more at 6 PM the day before and we were able to reschedule for free for a 7 AM one. Made a huge difference in how tolerable hiking was. That desert sun is no joke. It was crowded but not too crowded… there were always parking spaces at the stops. One pain is that they allowed re-entry but it sucked since you had to wait in the normal entrance line to get back in which wasted a half hour.

Canyonlands: great views from the overlooks, some fun hikes. The park road between the overlooks is mostly boring with no views. Kind of felt like this hit the same points as Dead Horse Point State Park since they are both “look down into a canyon from overlook”. And most people do them back to back since they are both 45 mins from Moab.

Timpanogos Cave National Monument: never heard of this before but we were in Salt Lake City with one day to kill and bored of the city. 30 minutes or so from downtown, and a very pretty valley. It’s a killer hike to the cave entrance (1000 feet elevation gain over 1.5 miles with no flat parts), and then a guided tour of the caves. Very interesting smaller caves, and some fun contortions needed to avoid banging your head on the stalactites. Not anything like the scale of Carlsbad Caverns but fun. We booked tickets the same day, but it was a weekday and hard to do that on a Saturday. Since it’s a tour, the parks pass doesn’t cover it.

Also, we didn’t go to RMNP because we did it on our last trip and they are doing timed reservations and we couldn’t get one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

From the summary, seems like a bunch of random junk. Don’t think that shooting range but is going anywhere. Maybe this is just part of the bill though, seems like they combined a bunch.

quote:

If the public does not need to obtain a permit or reservation to access an existing picnic area, neither the Department of the Interior nor the Department of Agriculture (USDA) may require an outfitter or guide serving fewer than 40 clients to obtain a permit to access that site.

Interior and USDA shall construct and designate shooting ranges on National Forest System land and public land administered by the Bureau of Land Management for the public to use for recreational target shooting.

Interior and the Forest Service shall enter into an agreement with the Rural Utilities Service to install or construct broadband internet infrastructure at recreation sites on federal land.

The Bureau of Reclamation shall establish a competitive grant program to provide grants to conduct inspections and decontamination of watercraft in reservoirs operated and maintained by Interior, including to purchase and operate a watercraft inspection and decontamination station.

Interior and USDA shall establish a pilot program under which Interior or USDA may enter into an agreement with a private entity providing for capital improvements (including the construction of structures and improvements), management, and maintenance by the private entity of a campground on federal land.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Going to Nashville for a wedding and want to stay longer. Any good national parks within an easy drive that people would recommend? I see Mammoth Cave but we’ve been to a few caves already.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ha!
https://www.nps.gov/places/symbolic-birth-cabin.htm

Very historic-ish.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Mammoth Cave trip report:

To see the cave you need to book a tour. In late April, not much need to book far ahead for any of the daily tours. Apparently very different in the summer which leads to a lot of disappointed people.

We debated a lot over which tour to take. Ended up doing the Violet City lantern light tour. The whole thing is only lit by vintage lanterns and is intended to mimic the tours of a hundred years ago. It was very cool but three hours long and got to be a bit of a slog two thirds through. Lanterns honestly aren’t a very good light source and so you had to look down a lot to not trip. And they didn’t really illuminate the whole cave and the point of this cave is that the chambers are huge. Tour guide was really great though.

Would have liked to go back another day for the more basic tour but alas, no time.

Definitely worth going to, even if you’ve seen other caves since it’s a bit different. Not really any stalactites or stalagmites, just big rooms with fairly flat ceilings.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We enjoyed the hike across the Kīlauea Iki crater although it’s a longer hike than the mileage would suggest and bring more water than you would think.

https://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/hike_day_kilaueaiki.htm

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Brown v. Board of Education National Historic Site is in Topeka, Kansas for anyone else who doesn’t remember their history class. (Oops it does say that, I missed it on first read.)

I’ve never been in Topeka personally.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wish we had gone to Black Canyon. It was just a little too far of an out and back drive for our road trip schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I was there in late May a few years ago and there was still snow on the ground on the rim. It was pretty though.