Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Alastor posted:

Will vouch for this. Went to college in Gunnison. I go back every year. The Black Canyon will make you feel small and fragile in a big way. The Grand Canyon is longer, but the highest cliffs in North America are in the Black Canyon, and there's no railing at the highest point. If you truly want to poo poo yourself and feel dizzy because you're so far up that you lose the ability to tell which way up is, this is the place for you.

Also, park is a complete secret. I believe this is the least used, but in my mind the most amazing, of all the National Parks.

North rim is usually not very crowded, and the better choice if you want to hike to the bottom. The permits are self serve rather than limited count at the visitors center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Alastor posted:

That is also where the tallest cliff is, at Exclamation Point.

The site where, for the first time in my life, I felt like I might actually poo poo myself.

I had an experience like that too, but in reverse. Was at the bottom of the SOB draw, about to come back up. (Within sight of exclamation point, at the bottom on the north shore.) I heard some climber up above yell ROCK and I looked up and saw a bigass rock coming off the side of the nearer cliff breaking off about 200m up the draw. It hit the draw and shattered and poo poo started coming all downhill pretty hard. Ducked behind a large rock I was near and waited for it all to go over my head.

Also I dunno what these huge bugs are but there were a bunch at the bottom of the canyon and it was super neat. Looked like fairies shimmering in the sunlight as they were flying around.